Get SkyHD first then buy new telly?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Wilt, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

My current tv is a Tosh 36ZP48 which is not a HDTV but manages 480p from DVD and Xbox. If get Sky HD, will I still be able to watch and record HD programes which aren't copy protected via component?

I then intend to take the STB with recorded HD material on the hard drive to an electrical store, to test out a few HDTV's using a HDMI cable, in order to find one that I'm happy to purchase.

If HD-DVD arrives here before SkyHD. Then I'll do my testing with HD-DVD instead.

Kind regards

Wil

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yes, so long as it supports 720p @ 50hz.

Recording HD - I'm not sure how DVD recorders with Component inputs work, but I imagine it would work fine but of course scale the image down to DVD resolution.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Without a HD telly the cost of SKY+ HD is a bit much, it would be for me:)

As long as you are paying the subscription you can certainly record using the SKY+ HD but no practical way to record the HD via component and leave the video intact although a PC solution would work it isn't very elegant. The only way you could watch the HD programming is to have the STB down convert (assuming it does this) to SD which again makes the initial investment unattractive.

HD-DVD could indeed arrive before SKY+ HD but it ain't going to be cheap and the movies will be at a premium compared to DVD, so again purchasing one before the display is questionable.

The easy option would be to wait because both SKY+ HD and HD optical disks will be showcased in a decent retail outlets at launch not only to shift those products but the displays as well.

4. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lyris

I meant record HD on the Sky STB.

I would so like to get HD telly in time for Xbox360. But something is telling to wait for HD film material to become available then go and try out some tvs. I know if I go into shop displaying HD-DVD/SkyHD on one telly, they wouldn't be arsed to try it on another telly i'm interested in, if I asked them to do so. Thats why I want to take some HD film material and do it myself.

5. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Note that you can't just take a Sky+ STB box somewhere and plug it into a tele and play what you've recorded off the hard drive. Sky+ still needs a satelite signal to verify that you're allowed to watch what you've recorded. For example anyone can record a movie off Sky Movies but only people who have subscribed to Sky Movies can actually watch it and you need a satelite signal to verify that.

6. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sparky

I just disconnected the the two cables from the back of my Sky+ box. i can still watch the movies I recorded on the hard drive?

7. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Try powering it off with the satelite connections unplugged and then power it up again, see if anything recorded works. I've had a few occasions when a storm is passing and the satelite signal is lost and that has stopped me watching a recorded program.

8. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Your right there Sparky. Oh well. I can forget about that idea.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

A decent retailer would demo HD on a TV they already have on display and if a high street store isn't willing then pay a visit to a respected AV dealer/retailer who will know far more about the technology then the box shifting stores anyway.