Get WiFi to my garage

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by d000hg, Aug 20, 2013.

1. d000hg

d000hg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a standard Sky Wifi router in my living room, which works great throughout the house but for some reason is really struggling when I try to use my iPad from my garage. The garage is directly behind my house about 25 feet away, and the router is up against the window with line of sight to the garage, but even so it's really crummy reception (the garage door is open).

I am wondering if the double-glazed window could be the problem and if I just need a WiFi repeater or something on the other side of the window. But I'm not sure what I am looking for... I don't really want a repeater which picks up the signal and re-broadcasts it, but a cable from the router to an outside device. It only needs to be a few feet long.

Does something like this exist - maybe it plugs into an ethernet port - and what would it be called?

2. nowthatswhatica

nowthatswhatica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have a two ethernet power plugs and a wifi router if your interested in buying them.

I can give you more details if you want when I reach home.

3. d000hg

d000hg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks but I'm not really sure that answers my question... my router is already as close to the garage as is possible with it inside the house. I am after getting something that just cuts the double glazing out of the equation.

4. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think what he meant was ... If the garage is on the same ring as the house then you could make use of the homeplugs to transmit the ethernet and either use it wired, or set a router up as an access point and have lots of lovely garage wifi.

5. nowthatswhatica

nowthatswhatica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yep that's what I meant. I was in a rush.. Didn't double Check what I wrote.
    Thanks mate.

6. d000hg

d000hg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, I see. The garage is across the back lane and as such has no power supply at all. Otherwise you're right, this would be a perfect option but sadly I'm stuck with improving wireless reception. It really is very close though - the entrance to the garage is closer the router than my upstairs bedroom which gets excellent signal through all the internal walls.

7. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Basically using nowthatswhatica's gameplan you can repeat your wifi from anywhere there is a mains socket on the same ring. If you did have an outside plug that was line of sight to the garage you'd be done but you perhaps don't. What about upstairs? Are the windows the same style? Is there a position that doesn't have thick sheets of glass between where you could place a router and the garage? (I can picture a router being dangled out of a window with a pole now :)

Another alternative might be to boost what you have got. Are you using 2.4GHz? Better range than 5GHz, if Sky Routers give you the option. Have you checked whether you are on crowded channels. Maybe your neighbour's router is on the same channel as yours and he is nearer your garage - that could explain why you get the signal strengths you do.

Last Heath Robinson suggestion. Ethernet cable from Sky Router to any old router configured as an AP hung out the window when you are in the garage tinkering?

8. d000hg

d000hg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well all other things aside, it needs to be a waterproof solution :) It doesn't have to be a fixed/permanent solution though.

With the solutions going, I guess I could put a homeplug on a short extension cable hung out the window but I'm not too keen hanging mains power in the rain ;) Isn't there something I can plug directly into the router and then hang that out of the window?

9. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    You could use a Ubiquiti Access Point - they have various models that are powered via the network cable (so the power supply
    stays indoors next to your router) and that are designed for use outside. You can also get models that can use directional antennas to focus their signal in one particular direction. A Picostation or Nanostation would be good models to look at.

10. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,710
    That could be worth investigating: At the "end of the garden" the difference between your wi-fi transmissions and your neighbours is likely to be less pronounced than when you're indoors (close to your AP.)

Imagine everyone turns on their stereo at more or less the same volume. When sat next to yours, you'd hear very little of everyone else - but if you wandered down the garden, you'd hear much more of a general cocophony and it would harder to discern your music from everyone elses.

Running up something like InSSIDer and taking a survey would be worthwhile. A better (clearer) radio channel may be available (though these days I wouldn't get my hopes up in the 2.4GHz waveband unless you live in the middle of a big field.)

You may also suffer from near-far asking - the devices indoors near to your AP effectively "drown out" the ones further away. Rememeber that wi-fi works like walkie-talkies - clients need to "hear" AP's and AP's need to "hear" clients.

If you do hand up an additional AP, pay attention to the channel usage to minimise (and preferably avoid) both your AP's using the same or similar radio channel.

An AP with detachable antenna would allow you to keep the equipment inside and just run the RF leads to externally mounted antenna. However, it's possible such such a solution would be more expensive than a dedicated "external" grade AP.

I'd be surprised if Windows are a problem - most modelling tools have glass at a lower attenuation figure than masonry. "Wet" things (like trees, foliage) might be a bigger problem.