1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get out of my barn

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by paiger, Jan 5, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am moving to a barn conversion in the near future that I am converting myself. The kitchen/diner/lounge is a single storey building about 10m long by 4m wide and has an open 'cathedral' type ceiling. The walls will be left in stone, just re-pointed and maybe painted white. The floor is likely to be done in York flagstones.

The TV (30" LCD) will be on the end wall with AV gear below and main speakers either side, pointing up the room.

How will this affect the sound? Currently I live in a house with suspended wooden floors and get a lot of problems with booming bass which I hope to avoid in the new place. I wonder though whether all the stone may cause sound to bounce around a lot at higher volumes. I don't want carpet as we have two labradors and also, my wife is asthmatic. The only fabric is likely to be two large sofas.

As a cinema set-up it will be awesome and I intend to include a roll up screen and PJ up in the beams later but how about sound? Music is my first love and I want this right. Should I consider moving my Floorstanders upstairs where I will be setting up a stereo system in my office and getting two more bookshelves for the mains?

Opinions/ experiences please.

Steve

2. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    We recently moved to an apartment which has wooden floors. We previously lived in a house with carpeted floors.

The wooden flooring has quite made quite a negative impact on the sound. Whereas before the bass was quite deep, now it's hardly there and the system sounds much brighter and quite harsh.

I would've thought that stone walls and floors would have a similar effect but much more pronounced (ie a sonic nightmare).

3. neoxp

neoxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Real wooden floors are not so bad but laminate is a nightmare. Generally all hard surfaces like laminate, stone and glass will bounce the high end stuff (treble) around. Imagine walking into an empty room and clapping, it'll 'bounce' round. Not too sure what happens to the bass but Paul is probably right.

The sofas should go some way to helping as will thick curtains You might want to think about some rugs (I've even seen people put them on walls!).

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yeah tapastrys work well they have a nice long one in france.

5. neoxp

neoxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!!! That one might be a bit expensive......

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rugs on walls are good - see this £60 in the Ikea sale last year. This room has laminate floor, but thick curtains, a couple of sofas, some floor cushions and that rug on the wall make a big difference.