Get Proper Builders In She Said

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
That's good to know. How would they go about it - I have seen those plastic templates that are back box sized with loads of guide holes for drilling. Guess you drill loads of holes and then chip out the remainder. But it still seems like a challenge, especially given there will be all the wires in the way.

Cheers,

Nigel
I have done many of these types of thing in the past and although there may well be cables I can assure you it really is not a major job to deepen the holes for the back boxes, this would be a labourers job not the electricians.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Wow. Professionals these are not.
That's a shocking level of ineptitude.

Hopefully you haven't paid all of the bill yet!

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
It’s not a major job to sink the back boxes in but there will be making good needed around the box. The old back box won’t just magically pull out. For a start there’s going to be a couple of cables in there I would hope. Re plastering and painted around the boxes will be highly likely.

Cheapest and worst looking alternative would be one of these. Least disruption. Not ideal but it’s an option at least.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I have done many of these types of thing in the past and although there may well be cables I can assure you it really is not a major job to deepen the holes for the back boxes, this would be a labourers job not the electricians.
Probably the electricians job to be fair.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Probably the electricians job to be fair.
Not on the building sites I have worked on, not saying an electrician wouldn't do it but generally a labourer will cut the chases out for any conduit and the back box spaces.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
we’re talking about deepening the back boxes on an already wired in installation. Sparks job IMO.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
5G just means 5th generation. Nothing to do with the speed as such.
we’re talking about deepening the back boxes on an already wired in installation. Sparks job IMO.
The sparks cut out the back box holes on my recent build.
I was talking about building site where labourers would do this type of job, obviously on smaller builds then the sparkie is likely to do it as there will probably be only one labourer and he will be busy humping what materials are needed and cleaning up.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Agreed, these sockets are wired and live.

If it were building work prior to wiring then I would expect that the builders could cut the holes for the back boxes but equally it could be the electrician. But when it comes to working with sockets that are wired and live I would expect an electrician to do it.

Question - as this is new installation does it need to be inspected, signed off with a certificate or is that only for rooms with water (kitchen, bathroom etc.)

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

ufo550

Agreed, these sockets are wired and live.

If it were building work prior to wiring then I would expect that the builders could cut the holes for the back boxes but equally it could be the electrician. But when it comes to working with sockets that are wired and live I would expect an electrician to do it.

Question - as this is new installation does it need to be inspected, signed off with a certificate or is that only for rooms with water (kitchen, bathroom etc.)

Cheers,

Nigel
All this chit chat about sinking in some boxes, I don’t know :)

All electrical work, alterations & additions or new work requires inspection & testing & certification; from your posts that doesn’t seem to of taken place, i.e. down lights not working.

Additionally, if you’ve had (domestic properties England & Wales) new circuits installed, consumer unit replacement, work carried out in special locations (e.g. in zones in bathrooms & additional requirements for Wales), your LBC needs notification. This can often be included with the original planning or building regs for your extension/build approval. Best have that verified by your LBC. Whenever I did work on extensions etc, I notified LBC regardless.

Last edited:

IronGiant

This isn't a DIY conundrum, he's paying someone to do this properly.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
no Drama, it’s a viable option worth throwing into the mix, certainly for the socket, considering it might be hidden, wont involve re plastering, sanding, dust and the potential for the builder to ruin a brand new carpet. It’s certainly not a nonsense idea.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Having looked again, I think you’re probably right there. More designed for when the back box isn’t actually poking out through the finished wall surface :suicide:

stiv674

A decent electrician should be able to chase in those back boxes without making to much mess, even with the cables there.

ufo550

Additionally, if you’ve had (domestic properties England & Wales) new circuits installed, consumer unit replacement, work carried out in special locations (e.g. in zones in bathrooms & additional requirements for Wales), your LBC needs notification. This can often be included with the original planning or building regs for your extension/build approval. Best have that verified by your LBC. Whenever I did work on extensions etc, I notified LBC regardless.
Wots scores on the doors @nheather?

MSW

If it it were me I would tell the builder that I want:

1) All electrical (plugs, switches, lights removing
2) The room re-skimming (inc ceiling)
3) All electrical fitting put back flush (after you have re-painted)
4) As part of a concession you would be happy to pay for the skim and would take care of repainting

There is the argument as to why should you but, you mention you are a perfectionist so you will never be really happy.

You infer that you were looking into making good yourself which suggests you are prepared to spend money and time on getting it right

By doing the above you get the main snags properly sorted whilst not overly crucifing the builder

in reality the only issue with the above is your wife who will not like the idea of the mess and delay

MSW

Seems a bit of a long way round of doing things, instead of chopping in a couple of back boxes?
It is and only mentioned as OP referred to being a perfectionist and the issue is not limited to just one electrical fitting I.e plus or lights but three I.e lights, switches and plugs plus,pmthe fact that the filler round the window really need to be Gypsum anyway.

we’re the issue on limited to say 1 or 2 points rather than four and OP not being a perfectionist then making good would suffice.

old striker

If it it were me I would tell the builder that I want:

1) All electrical (plugs, switches, lights removing
2) The room re-skimming (inc ceiling)
3) All electrical fitting put back flush (after you have re-painted)
4) As part of a concession you would be happy to pay for the skim and would take care of repainting

There is the argument as to why should you but, you mention you are a perfectionist so you will never be really happy.

You infer that you were looking into making good yourself which suggests you are prepared to spend money and time on getting it right

By doing the above you get the main snags properly sorted whilst not overly crucifing the builder

in reality the only issue with the above is your wife who will not like the idea of the mess and delay
[/QUOTE
I really cannot justify your comments @MSW
How can you think that it is acceptable to pay a tradesman again for the work that they have already fudged up. You have said that he should actually pay again to put the complete and utter shoddy work right. The chap you got round last xmas to put up your lights, is he still there??
Do perfectionist send their food back every time they visit a restaraunt?
The guys paid for a future investment on his house and you are suggesting that he pays to have it re-plastered to fill in the gaps that a bus could drive past. ??
That so called finish and hand over would be labelled as a rouge trader in my neck of the woods.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I’d want a gypsum plaster finish myself too. It’s the best wall finish that you can get in terms of appearance and durability. Best in the world- British Gypsum rock.

Edit: rock as in the actual rock that the plaster is made from, not that the company ‘rocks’ :D

Last edited:

Dony

Distinguished Member
I’d want a gypsum plaster finish myself too. It’s the best wall finish that you can get in terms of appearance and durability. Best in the world- British Gypsum rock.

Edit: rock as in the actual rock that the plaster is made from, not that the company ‘rocks’ :D
What makes it better than any other gypsum? Or are you just being patriotic?

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
The plaster finish is arguably the best in the world, the actual plaster itself in one of the most advanced plants in the world and the biggest plant in europe, the technique of applying and finishing is also world leading.

I’m not suggesting that I’ve visited every country to examine their plaster finishes but British is one of the best in the world I have seen.

Not me being patriotic in the slightest :D

Dony

Distinguished Member
The plaster finish is arguably the best in the world, the actual plaster itself in one of the most advanced plants in the world and the biggest plant in europe, the technique of applying and finishing is also world leading.

I’m not suggesting that I’ve visited every country to examine their plaster finishes but British is one of the best in the world I have seen.

Not me being patriotic in the slightest :D
It's not often my area of expertise comes up in these forums so I was curious as to why you think that. I've been in their plant, and also Irish Gypsum. I also deal directly with their French parent company and have supplied various equipment to both for extracting the raw material.

Armitage Shanks make the best sanitary ware in the world.:smashin:

Last edited: