Get me fit in 2 weeks...

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
OK I'm kidding, sort of... Get me fitter would be more apt.

I've just discovered that I have a training session (brazilian jiu-jitsu) in 2 weeks and I might be in line for a grading. I've had a rough summer in terms of being on holiday, being sick etc and my fitness is horrible at the minute. If I do get put forward for the grading then I'll be expected to roll (live grappling) for a full hour.

So basically, can you smart guys/gals recommend me a training program to increase my cardio as much as possible in a short time?

I have a treadmill, spin bike and weights bench at home. I'll also be getting into the club as much as possible in the next few weeks to rack up time on the mats.

My weight is also out of whack. I've put on about half a stone in the last month but I've been eating terribly. I know from experience that I'll be able to lose that half a stone in the next 2 weeks again but my main issue regarding the training session is my poor cardio.

PS I know this is my own fault and I know it's a fairly unreasonable thing to expect much improvement in such a short time but it is what it is and I'm up the creek without a paddle so I'll take any advice I can get!

nothing major is going to improve in 2 weeks.

Simple sessions like 30 seconds on max effort/30 seconds off for 20 mins on the bike will help but nothing that's going to show any major uplift in fitness/weight loss in such a short space of time.

Eat clean (no sugar/alcohol etc) for next 2 weeks.

Quickest way I've found to lose weight and get yourself into decent physical condition is to combine both cardio and weight into your exercise regimes..

Check out the P90X3 CVX 30 minute cardio/weight workout for example. Can get a lot of calories burnt while at the same time strengthening those core muscles you will need for MMA. P90X3 also does an MMX cardio workout based on MMA'esq moves.

The 'Insanity' workout is another one that's intense and uses your own bodyweight to get quick results if you're limited by time. We're talking burpees, jumping squats etc etc, without little rest in between each activity.. Can be torturous, but you gotta do the work to get the results, so be warned.

Mate if you are trying to get fit to roll for an hour then most of your training should be getting in the mats and rolling with people, FOR HOURS!
On my first 1st Dan I knew that I had to fight 2 people for 3 minutes each. I trained to fight 4 people for 5 minutes each so on the day I didn't get gassed. In fact I was asked to fight a third guy as it was his 3rd Dan grading and there was no one else who was up to it (I took it easy on him too - didn't want to embarrass him on his heading!).
Nothing else will give you what you need for an hour's rolling like training to do an hour's rolling.
For my cardio I supplement with swimming (possibly the greatest all round muscular, endurance, cardio, VO2, fitness exercise ever) and skipping rope. Push yourself with the swimming, then push yourself harder. It's not about faster but push till you are knackered then imagine how embarrassed you'll be on the day of your grading if you run out of stamina and push to keep swimming until the lifeguard starts looking scared..
And jump rope, 1 min on and 1 min off at least twice a day for at least 10 rounds then gradually decrease the rest period by 10s each time.
And best of luck with the grading, let us know how you get on!

@shodan I had a taster last night, rolled straight for 15 minutes. Hellish, but I survived and was able to stand up afterwards so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll survive the hour.

I have seen times where people get their belt without having the "ironman" but it's rare, usually only if the seminar runs over time I suspect! To be honest I'd actually prefer to go through it, I want to feel like I really earned it.

It's a mental thing too. Nobody is expecting me to demonstrate perfect technique or submit half of the opponents, that aspect has been evaluated already by my own coach. This is a mental test to see if you can endure physical exhaustion beyond normal breaking point and not quit.

I'll be spending every spare minute in the gym between now and then and see how it goes.

Thanks to @booyaka and @IL Cattivo too.

I'll try to get to swimming twice a week and hit the cycle 3 times. Will do weights on the same days as the cycling.

Plus walk the stairs at work twice a day (I work on the 1st floor of 10).

Unfortunately any cardio effects take nearly 3 weeks to actually take affect, whilst cardio can't be gained in 2 weeks im not sure the same couldn't be said for conditioning, the body is always capable of alot more that we think.

It was Arnold Schwarzenegger who said the mind gives in long before the body ever does,of course he was referring to lifting weights and as far as he was concerned the body was done when you couldn't even lift your arms in a upper body workout,anyways you get the idea.

Good luck.:smashin:

@shodan I had a taster last night, rolled straight for 15 minutes. Hellish, but I survived and was able to stand up afterwards so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll survive the hour.

I have seen times where people get their belt without having the "ironman" but it's rare, usually only if the seminar runs over time I suspect! To be honest I'd actually prefer to go through it, I want to feel like I really earned it.

It's a mental thing too. Nobody is expecting me to demonstrate perfect technique or submit half of the opponents, that aspect has been evaluated already by my own coach. This is a mental test to see if you can endure physical exhaustion beyond normal breaking point and not quit.

I'll be spending every spare minute in the gym between now and then and see how it goes.

I'll try to get to swimming twice a week and hit the cycle 3 times. Will do weights on the same days as the cycling.

Just be careful not to over do it, the last thing you want to do to be exhausted on the day.
For most endurance events or things of that nature it best to spend the last 2 week's just fine tuning the odds things but main thing is to remain injury free, and go a touch easier leading up to the event to have maximum energy on the day.

I was thinking I'll ease back for the last few days. Gym on Thursday night and then the seminar is Saturday. I'll take it easy on Thursday and relax on Friday.

One of the biggest dangers would be in not breathing adequately during the grading and the rolling. That way you would feel exhausted and feel like you're muscles are completely fatigued when actually you won't be anywhere near that level of exhaustion. Remember to take every opportunity, especially during rolling, to get in some real deep belly breaths to help get rid of the carbon dioxide and lactic acid out of the muscles. And when your think you are exhausted and can't do anymore, imagine someone has put a gun to your head, or a loved one, and told you they will shoot if your don't dig deeper and get it done...

Well I'm now 10lbs lighter and feeling better for it.

I may not be that much fitter, but I have been working a lot on my breathing. Even when I'm rolling with a higher grade and getting my ass kicked I'm making a conscious effort to breathe properly and I'm noticing a difference.

We'll see what Saturday brings...

Well I'm now 10lbs lighter and feeling better for it.

I may not be that much fitter, but I have been working a lot on my breathing. Even when I'm rolling with a higher grade and getting my ass kicked I'm making a conscious effort to breathe properly and I'm noticing a difference.

We'll see what Saturday brings...

That's an impressive amount to loose in such a short period of time, nearly lb a day :clap:

Good stuff mate, don't forget to keep getting plenty of water, especially in this heat!

Any last minute dietary tips?

I don't want to be going in weak as water from dieting too hard. Nor loaded with something that's going to bloat me or tire me.

I was going to have a normal dinner tonight, steak, chicken, potatoes and veg.

Then maybe just a protein bar in the morning, session is at 11am.

I wouldn't change anything, eat what you would normally before a tough work out, experimenting with new foods drinks etc at the last minute a bad idea, if your body rejects what you eat, by that I mean the poos or stomach cramps etc Your gonna end up in right pickle. It's always advised to experiment with foods weeks before an event to see how you react, so there's no surprises on competition day.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I wouldn't change anything, eat what you would normally before a tough work out,
I've never given any thought to it before though...

I just know that once when I ate a burrito 2 hours before a BJJ class I nearly barfed. Lol

Jokin aside, this session is not something I've experienced before.

Last edited:
This is what I would do but this is me you understand.
You can't and would not carb load for a 1 hour tough session, so good carbs meal the night before 5-6 ish then a good but light carb food about 8-9 ish then a good but light carb breakfast 2-3 hours before the event, I would eat something like 2 bagels for breakfast, something light but gets about 80gr of carbs in.

Plenty Of fluids but no more than one cup 2 hours before the event to prevent toilet brake.

Thanks

I have a 4 hour journey before the event but we'll be stopping at a motorway services on the way down so I'll see about getting a bagel at that point, about 90 minutes before the seminar.

I would only eat one at that point, anymore might be slightly too heavy on but. Fluids wise keep some close, dry mouse can easily occur close to events, and lightly sipping on water can also help calm the nerves.

So a few weetabix around half 6 before I leave home, then a bagel around half 9 would be reasonable?

Seminar starts at 11. Vigorous warm up, some technique and drilling, then hell unleashed around 12 or half 12.

Yeah that's sounds about right just make sure you don't get carried away and over eat.:thumbsup:

Thanks all.

Didn't get an iron man in the end, instead it was a 40 minute stretch of 3 minutes on, 3 minutes off. The gym was packed though with no air at all so it was tough going.

Worth it in the end!
20180811_135655.jpg

@DrPhil so how did it go? Did you grade? Tell us all about it..

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom