Question Get sound from laptop to PC Speakers

mr starface

After a bit of help here please! So to set the scenario.....

I have a work laptop and also on same desk my home PC.
The work laptop is connected to my main monitor via HDMI and I switch back and fore between the screens as needed.
My monitor has no speakers.
My home PC is also connected to the monitor and I have a 2.1 speaker setup attached to the PC as well.

What I want is to be able to have is a way of outputting the laptop sound to the speakers when needed and have a manual switch or something so I can have the speakers either play sounds from the laptop or home pc as needed.

Have seen loads of dongles/splitters but not sure what I need to be able to achieve this and also use the monitor as I currently do. The laptop has usual connections for headphone, usb, hdmi and usb-c. The speakers have the standard 3 audio jack connection to my home pc.

Can somebody advise on what I need to buy to get everything working? Thanks for any help!

mr starface

EDIT - Just seen you can buy a usb soundbar/speaker which I guess would solve the problem but dont want more speakers on the table unless necessary!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Stereo speakers generally only use a single 3.5mm jack or two phono connectors. The 3x3.5mm setup is typically for surround sound so if you're seeing three jacks it may be the speakers already support multiple inputs and have a built in switch.

jimscreechy

If your desktop and laptop both have 3.5mm jacks then something like THIS would probably do.

Generally you would use a KVM switch (keyboard Video Mouse) for such things, as it allows you to switch all your devices between 2 hosts/computers. Many of them had additional ports for sound devices.

Theze days they tend not to have the 3.5mm jacks but have USB instead. Though with a little searching (I suggest ebay rather than Amazon as they tend to have more obscure products and are cheaper) I'm sure you could find one that has the 3.5mm jack switch and possibly other switching facilities like USB and monitor as well.

You will obviously need additional cables, from your computer and laptop to the switchbox. Also your laptop may have a combined headphone and mic socket as opposed to separate sockets for headphone and mic which is a slightly older configuration. in this case it will have for connectors for the socket tip-ring-ring-sleeve, and you should get the appropriate cable if this is the case.

next010

Distinguished Member
If your monitor has a 3.5mm headphone jack that can work as an output for the speakers, set your audio output in windows as HDMI or Displayport whichever the GPU uses to connect to the monitor.

eaglemmoomin

Wouldn't blue toothspeakers that still have traditional inputs as well do the job. Connect the PC as per normal. Then use bluetooth from the laptop to the speakers.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If your monitor has a 3.5mm headphone jack that can work as an output for the speakers, set your audio output in windows as HDMI or Displayport whichever the GPU uses to connect to the monitor.
Is what I do here. No speakers in the monitor, but it does have an audio (headphone) jack which works perfectly well with powered speakers. Thus - whatever is connected to the monitor's HDMI input produces image and sound. Without knowing exactly what monitor, it's impossible to confirm whether this would work for you.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom