Get you V+ box upgraded to the new one now

markymark34

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Complained about the original V+ box being slow and unresponsive and they very kindly brought me a new one. You wont realise how bad the old one is until you get a new one! Channel changes are instant and there isnt the occasional 'caching' of button presses. I feel like ive got a whole new system. Obviously you will loose all your recorded programs but its worth it. Ring up now and ask!

Mark

I wouldn't be too hasty there are problems with the Samsung box as well.

Called up on Thursday regarding my ageing silver SA 'Telewest' V+ box.
Explained that it is really slow & keeps becoming un-responsive now and again.
Engineer round on Saturday, took one look at the box, and replaced with the new Samsung box! :thumbsup:
Result. It really is leagues better than the old box, even the SD picture quality looks better, which was suprising!
Thanks Virgin! :cool:

Called up on Thursday regarding my ageing silver SA 'Telewest' V+ box.
Explained that it is really slow & keeps becoming un-responsive now and again.
Engineer round on Saturday, took one look at the box, and replaced with the new Samsung box! :thumbsup:
Result. It really is leagues better than the old box, even the SD picture quality looks better, which was suprising!
Thanks Virgin! :cool:

I have a much more recent SA box and would be very wary about swapping for the Samsung. Firstly the SD picture could hardly be better - you experience may be due to your settings and your TV. Many people on here have reported that they are unhappy with the SD on the Samsung.

Secondly my V+ outputs RGB on the VCR scart - no not all do! - but the Samsung definitely does not.

I do not have much problem with speed of reaction of the box. The worst is putting in channel numbers sometimes, but using up/down or the epg is direct. I have also found on a couple of occasions when I got an apparent freeze up the problem was the remote not the box.

It's worth also noting that the Samsung V+ box has no component out. That screwed up my cabling for my Slingbox a bit!

I was told by the virgin tech guy who come to my house the other day that they won't be giving out the Samsung boxes in my area till about 3 months time, but he told me to ring up and ask for a new one in about 3 months.

He also told me that virgin are aware of the problem and will be sending an update to all the existing boxes (He said it will be the same way that we received the update when virgin took over and the interface changed to the new black colour) which will be in about a years time. He said it was not the boxes fault but the software that runs on them that causes the slowness.

My guess is that the Samsung boxes can run the software faster. I also noticed that for some reason the new V+ remotes (which I received) worked faster when I compared it to the old style remote. Apparently they are giving out the new remotes as standard.

I was told by the virgin tech guy who come to my house the other day that they won't be giving out the Samsung boxes in my area till about 3 months time, but he told me to ring up and ask for a new one in about 3 months.

He also told me that virgin are aware of the problem and will be sending an update to all the existing boxes (He said it will be the same way that we received the update when virgin took over and the interface changed to the new black colour) which will be in about a years time. He said it was not the boxes fault but the software that runs on them that causes the slowness.

My guess is that the Samsung boxes can run the software faster. I also noticed that for some reason the new V+ remotes (which I received) worked faster when I compared it to the old style remote. Apparently they are giving out the new remotes as standard.

Yes its a software issue but as they havent tried to fix it since the box came out it seems unlikely they will now when a replacement box has been produced.

Are there long term goals to replace the SA box and shift encoding to Mpeg4..?

When Tivo finally happens, can we probably assume it will be SA and Samsung boxes, samsung box only or a whole new box..?

I heard that MPEG2 will still be used and TiVO will be a software change on existing STB hardware. How this fits with future IPTV I'm not sure...

Complained about the original V+ box being slow and unresponsive and they very kindly brought me a new one. You wont realise how bad the old one is until you get a new one! Channel changes are instant and there isnt the occasional 'caching' of button presses. I feel like ive got a whole new system. Obviously you will loose all your recorded programs but its worth it. Ring up now and ask!

Mark

Thanks to your input I phoned Virgin yesterday (18/05/2010) and was told they couldn't just send me a new box,but would have to send an engineer to get a report.
Engineer arrived today (19/05/2010) at 8.30am no less :smashin:--Well done to Virgin on their customer service :clap:-- Within 2 minutes I had explained the problems and what Virgin had told me,making it plain that after years of putting up with 'laggy' performance I would not be happy with any re-booting,re-starting,taking out of cables and plugs BLAH,BLAH :nono:
After the above 2 minutes of explanation a brand new shiny box was sitting on my living room floor.
I am now the proud owner of a Super-fast non-laggy V+ Box and I'm not listening to anyone who mentions any problems :rolleyes: - I shall deal with that if,and when, it occurs!
Your comments gave me the balls to finally do something at last in a direct ,but positive manner ( You get more results being polite and calm with people who,at the end of the day,are only doing their job as instructed :) )
I hope these discussions benefit others who may be in same boat as we have been in.

Last edited:
It's worth also noting that the Samsung V+ box has no component out. That screwed up my cabling for my Slingbox a bit!

I agree,leaving out the 'component out' has caused me a couple of hours of messing around with cables,but after a bit of fidding and prioritising of cables/Amp settings am all good again.
I do feel component is a much under-rated HD solution :mad: and really should not be ignored !!

I do feel component is a much under-rated HD solution :mad: and really should not be ignored !!

But it will be because component offers no means by which HDCP can be implemented. Component will be discontinued altogether on all AV equipment eventually and if you do still use it then you may soon find a lot more copyrighted content inaccessible.

Wavod why do you thank for input on a query that was not yours and the previous post is over 3 months ago??????????? 10/10 for searching but if you think your problem is same or slightly different then please start new thread with reference to the old thread. Things may have changed since then!

Whatever I refute this slow label that is given to the SA V+. Following a suggestion on another forum I have timed it by a timecode recordings. Generally IMHO I think that the problems arise more with the remote than the box. Or that people do not really understand how to operate it - however I admit the operating instructions leave a lot to be desired!

Wavod why do you thank for input on a query that was not yours and the previous post is over 3 months ago??????????? 10/10 for searching but if you think your problem is same or slightly different then please start new thread with reference to the old thread. Things may have changed since then!

Whatever I refute this slow label that is given to the SA V+. Following a suggestion on another forum I have timed it by a timecode recordings. Generally IMHO I think that the problems arise more with the remote than the box. Or that people do not really understand how to operate it - however I admit the operating instructions leave a lot to be desired!

1) I thanked for input on a current problem with my system,so not out of date,thus making the timing of my reply irrelevant !!

2) I use a Harmony One Universal Remote and had the same problems with both this and the supplied remote.

3) I know how to use the remote to it's full extent,as I'm sure most people do who have come across this similar problem. Maybe you have just been very lucky!!

4) Day two of New Samsung Box and am still noticing big differences in speed of navigation-in particular Catch Up Tv On Demand.

1) I thanked for input on a current problem with my system,so not out of date,thus making the timing of my reply irrelevant !!
Sorry disagree very confusing:confused:

2) I use a Harmony One Universal Remote and had the same problems with both this and the supplied remote.

OK just a problem I have had

3) I know how to use the remote to it's full extent,as I'm sure most people do who have come across this similar problem. Maybe you have just been very lucky!!
I am not so sure as its not knowing how to use the remote but using the best sequence to get where you want.

4) Day two of New Samsung Box and am still noticing big differences in speed of navigation-in particular Catch Up Tv On Demand.

Intresting as I thought all VOD service interactions were not done in the box but are the response times by VM servers to your request to download?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom