1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get Your 300D into AI Servo Mode.....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Johndm, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Found this on another forum....

Need to try this out......SOON!

Question.
    I realize that the only place AI SERVO can enacted is in the Sports Mode...But I have also heard that you can trick it into AI SERVO by slightly adjusting the focal length with the shutter half depressed...

Answer.
    Tricking AI servo, three ways I know... (works in ANY mode)

1. Achieve focus lock on a subject and then whilst keeping the shutter half depressed and the subject centered, move the lens focus ring - camera drops into AI servo and will stay there as long as the shutter is kept half depressed. (Only works with lenses that support full time manual focusing such as Canon USM and Sigma HSM lenses)

2. Achieve focus lock on a subject and whilst keeping the shutter half depressed use the lens zoom mechanism to zoom in slightly. Camera drops into AI servo and will stay there as long as the shutter is kept half depressed. Obviously only works with zoom lenses and doesn't work with parfocal lenses.

3. Achieve focus lock on a relatively close subject and then whilst keeping the subject centered, and the shutter button half depressed take a step forward. Camera drops into AI servo and will stay there as long as the shutter is kept half depressed.

All three methods take a little practice and some methods work better with some lenses than others. Fairly easy to do though.

2. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    .. or you can load the Russian firmware update and select it manually :smashin:

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Point being.....No hack required.. :smashin:

Correct me if wrong, but I thought AI Servo was still a problem with 'The Hacks' ?

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Not as far as I remember. Can't be sure though. Maybe someone who has it loaded can confirm or deny?

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    many swear by the hack. Check this out.