Get philips or LG C7 oled or wait?

Mr. C

Standard Member
A bit nervous buying a new 55", but really love the demos I see from oleds. Usually walk in to stores with mind set to LCD (to avoid burn-in) and they look very good, but after a short stroll over to the OLED side the LCDs look a bit washed out in the colours. Is this because they emphasise different things? Strong light with LCD and blacks with oled? And with a 9-year old in the house streaming youtube from appleTV for hours, should I be worried getting burn-in? I'm also a bit worried that when compared side to side, yes one is better, but in real Life at home you would not really know the difference. As with audio, no problems telling which speaker sounds the best when compared side by side, but at home, both are really competent and sounds great.
Last question, I read that the philips oled is a bit slow using android, is this something that gets a bit annoying? It is that one or a LG C7, but the LG is about €100 more. THe philips goes for 1300 and the C7 1400. Or a €7-800 LCD instead.

fat jez

Distinguished Member
Firstly, you are not going to get a true comparison in the stores like Currys, John Lewis, etc. The TVs are all in store mode, which cranks the settings right up.

A constant stream of Youtube is not going to cause burn in. However, I suspect that like most children, yours will get bored and wander off from time to time, leaving the UI on the screen until the ATV goes to sleep. This would be of more concern to me over time.

Is there a separate playroom type place where you could install a smaller and cheaper smart TV for your child to watch Youtube without issues, leaving you to enjoy an OLED set in your main viewing area?

Mr. C

Standard Member
Yes, I know they are in "demo mode", so I was thinking that perhaps the LCDs are not that bad, they are only set to show what is their strength. At home the Picture would be really really good. Likewise, the oled in demomode shows their strength, which apeals more to me but again, set them both to normal, would they be almost equal? Are the lcd really that sensitive to viewing-angle? black resolution really not good? Side by side yes, but once home, would you really Think "this is wrong, details disapear, colours are really washed out by the backlight shining through"
Also, a salesperson told me the lcd is to be chosen if looking at sports because fast movement is handled better in an lcd comared to the oled. Surely that is all wrong, right?

fat jez

Distinguished Member
I don’t agree with his comment on sports. Viewing angles on OLEDs will be superior, as will the depth of black. You also should not have noticeable uniformity issues on OLED, unlike LEDs, where it can be a struggle to find one without. If you’re considering LED, I’d look for one that offers Full Array Local Dimming and ignore the edge lit models.

jslater

If you can wait for price reductions I'd go for the LG C8. I was quite surprised how much better was the C8 is compared to my C7 (not that it's any way a bad tv at all!). The WebOS really is very good too. It really is quite a remarkable picture.

Mr. C

Standard Member
Perhaps it's a good idea to wait then, guess the C8 is quicker using faster CPUs doing the work. Guess the price on the new C8's starts droping around black friday and then might be reasonable around new year?
For sound: Noticed they have optical out, not coax? Can you set it to only output stereo?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom