Get a PS8000 or wait for 2010 models?

pogologo

Novice Member
Just wondering what people think. Have had a G10 and had numerous problems, so, please dont suggest it.

Have been considering a PS8000 for quite a while now but am worried that 2010 models will be out soon (from any manufacturer) and either the price will drop on the PS8000 and other models or there will be shiny new TVs with great new features for the same price out in a couple of weeks time that will leave me very dissapointed - or worse, both.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks

mark.cup

Novice Member
If it was me I would wait the new LG PK950 looks nice lets hope they have improved the black levels could be a winner:thumbsup:

.stu

If it was me I would wait the new LG PK950 looks nice lets hope they have improved the black levels could be a winner:thumbsup:
"Could be a winner?" sounds like a bit of a gamble if you ask me - it may turn out to be a turkey.

Also you don't know what the pricing will be, when it will be released in the uk, and more importantly when it will be available to buy at a reasonable price. Has it even been officially announced yet in the UK?

Personally, I think you will be waiting for a good few months yet - if you are happy to do so then fine, otherwise I would go for the PS8000.

scatterbug

Personally, I would wait for the 2010 Panasonic's. However, if your G10's woes have put you off, get the LG now.

mark.cup

Novice Member
From the forum review seems like the PS8000 was a great screen black levels were the main downfall..

The new model talks about a new black filter,improved processing,looks better,is lighter & slimmer as well

Also its part of the new higher end Infinia range

If im honest I still think of them like a budget brand much like Skoda in the car world! yes Ive driven a few they are very good cars but cant get the old image removed from the brain:facepalm:

The other reason I like the LG is its not going to be 3D Im not interested in sitting in my lounge wearing 3D glasses:suicide: I know many are?

Will probably come in at a good price with a very good spec

.stu

I had a look over at LGBlog and it seems the new range is due in April, so expect to see them in the shops in May perhaps? Also, I would expect them to be at a premium initially, so it probably won't be until August before the price drops to a more realistic level.

C227

Standard Member
Manufacturers are always banging on about how they are improving this and that. I have little trust in them to be honest.

mark.cup

Novice Member
LG seem to be moving in the right direction plus Phil on his ces coverage said they were blown away by their stand!

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Ok,

New Panasonic line will probably start hitting shelves from end of March time at a guess, but we will not know for sure until their launch event in February. We also don't know the exact details on screen sizes and models, but its only a few weeks until we find out. Plus, as always we will push for early review samples.

The same for LG. The LG PK950 Plasma will be their top of the range screen. It looked good on the bright show floor and will also have the new THX bright room preset IIRC. But as always I would suggest waiting for the review and again, we will be pushing for early samples.

If you can wait, then my advice is to sit tight and see what we are going to get and obviously the review measurements and tests. If you can't wait, then the PS8000 for the money is a nice screen, if lacking in black level.

Tough choices and glad I don't have to make them, but we will be pushing hard for the forums to get the first reviews where we can.

NikoDM

Standard Member
Phil, any idea when you'll get the PK950 for a review? First price are up in Belgium and for 1200EUR for the 50", don't think i'd do a bad deal there... Normally I was going for a Panny, but the black level issue, which perhaps has been made more gradual in the 2010 yet not fixed, kind of put me of on the deal so I'm looking for some competitors :)

Read that some reviewers on CES said that it could comepete with the KURO level. Despite it probably being a bit overexaggerated I can imagine that it ought to mean that the black levels are good. That just leaves the question about all the rest of the specs of course ^^

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom