Gerry Anderson's UFO (December 5th) - Limited Edition Box Set

I still have the two Carlton DVD boxsets and although they're not perfect, they still look fine to me if I want to rewatch the series. I just know that if I bought it I would regret it at that price. I'm pretty confident that it'll be released in other territories next year and that it will be much cheaper.

Yeah me too, I have to wait... with a mortgage and 2 kids there's no way I can shell out £200 for a tv series I already own (admittedly it won't be as good quality) but I'm hopefully it will get a release elsewhere substantially cheaper.

That trailer voiceover was hilarious! I couldn't help but think of that Brass Eye sketch 'Cannablis' when watching that :-D

Yeah me too, I have to wait... with a mortgage and 2 kids there's no way I can shell out £200 for a tv series I already own (admittedly it won't be as good quality) but I'm hopefully it will get a release elsewhere substantially cheaper.

You've got the 2 kids working already! Surely you can afford it.

:devil:;)

All the best
Bri

Thats a really nice box set but the price well its a little to steep for me to..

Little snippet of info from the digital bits:

"Finally, we've got a couple title updates for you. First, we've learned that Network doesn't currently have the U.K. release rights to Gerry Andersons' UFO and Thunderbirds so they can't release Blu-ray versions there. A&E does have the U.S. rights to both series and is considering releasing them on BD. However it's very early in the process so there's nothing concrete to report yet."

Would love this because it was part of my childhood tv along with Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet , Joe 90 ,Space 1999 etc but can't fork out this price for these .

Just found out the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series is also being released on BD in Japan in December, very tempted to put in a single order for UFO, Thunderbirds and Sherlock Holmes but would be over £600 lol

Just found out the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series is also being released on BD in Japan in December, very tempted to put in a single order for UFO, Thunderbirds and Sherlock Holmes but would be over £600 lol

I just bought that entire Sherlock Holmes on ITV DVD last year so, much as I love the series, I wouldn't buy it again on BD, not this soon and certainly not at £200. Wasn't the series filmed on video?

I just bought that entire Sherlock Holmes on ITV DVD last year so, much as I love the series, I wouldn't buy it again on BD, not this soon and certainly not at £200. Wasn't the series filmed on video?

No it was shot on film and ITV did a full remaster for the last DVD release, apparently its been shown in HD on ITV3 and looks very good so I am very tempted as its a fantastic series and the DVD set only cost £15 so not a huge loss but £200 is quite a lot but chances are it will never see a UK release so unless the US releases it Japan maybe the only option.

Why do you think the Sherlock Holmes series wouldn't get a UK release? It's always been a very popular series with the public and has a ready made fanbase in the form of the various Holmes societies and fan clubs.

The series has always been a DVD staple over the years with multiple releases in varying combinations and box sets. Much less successful stuff has been released on BD.

I think that given the fact that there are already HD masters in existence it would be a no-brainer to release this series on Blu.

No it was shot on film and ITV did a full remaster for the last DVD release, apparently its been shown in HD on ITV3 and looks very good so I am very tempted as its a fantastic series and the DVD set only cost £15 so not a huge loss but £200 is quite a lot but chances are it will never see a UK release so unless the US releases it Japan maybe the only option.

Ah yes, I think have seen one or two of the Sherlock Holmes ITV HD broadcasts on Sky HD (they were what made me order the DVD boxset in the first place) but I didn't think it looked that much better than the DVDs really. Of course, Sky HD broadcasts, with the exception of BBC and live sport, rarely look that great IMO due to the horrid compression and banding so the BDs may look much better.

Why do you think the Sherlock Holmes series wouldn't get a UK release? It's always been a very popular series with the public and has a ready made fanbase in the form of the various Holmes societies and fan clubs.

Simply because ITV stopped releasing catalogue titles on BD sometime ago due to poor sales, plenty of stuff has been released in other countries (ie Midsummer Murders/Poirot/Miss Marple) but no UK releases so if they have decided the market just isnt there in the UK there won't be a release regardless if they have HD masters ready to go.

Ah yes, I think have seen one or two of the Sherlock Holmes ITV HD broadcasts on Sky HD (they were what made me order the DVD boxset in the first place) but I didn't think it looked that much better than the DVDs really. Of course, Sky HD broadcasts, with the exception of BBC and live sport, rarely look that great IMO due to the horrid compression and banding so the BDs may look much better.

Perhaps those particular episodes were upscaled? as I have seen others reports saying they look fantastic in HD :confused:

Last edited:
my set turned up today no custom charge and only £13 delivery charge. very nice set. giving the discs a spin tomorrow

my set turned up today no custom charge and only £13 delivery charge. very nice set. giving the discs a spin tomorrow

Did DHL deliver yours? I got hit with a £46 all in charge on mine yesterday!

Well I have not long finished watching Episode 1 and to cut a long story short, after having enjoyed an great restoration of ZFE from Arrow, UFO from Geneon/ Universal is pretty much in the same vein - simply excellent.

PQ:
There is absolutely no DNR whatsoever to see on the screen - zero, nada, zilch. EE is completely non existent and there is a consistent grain field throughout which actually makes UFO look the most film like that I can ever recall frankly.
Clarity is amazing and on some sequences is almost 3D like. Colour is strong but does not seem as rich as the DVD which makes me wonder if the latter was colour boosted? I will compare them later.
One disadvantage of this leap in clarity is that the SFX for the time are showing their age. At least one scene clearly shows SKY 1 supported by 4 wires. At the beginning of the episode, some faint tramlines are noticeable during the sequence where the UFO attacks the limousine and its outriders.
Occasional and short lived small tram lines return in the same spot later.
Overall this PQ is really top notch though.

AQ:
I chose the only 5.1 track and that is in English - DTS-HD Master with Japanese subs which are removable. I have yet to listen to the stereo tracks but the 5.1 is very good. All channels are clear and SFX are nicely distributed across the side and surround speakers. LFE is present but is controlled and not overpowering. Dialogue is clear and concise and all in all my initial impression of this 5.1 track is a very good one.

This may not have been the cheapest set to buy but if Episode 1 is a yardstick then there is no price that I can put on the enjoyment factor that potentially awaits from the remaining episodes.

So how much did it set you back in total and where did you order from?

Did DHL deliver yours? I got hit with a £46 all in charge on mine yesterday!

got mine delivered to me in Bangkok cheaper shipping and no import tax. after reading your write up really looking forward to watching this set

Here are some pix taken from my iPhone as I do not have screen capture software. Any horizontal banding is from the camera phone not the image. Not great but it gives an idea at least:

ufom.jpg

ufo1w.jpg

ufo2g.jpg

ufo3c.jpg

ufo4p.jpg

ufo5.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom