• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gerry Adams Arrested

Sonic67

Banned

Cliff

Distinguished Member
The evidence has come from an unusual source- Boston. And it was promised that it would be confidential until the persons giving it passed away. So it looks like it is pretty hard evidence.

Mr Adams could say these statements were made by IRA colleagues who later became enemies, and it was made up.
Still, those charge of the IRA, must have been involved in this kind of thing. We shall see if Mr Adams was involved in this case.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Mr Adams could say these statements were made by IRA colleagues who later became enemies, and it was made up.
Still, those charge of the IRA, must have been involved in this kind of thing. We shall see if Mr Adams was involved in this case.

He ended up hated by a lot of hard core republicans for selling out. But they didn't hate him enough to testify while they were alive, because they didn't want to implicate themselves. Without physical evidence, I don't think anything will come of this. Its just the untestable statements of some incredibly bitter people who want revenge but they didn't want it that much (ie not enough to drag themselves down too).

I don't have any respect for GA, and I'm sure he was a pretty evil guy in his day. But I really don't think this will go anywhere.

Exemplar

Banned
My father was disciplined in his job for refusing to shake his hand..

Sonic67

Banned
Without physical evidence, I don't think anything will come of this. Its just the untestable statements of some incredibly bitter people who want revenge but they didn't want it that much (ie not enough to drag themselves down too).
Well Max Clifford has just been found guilty with no physical evidence.

Even if this doesn't get him Jean McConville's family are talking about bringing a civil action against him. Even the fact he stopped in one of Liz's B&B's made me open a rather special bottle.

SBT

Banned
Yes, should have been dealt with years ago.
This man has no interest in peace. Him and his lot are already responsible for hundreds of deaths.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
I'm sure the hundreds of innocent dead, both in Ireland and mainland UK, if the "war" kicks off again, would agree with you.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Victims of the IRA already agree with me.

Of course. And up to a point, so do I. But I personally wouldn't want to see him strung up if that was the cue for the mainstream IRA to start their campaign again. I will live with the bitter taste of seeing him and M McG free if it means no shooting, no bombing, no terror. HMG know this, the IRA know this, the protestant militia know this. Its a balancing act. But if you are prepared to see it all kick off again in exchange for seeing two people serving their due time, then we will have to differ in our opinions.

sidicks

Banned
Of course. And up to a point, so do I. But I personally wouldn't want to see him strung up if that was the cue for the mainstream IRA to start their campaign again. I will live with the bitter taste of seeing him and M McG free if it means no shooting, no bombing, no terror. HMG know this, the IRA know this, the protestant militia know this. Its a balancing act. But if you are prepared to see it all kick off again in exchange for seeing two people serving their due time, then we will have to differ in our opinions.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you john.
:smashin:

SBT

Banned
He's holding us to ransom. He's not interested in peace, just a let off for himself and his fellow terrorists.
We cant tip toe around him because of something that might happen in the future.
Hopefully he will finally get the punishment he deserves.

Sve

Banned

I would rather see the evil scrum and his sidekick banged up for life & troubles kick off again. We all know has was/is an evil scrum commander and should have been taken care of years ago. HE has the blood of many thousands on his hands and swans around like he owns the place.

Sonic67

Banned
Either this comes to court and if found guilty he gets his room and board or he gets let off over it and so do others. Those who were there at Bloody Sunday still might be charged. Drop any possibility of charges for them now and for the future.

Sve

Banned
Either this comes to court and if found guilty he gets his room and board or he gets let off over it and so do others. Those who were there at Bloody Sunday still might be charged. Drop any possibility of charges for them now and for the future.

You have got no chance. Scum face and his cohorts want the para's charged over Bloody Sunday and will not let it go.

dieeasysteve

I'd rather see the past completely forgotten and the country move on. Sadly I don't think we will get out of the shadows of the past for a fair few generations. We need a government that is not at war with itself and bigoted to ~half of the population.

Sonic67

Banned
Secrets From Belfast - Research - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Essentially if you don't want to read through the link:

Boston College decided to interview people involved to archive as part of a living history. Lots was said on the understanding it would be a record of the past. Information gathered was subpoenaed to the surprise of Boston College who didn't think it could happen. Testimonies presumably damn GA. GA gets arrested.

D

Deleted member 13294

I would hope that justice was blind to politics, although I accept that there does need to be some regard to this. But this should be dealt with directly through a pardon or other political process to drop the case - not through indirect pressure on the authorities not to act.

Just turning the question back to John. Why does he think the republicans would risk restarting the war and losing everything they have gained for just one man?

Sve

Banned
I would hope that justice was blind to politics, although I accept that there does need to be some regard to this. But this should be dealt with directly through a pardon or other political process to drop the case - not through indirect pressure on the authorities not to act.

Just turning the question back to John. Why does he think the republicans would risk restarting the war and losing everything they have gained for just one man?

Just one man? You really have no idea who scum face is.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member

I think there are enough people out there looking for an excuse to kick off the whole shooting match to make it very dangerous. If they have a reason that they can rally around and can use to justify their violence, then they will have a field day. As pointed out, the violence has never completely gone away, its still bubbling under. Arrest GA, however legitimate the case, and that could well be the spark that re-ignites the powder keg. He still has influence over the bastards and his influence is a major factor in maintaining what "peace" there is. Remove him from the equation and all hell will probably break loose.

Not palatable, I know. But do you really want to risk going back "to war" just to prove a point?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom