Get The Gringo Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
“We got two clowns heading south on Wall 51!”

Many people are calling this Payback 2: In Mexico. You know what? They’re right.

Mel Gibson’s had a tumultuous few years. Between leaked conversations highlighting sexism, racism and anti-Semitism, and increasing evidence to support the fact that he’s been a functioning alcoholic for decades, he’s become a pariah in Hollywood, and has lost plenty of fans in the process.

Thing is – he’s a good actor and a good director (evidenced by Braveheart alone) and, despite his issues, he’s still capable of doing a professional job: even drinking beer for breakfast whilst filming Lethal Weapon 2 didn’t prevent him putting in a memorable performance.

Over the last few weeks we’ve had the chance to take a look back at some of the key blockbusters in his career. Don’t think for a second that this is a complete...

Read the full review...

Great review and I really enjoyed the movie.

Kinda surprised Cas didn't mention Marching Powder (Marching Powder - Rusty Young) in your review. I guessed it was fairly famous, but perhaps not. Well worth a read as the real situations inside San Pedro prison in La Paz (which Get The Gringo is quite blatantly based on) are gripping (and frequently somewhat graphic) and the "star" is British.

We tried to visit when we visited there last year, but sadly (at least according to the heavily armed guys on the door) public visits have ended.

Thanks for your review. I must admit when I clicked on the title, I seriously wasn't expecting it to have achieved an 8 out of 10!!? Most Statham movies get around 6-7 on IMDB and this is where I saw this to be. I recently completed playing Max Payne 3 on PS3 and the trailer really reminded me of that experience... a fun video game with plenty of action. So I'm asking again.... 8 out of 10? Really? If you stick by that then I am compelled to watch this (especially if it's as mad and fun as Machete!! ;))

Apocalypto is a cinematic masterpiece in my opinion and should be hailed as an audio-visual classic. I'll take "Get The Gringo" for what it is but I'll be very surprised if I watch it more than once.... we'll see.

Again, many thanks for reviewing it for us. :smashin:

Great review and I really enjoyed the movie.

Kinda surprised Cas didn't mention Marching Powder (Marching Powder - Rusty Young) in your review. I guessed it was fairly famous, but perhaps not. Well worth a read as the real situations inside San Pedro prison in La Paz (which Get The Gringo is quite blatantly based on) are gripping (and frequently somewhat graphic) and the "star" is British.

We tried to visit when we visited there last year, but sadly (at least according to the heavily armed guys on the door) public visits have ended.

Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the review! :thumbsup:

I'll be sure and look up that book, sounds like some quality background reading! It certainly was a great cinematic use of a rich real-life location; gave the movie an original edge.

Cheers, Cas

Thanks for your review. I must admit when I clicked on the title, I seriously wasn't expecting it to have achieved an 8 out of 10!!? Most Statham movies get around 6-7 on IMDB and this is where I saw this to be. I recently completed playing Max Payne 3 on PS3 and the trailer really reminded me of that experience... a fun video game with plenty of action. So I'm asking again.... 8 out of 10? Really? If you stick by that then I am compelled to watch this (especially if it's as mad and fun as Machete!! ;))

Apocalypto is a cinematic masterpiece in my opinion and should be hailed as an audio-visual classic. I'll take "Get The Gringo" for what it is but I'll be very surprised if I watch it more than once.... we'll see.

Again, many thanks for reviewing it for us. :smashin:

Yep, the movie surprised me too - there's no way I expected to end up rating it that highly!

Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised too. It's not a masterpiece but it's a very good little low budget flick from an on-great-form Gibson. Think I'm actually looking forward to his villainous turn in Machete 2, although I still hope he does another few decent lead vehicles like this.

Do let us know what you think whenever you do get around to checking it out.

Cheers, Cas

Thanks for the review Cas,looking forward to watching it :)

My pleasure mate, glad you enjoyed the review, make sure you pop back on to let us know what you think after you've watched it :smashin:

Think I'm actually looking forward to his villainous turn in Machete 2, although I still hope he does another few decent lead vehicles like this.

Do let us know what you think whenever you do get around to checking it out.

Cheers, Cas

Will deffo check it out, very much looking forward to it.

And Mel in Machete 2???!!! I thought that was a joke! But here's the IMDB listing:

Machete Kills (2013) - IMDb

:D:laugh::rotfl::clap:

Can't wait!!! ;)

Last edited:
great review, nails the movie quite perfectly for me....

i watched this the other night expecting a bit of a car crash (pun intended :devil:) and was massively surprised by how much i enjoyed it. Well done Gibson!!

great review, nails the movie quite perfectly for me....

i watched this the other night expecting a bit of a car crash (pun intended :devil:) and was massively surprised by how much i enjoyed it. Well done Gibson!!

Sorry for the late reply, glad you enjoyed the review and the movie! :thumbsup:

Hopefully more people will discover this little Gibson gem. :smashin:

Thanks for taking the time,

Cas

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom