Get better stereo sound from Denon AVR X 4500H using a Quad stereo power amp?

Wulbert

Established Member
Reaction score
I would have thought this would be a common set up scenario, but I can't find the info I need. I want to use a stereo power amp ( in this case a Quad 306 power amp) connected to my Denon's pre-out section in order to get decent stereo music playback and also better front L & R playback quality for films.

What I would like is to be able to power the front L and R channels and speakers using the Quad power amp. What is confusing me is how to set the volume levels so that movie sound being sent to the Front L & R speakers is consistent with all the other channels.

The Quad has no volume control and is just a power amp. It is on or off. Do I just hook up the Quad, run Audessey and let the Denon AVR figure out the relative sensitivity/volume for the speakers going through the Quad power amp? When I play music how does the Denon "know" how much power to give the Quad? ( The Quad 306 is a particularly sensitive power amp)

Sorry I'm not expressing myself well. This is because the subject confuses me.

Simply connect pre out left and right from denon into the quad power amp. Run avr level calibration.

The Denon will control the signal level to the power amp. What you're planning is no different to the internals of a avr, it's just splitting in two the pre and power stages of the avr into two boxes.

You'll get improvement in power however you're still limited to the Denon dac, analogue section and pre amp, compared to a high quality dedicated dac, stereo analogue pre amp

Simply connect pre out left and right from denon into the quad power amp. Run avr level calibration.

The Denon will control the signal level to the power amp. What you're planning is no different to the internals of a avr, it's just splitting in two the pre and power stages of the avr into two boxes.

You'll get improvement in power however you're still limited to the Denon dac, analogue section and pre amp, compared to a high quality dedicated dac, stereo analogue pre amp
Thanks. Sounds simple enough.

The rest of the stereo kit ( DAC, Pre Amp etc) will follow in due course as funds allow)

After connecting the Quad, it is best to rerun Audyssey to recalibrate the Denon to the Quad's gain, rather than just tweaking the level calibration.

The rest of the stereo kit ( DAC, Pre Amp etc) will follow in due course as funds allow)
Because the Quad 306 only has a single input, you will either need a preamplifier with a home theatre mode input or a line level source selector switch to enable the power amplifier to be connected to both the Denon AVR and the stereo preamplifier.

After connecting the Quad, it is best to rerun Audyssey to recalibrate the Denon to the Quad's gain, rather than just tweaking the level calibration.

Because the Quad 306 only has a single input, you will either need a preamplifier with a home theatre mode input or a line level source selector switch to enable the power amplifier to be connected to both the Denon AVR and the stereo preamplifier.
OK. Showing my ignorance here. Why would I need to connect a separate pre-amplifier as well? I though the AVR would be acting as the pre amp in this scenario? What functionality does a separate pre-amp amp with HT bypass bestow?

Do you mean I would need the HT equiped pre amp if I wanted to connect the Quad to both hi-fi separates (DAC etc) AND the AVR at the same time?

You'd have a stereo pre amp with HT bypass plus a stereo power amp or power amps or stereo integrated amplifier depending if you plan to remove the Denon entirely.

Ie I had

AV pre amp
Stereo dac
Stereo analogue pre amplifier
Two stereo power amplifiers
Four stereo power amplifiers

For a combined biamped stereo hifi and combined biamped AV 7.2 system

Oy just splits further than a AVR, so in stereo mode the avr is off and the stereo pre amp/Poweramp or stereo integrated amp is on, all stereo sources connected to the stereo

OK. Showing my ignorance here. Why would I need to connect a separate pre-amplifier as well? I though the AVR would be acting as the pre amp in this scenario? What functionality does a separate pre-amp amp with HT bypass bestow?

Do you mean I would need the HT equiped pre amp if I wanted to connect the Quad to both hi-fi separates (DAC etc) AND the AVR at the same time?
To connect both a stereo pre-amp, as you indicated you were planning for the future, and an AVR to the same power amplifier, where that power amplifier has no source selection switch, you either need an external source switch, or the ability to route the AVR's FL&FR through the stereo preamplifier, The latter option requires a home theatre mode input on that preamplifier - essentially turning the preamplifier into a switch for the AVR input.

in order to get decent stereo music playback’ - bypassing the Denon Pre-amp, DAC, Processing is as important, possibly more important, if you want to improve the music playback performance of your system.

With a dedicated stereo Pre-amp/DAC in the system you would connect your music sources direct to the Stereo Pre-amp and your AV sources would stay connected to the AVR.

As others have said you would also connect the AVR Front LR Line Out to the HT bypass Input on the Stereo Pre-amp, that allows you to share the Front LR speakers between the Stereo and AV playback systems.

Joe

Hi
I want to have better stereo from Denon 4500 with Kef R300 speakers.
I am thinking of buying used hifi amp to use with HT bypass.
Budget around 400 to 500 pounds.
Any suggestions please
Audiolab 6000a I tried with no improvement from Arcam solo music I have.
Audiolab 8300 ,is it going to be better?
Is Arcam A32 has HT bypass?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom