Question Get footage from camcorder

daftpunk1

found the old camcorder this week plus a collection of tapes. Was able to connect it to the one tv in the house that had a s video input.

But would be great to get these onto DVD or a video file of some sort.

What's the best way to go about this?

Terfyn

Is it too old to have IEEE1394 FireWire connector? This would be the best way.

BUT Alternatives. As it has S-Video, a DVD recorder would do the conversion to digital and record the camera output. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES15EB which will do exactly that.

Another is the Analogue to USB converter, for example the EZCAP.TV 116 EzCAPTURE USB 2.0 Video Capture Device at £21.95 (but beware imitations) It will capture both A/V and S-video. If it works for you, you will be able to record directly on to file in your PC.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Working, yes sorry.... +Your working S-video ( circular connector with weak pins) - some DVD recorders will accept this - BUT the market for these is shrinking as folks use TV-catch-up and on-line services.... Few PCs will accept S-video, so you may have to use other connectors . . . however a stand-alone DVD-Recorder would be the easiest route...perform basic EDITS and burn to DVD . . . this can be imported to a PC and almost any Video-Editor will tidy things up. Usually the cheaper they are - the more difficult to use.

In their day we thought all tapes were wonderful, but nowadays even DVD can be surpassed easily. By using DVD you shouldn't lose anything quality-wise and once in the PC with a good Editor you can fix exposure/contrast/colour balance etc. - and add some music to replace any bad audio.
The important thing is to get any analogue tapes digitised ASAP.

rogs

That Elgato system looks to be very expensive for what it is.... THIS DEVICE should do the same thing for a lot less money - here in the UK anyway

andjarnic

Thing is I have tried several cheaper solutions and they all had issues on mac and windows. Elgato is a big name and gaming recording and for me the piece of mind is worth the extra cost. there is also black magic designs but they are more ezpensive

Terfyn

On another post we recommended that OP use a professional transfer service. This again may be the best way and more cost effective than messing with USB devices.
The Elagato system looks very like the EZCap. Perhaps a matter of "badge engineering".

rogs

The Elagato devices use either Empia 28xx or Conexant CX231xx series of chips to power their devices. EZcap uses Empia 28xx . Both chip sets - and thus the related devices - have similar specs....

The software supplied with these units can vary in ease of use and quality, and usually involves real time encoding to a compressed format like Mpg2 or H.264.

In either case you're probably better off using alternative (free) software and capturing to a less processing intensive intraframe format, and modifying the results with editing software.

Blackmagic make fine quality devices, but are not usually well regarded in their ability to capture older SD formats very well.

DaVinci Resolve is top quality free editing software, but needs a beast of a computer to work well - and does have quite a steep 'learning curve' at the start.

Everyone has their own favourites of course, and we do all tend to think - naturally enough - that our own choices are the best :)

What is perhaps unusual is that - unlike most things in this life - some of the very best video editing software is actually free!

andjarnic

Resolve used to require a beastly machine.. but todays sub $1000 desktops with the latest version (though still in beta so has some issues) is not nearly as demanding.

I usually lean towards best bang for the buck.. with the added footnote that I will spend more for quality stuff most of the time... but I do opt for the junk from China sometimes despite my wanting to support manufacturing/jobs here in America.. so I guess I am a hypocrite! :D

As for Elgato device.. interesting on the chipsets. I am not surprised that others use the same one. I tend to think however that individual companies provide their own driver software.. or maybe they re-purpose the default driver software with their own additions. Whatever it is, I have tried 4 or 5 cheap alternatives and none worked well, mostly with dropped frames. My nephew had a good Elgato internal card, so I gave it a try based on that and was pleasantly surprised it worked so well. That was on Windows 10. For sure it may or may not work for individuals based on so many factors.

Ya agreed on the Black Magic thing. I was (still am) a big fan of theirs. Just bought a small HDMI to Thunderbolt device from them yesterday, supposedly good at capturing video from cameras into computers with Thunderbolt.. namely Mac in this case. Hoping it works as the reviews are mostly positive.

I agree that unless you plan on using this device many times or offer to help others in a similar situation, the best course is let a pro convert it for you one time and back it up and be done with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom