Get Carter 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

TheBookWasBetter

Standard Member
Good review Simon.

This was a film I had to grow up to appreciate. I first wastched it when I was in my teens working as an apprentice car mechanic and the blokes would quote "I know you didn't do it! I know!" along with other lines. I knew of the film but not the quotes so I asked if I could borrow a copy (V.H.S.). I wasn't very impressed at the time, It looked nothing special and I'd seen much more violence in other films and Carter didn't scare me like Gary Oldmans "Bex" did in The Firm. He just seemed unpleasent and I had a hard time caring about him and his mission.

As I've gotten older though, I've grown to really like this movie and the 4K was a Pre-Order. Caine has a reserve to Carter, like a coiled spring, a real menace behind the eyes. And as to me not caring about him on my first viewing, I guess that you're not really ment to as such. Carter wouldn't care if you wanted him to succeed, just get out of his way.

Really looking forward to watching this again. I've almost forgotten what Eric's eyes looked like.

Stonedofmoo

I've not seen this new 4k release, but it really is a superb movie and timeless.

Does anyone remember the sylvester stallone remake? Jesus wept 😂😂

dion 6

Thanks Simon great review I love this movie and growing up in Tyneside in the 70's and knowing all the locations it's great to see them again, as they've all gone now. Including the famous Get Carter multistorey car park which ironically is a Vue cinema

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Was on the fence with this (no real memory of the film) but I think i’m going to have to pick this up at some stage. Looks nice set. Decent quality case too.

Davyb100

Was on the fence with this (no real memory of the film) but I think i’m going to have to pick this up at some stage. Looks nice set. Decent quality case too.
Likewise, it’s years from I’ve watched it I and don’t remember much about it except that it was just ok but based on this review I’ve just spend another £25. Thanks Simon, hope I enjoy my next viewing as much as you did.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
My experience of watching the 4K release of the film yesterday doesn’t match the reviewer’s findings. I suppose some of it is down to equipment differences. My comments can be found in this thread Get Carter (1971) Limited Edition 4K UHD — see comment #63.

Perhaps I was expecting too much. I really like this film and was hopeful that the 4K release would really pop, but for my wife and I, it didn’t. I didn’t purchase it for the extras, just the chance to see a cleaned-up version of the film. My wife even suggested returning it to Amazon, given that it didn’t appear to offer much, in terms of quality, over the order HD BR disc that we have in our collection.

I’d be interested in hearing the comments of others about their viewing experience.

Bill

Loved the review, never seen it.. ordered!!

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Oh , not the Stallone version then ...
get-me-coat.gif

malcolmk

My experience of watching the 4K release of the film yesterday doesn’t match the reviewer’s findings. I suppose some of it is down to equipment differences. My comments can be found in this thread Get Carter (1971) Limited Edition 4K UHD — see comment #63.

Perhaps I was expecting too much. I really like this film and was hopeful that the 4K release would really pop, but for my wife and I, it didn’t. I didn’t purchase it for the extras, just the chance to see a cleaned-up version of the film. My wife even suggested returning it to Amazon, given that it didn’t appear to offer much, in terms of quality, over the order HD BR disc that we have in our collection.

I’d be interested in hearing the comments of others about their viewing experience.
Much the same opinion as you. I will be generous and accept that the video may be as good as it can be but the audio is best described as poor. Listening via nearly £20k of Pro audio gear - ok, not all of it, it's only mono - the audio is shrill and the levels all over the place. I ran it at reference level which is a first for me and still some parts were hard to hear while other bits almost painful. Not necessarily because it was too loud but because of the tonality. Doubt I will ever go back to it.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
It's an excellent film, Caine's best I think, along with the Ipcress File and Alfie. Not a fan of his later work.

Sleuth is deeply underrated and impossible to find now for some inexplicable reason (whereas you can get the godawful remake on every damn format)

Also his other Palmer flicks were good, Funeral in Berlin arguably as good as Ipcress, and Billion Dollar Brain wacky fun.

And you’ve got The Man Who Would Be King and The Eagle Has Landed.

His later work was seldom anywhere near as good but I rate The Quiet American, Cider House Rules, Children of Men, solid work in the Nolan movies, not a bad revenger in Harry Brown, and more deeply underrated work in Shiner, another film that’s hard to find.

Carter is absolutely magnificent, but once I’m done with that, out of all of them, I’d rewatch Sleuth and Shiner in a heartbeat.

Garrett

It's an excellent film, Caine's best I think, along with the Ipcress File and Alfie. Not a fan of his later work.
I agree Carter is his best well our favorite but he always good in anything I remember watching Surrender which bombed but enjoyed, and it being on at mums house and she howled with laughter at what happened when he was tied up to Sally Field. He's been in a few turkeys but generally its not down to him.
Even on his first main role which was in Zulu he stood out a mile.

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Great news. I saw this when I was probably too young and it had a massive effect on me. When I moved to Newcastle a number of years later I took it upon myself to search out some of the locations which still existed. Not to mention the soundtrack from Roy Budd is a total killer as usual.

Dan

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
"I hit him and he died". Fearsome chilling performance.

muljao

This is a super movie. Didn't realize it's older than me

Garrett

I remember it. Unfortunately 😆
You think that was bad. I use to like a bit of Blaxploitation, 3 Shaft films, Trouble Man, Cleopatra Jones, Super Fly but thank goodness this one I did not see at the cinema.

shinywizard

You think that was bad. I use to like a bit of Blaxploitation, 3 Shaft films, Trouble Man, Cleopatra Jones, Super Fly but thank goodness this one I did not see at the cinema.

Oh man, they talk about this on the new commentary track. It looks… strangely familiar, but also totally alien 😂

Garrett

Oh man, they talk about this on the new commentary track. It looks… strangely familiar, but also totally alien 😂
The woman in the black dress the lion jumps on(forget how it ended up in the USA) was in her own Blaxploitation film Foxy Brown and Coffy but better know as Jackie brown.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
The woman in the black dress the lion jumps on(forget how it ended up in the USA) was in her own Blaxploitation film Foxy Brown and Coffy but better know as Jackie brown.
Pam Grier + Blaxploitation = Win!

Case Closed

I once heard Peter Kay refer to himself as a young Alf Roberts (Bryan Mosley) and I certainly see the resemblance...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 12

Garrett

I once heard Peter Kay refer to himself as a young Alf Roberts (Bryan Mosley) and I certainly see the resemblance...
Funny before I saw the picture I though he best not meet Michael Caine atop of a car park.
The one in the picture/film been demolished.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow