Answered Get a benq w1070 / epson tw5300 projector or a 55inches 4k TV.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hype_male, Sep 6, 2017.

1. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi. I know projector and TV serve different purpose but am I'm need of general advice as to if to get a 4k or 1080p projector. I suppose it comes down to size vs resolution. Now my question is would a TV 4k resolution be far superior over a 1080p projector or does the huge image a projector can produce out weigh the extra resolution that 4k offer.

In addition, is there enough 4k content now to justify splashing on 4k TV.

Also, out of benq w1070 and Epson tw5300, which is better in terms of picture quality.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by sirata, Sep 8, 2017 (1 points)
  3. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I would start by going and getting demo if you have never viewed one before in home environment, maybe that will help with your decision.

4. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Best Answer
    i cant speak re 4k, but in my shed cinema, I had a 60 inch Samsung plasma tv, and have replaced it with an Epson tw5300. now watching a film is an event (not just watching a tv). Couldn't be happier with the picture it gives. to me scale triumphs over smaller 4k quality. DSCF1117.JPG DSCF1130.JPG DSCF1131.JPG DSCF1139.JPG

5. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the pictures. Those pictures look very detailed. How is the 3d on the tw5300 and does it do 2 to 3d conversion.

6. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've only recently bought a projector and went through the same considerations. As Sirata has said, watching a movie on the big screen is a completely different experience to watching on a 'small' TV. We have a 77" screen which is around 4 times the area of our 42" TV - because of room positioning, we can't really have a TV much bigger than 55" (The TV is in front of a window).

I have the model up from the 5350 which does do 2d to 3d conversion, but I've not used it so can't comment on the quality. The native 3d is excellent - I've never been that interested in it, and I think seeing it in a big screen has (for me) made it a more immersive and worthwhile experience than on a TV. I'd expect the 5350 to be as good as it is a similar specification, but with extra features. You can download the manuals from the epson website to compare features.

7. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I have a 80 inch screen for TV, and a 100 inch 235.1 for movies, and like you a 42 inch TV.

But even at 80 as you say the difference is fantastic, I'm not sure I've read a post on here yet where someone hasn't been wowed by a pj image over a TV.

8. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What is the exact projector model you have.

9. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, would a projector work in a room that the walls are painted white?

What paint finish (silk, matt, soft sheen) is best for interior wall that a projector is going to be installed in?

10. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have an Epson TW6700. Been quite a bit of discussion on this model in the forum recently.

11. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,235
    If all the walls are painted white the projector won’t look very good unless you have it on a grey screen with black border. Otherwise it will just look washed out.

I used to have the benq w1070 and tried it on white and then grey screen. I took some photos for the forum but I can’t be arsed to look back through my history to find them now. There is a big difference though. If you’re in a white room then get or make a grey screen and that will improve things, but ideally you need a blacked out room and then get a white screen to really get the best out of a projector. Even on a cheap model this makes a huge difference to the picture compared to a white room.