Gerrard is Staying

in all honesty the man has been a class player. could go one of 2 ways, have storming season rekindling some sort of previous form or not adjust to the premo cos he is so old. i seem to recall people writing off bergkamp for about 3 years and he is still playing some world class stuff. the quality never leaves you. the deal may not go through because real are now demanding £2 million when they previously said he could leave for nought if he found a club. they must see its us and cos they didnt get stevie they being spitefull

they have a bloody cheek considering they got owen for nothing really and should be reminded of that (not that it will do any good) then again we did get 7 mil and nunez :rolleyes: i hope we do get figo as he has 2 good seasons left in him and although he might not have the legs he is tremedously strong in his upper body and can hold people off all day.would be interesting to see how much his wage demand is though :eek: besides all that i think we do need an old head who can control and council players on the pitch and he does have vast experience at all levels.the only problem i see really is will he be bothered? hes a player in his twilight,coming into an good on somedays average on others and terrible beyond belief now and again team.its a long LONG way from real madrid.

i would certainly be more impressed at getting figo then getting zenden i know that.maybe its just the big name i dont know but i would love to see some of that old figo magic at anfield but like i said before its wether he can be bothered turning up more days than not only time will tell.

It appears that all Gerrard needed was a hug.

But seriously, this latest episode shows up the modern footballer for what they really are - money-grabbing mercenaries. Loyality is a word that 99% don't understand any more.

And the final insult, when Gerrard said, "I wouldn't like anyone to go through what I went through over the last 2 weeks". Come on Steven, get outside your bubble and take a look at the real world where people have real problems. Take the dead and injured in London, you idiot. If you think the choice between £80,000 and £100,000 per week is a major problem in life then you are in for a rude awakening some day.

have storming season rekindling some sort of previous form or not adjust to the premo cos he is so old. i seem to recall people writing off bergkamp for about 3 years and he is still playing some world class stuff.
I can't see it kopite. He's been off the boil now for a few years. The older players find it hard to adjust to the prem, and the latin players even more so.

As for Bergkamp, good player, but his best days are gone. Looks good against the lesser lights, but vanishes nowadays in the tougher games. It's nice to see him still turn it on, but, he can't do that very often anymore, and as such it's an admission we aren't going to be challenging Chelsea for the title in keeping him on. Figo is frankly, even less fit, and even less likely to do it than Bergkamp.

the only problem i see really is will he be bothered? hes a player in his twilight,coming into an good on somedays average on others and terrible beyond belief now and again team.its a long LONG way from real madrid.
Trouble is silver is you're 100% right! Like Hasslebank when he went to Boro, he's only after a cushy benchwarmer to tide him over until retirement. That's NOT the sort of guy you need if you really want to mount a challenge to Chelski.

But seriously, this latest episode shows up the modern footballer for what they really are - money-grabbing mercenaries. Loyality is a word that 99% don't understand any more.
Too true.

And the final insult, when Gerrard said, "I wouldn't like anyone to go through what I went through over the last 2 weeks". Come on Steven, get outside your bubble and take a look at the real world where people have real problems. Take the dead and injured in London, you idiot. If you think the choice between £80,000 and £100,000 per week is a major problem in life then you are in for a rude awakening some day.
And again agree 100%. It just shows how divorced footballers are from reality. Liverpool instead of offering him all he wanted (apparently Parry rang him at some God forsaken hour to plead with him), they should have said, to quote Lister, "spin on it". A few years of sitting on Reals bench would have woken him up......

im not sure whats more depressing the fact that a player in his twillight is better option than what we have or the fact that we seem to collect "squad" players like theres no tomorrow.its been a problem for me since roy evans went,we just love squad players and instead of going out and getting what we NEED we get what we CAN.

i would like to still see figo as im a glass is half full kind of person and we do so need some entertainment and flair in our starting 11.i was miffed at the 2 mill price tag but seeing as we spend more than that on squad players he might be worth a punt :) besides that by all accounts majorca are interested in nunez.

i never liked hasslebaink when he was at leeds as he showed his true colours back then.the man is and will always be a mercenary and will jump ship as soon as the bigger better deal comes along add to that he is a selfish player who when he doesnt receive the service he craves losses his rag yet he doesnt seem to bothered when he is greedy in his hogging of the ball.i still laugh about the BARCA saga and how quick he was to jump ship there from chelsea and now look at him :)

im not sure whats more depressing the fact that a player in his twillight is better option than what we have or the fact that we seem to collect "squad" players like theres no tomorrow
What's even more depressing silver, is that apart from Chelsea we all seem to be in the same boat! I mean Utd's signings (bar Rooney) have hardly been inspiring in recent years. As for us, so far one unknown quantity (although they tend to go well for Wenger) and sniffing around after our Brazilian friend, who's agent has already penciled him in for Real! Oooh! :rolleyes:

jimcarney said:
They wanted shot of him as they are in need of 30 -40 million for the new stadium & fu***d him about on his negotiations, but when he said he was off they did the old press spin number of "oh we wanted him to stay and tried our best" Now he's gone F8ck you then i'll stay and on an improved deal as they now cant go back on it. ammusing really

I'm sorry Jim 'Mr Sour Grapes' Everton supporter....not everyone thinks and acts like Wayne Rooney.......Gerrard knows where his heart is, he knows where his roots are and knows where he can make a real differance.
Lets see who finishes higher in the Prem this year shall we....and who goes furthest in Europe...I think most people can answer that now...Oh and by the way its NOT Everton.

Gerrard knows where his heart is, he knows where his roots are and knows where he can make a real differance.
Behave! :D He was off one minute, then not the next, then, hey presto, Liverpool beg him to stay (they admitted they were on to him practically all night) a new deal pops up, and ahhhhhh, he 'knows where his root are'. :rolleyes: Yeah, where they are paying him £100,000 a week! Blimey, even I could be loyal to Liverpool for that......... ;)

Sans Viera, this one will run and run.

I can see why Liverpool were prepared to grovel though, every Kid (sorry kids parent) around our way has been stiffed for a Gerrard shirt. They'd have lost a fortune in marketing. Which of course these days is what it's all about.......... :thumbsdow

overkill said:
Behave! :D He was off one minute, then not the next, then, hey presto, Liverpool beg him to stay (they admitted they were on to him practically all night) a new deal pops up, and ahhhhhh, he 'knows where his root are'. :rolleyes: Yeah, where they are paying him £100,000 a week! Blimey, even I could be loyal to Liverpool for that......... ;)
Actually he originally turned down the £100k a week (mad fool!!) so God only knows what made him stay :rolleyes:

Wasn't worried one way or the other to be honest - he's a fantastic player and when he's playing well he makes such a difference. However with the money we would've got for him would've been quite happy to see him go as long as it was spent wisely (not something you can guarantee!!)

Actually he originally turned down the £100k a week (mad fool!!) so God only knows what made him stay
Yes he did reject the contract in it's original form. However, Parry admitted 'changes were made'. A get-out clause perhaps?

However with the money we would've got for him would've been quite happy to see him go as long as it was spent wisely (not something you can guarantee!!)
Smelly, you're not wrong. A lot of Liverpool fans seem less than bowled over by Benetiz's spending spree. Still, with a little spin.......... :D

Same with Wenger. Buys the odd really good un, but gets through a lot of duds on the way! :rolleyes: Wonder what he'll buy with the money for Viera?

Any team would relish Gerrard in thier side...there isn't another English Midfielder better...(alright maybe Lampard)....so it stands to reason any Liverpool fan would love the fact he is staying and will be fighting for trophies with them this year....as lets face it they are one of only a small handful of sides capable of actually winning anything.
If he had gone to Chelsea...every Chelsea fan would rejoice as they would love the prospect of such a great player at thier club....but it isn't so!!!

Liverpool are not the complete article by a way yet, but they are heading in the right direction...with SG at the helm. Perfect!!!

Phil from 62 said:
Any team would relish Gerrard in thier side...there isn't another English Midfielder better...(alright maybe Lampard)....so it stands to reason any Liverpool fan would love the fact he is staying and will be fighting for trophies with them this year....
Agree - he's definitey the best midfielder in England.....when his minds straight. There was a long time after we lost the Carling Cup final to Chelsea that he just didn't seem to be there. Then he's simply good...not brilliant. Same with any player I suppose - they have to be mentally right as well as being fit and having the right skills. I would always want Gerrard in the side if he wanted to be there - otherwise its 30+ million waste of money.....

Hopefully after all this staying/going/staying saga he's got himself sorted and as you say will be fighting for all those trophies we're going to get next year :D

Hopefully after all this staying/going/staying saga he's got himself sorted and as you say will be fighting for all those trophies we're going to get next year
He'll be allright this year smelly. It's in the next few years the signs will creep in as this will he/won't he just goes on and on.

)....so it stands to reason any Liverpool fan would love the fact he is staying and will be fighting for trophies with them this year..
Why? I really lost interest in Viera years ago. Yes it was good to have him in the side, but 'love the fact'. Err, no............

It worries me that a quite clearly mercenary (and transparent) attempt to get a 'better deal' has left Liverpool fans still 'google eyed'. :rolleyes: Not because that's unique to Liverpool or the clubs fans, but because it still shows that people haven't woken up to what footballers are all about. Greed, greed, and er' greed. As such they deserve only our respect for bringing (if they do) honours to the club. But adoration? Nope. that should be consigned to the dustbin of history. As they did with things like; loyalty, respect for the fans, repect for their country, etc etc.

We need to get over this adoration thing and start treating the clubs like they do us. 'They're a business' they say. Fine, then we should act like consumers not fans. We can do this by not buying their merchandise, not buying into SKY; until they start serving up decent football, return the game to the fans (all fans not just the big 5), and cut the players obscene wages. Remember, either thru the turnstile, by subscribing to SKY, or buying their crappy merchandise, WE are paying those wages.

Is it going to happen? Not while we keep letting them get way with it isn't.......

overkill said:
He'll be allright this year smelly. It's in the next few years the signs will creep in as this will he/won't he just goes on and on.
Well he's started well tonight - loved the 2nd goal :D
overkill said:
Why? I really lost interest in Viera years ago. Yes it was good to have him in the side, but 'love the fact'. Err, no............
Good job really as the papers seem to have it down as fact that he's on his way to Juve....along with Pires :rolleyes:

Juve are hardly where you would want to go from Liverpool as a player are you?

If it was me in that situation, I would consider only Chelsea or Barcelona.

Games Guru said:
Juve are hardly where you would want to go from Liverpool as a player are you?
But as Viera only plays for Arsenal its a perfect move :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry Overkill couldn't resist :D

Agree - he's definitey the best midfielder in England.....when his minds straight

No more like when his passing is straight and not going out for a throw in again.lol :rotfl:

But as Viera only plays for Arsenal its a perfect move
*coughs* two championships in four years, three FA cups in four years, last time the pool won the championship 91' - 15 years ago. And it doesn't look like that runs going to end anytime soon! :D

God that was childish, but what the hell! :rotfl:

Well he's started well tonight - loved the 2nd goal
Against TNS! Oh WOW! :D

Good job really as the papers seem to have it down as fact that he's on his way to Juve....along with Pires
Can't complain. He's given us seven years good service. Should have gone last year really. Didn't turn up for more than half the games he played last year.

Last I heard Pires was signing for Galatassary(?). Have to ask the club whats that all about? He's still up for it, still fit for his age, so whats their problem? Oh I forgot, we have a white elephant to pay for........... :rolleyes:

overkill said:
*coughs* two championships in four years, three FA cups in four years, last time the pool won the championship 91' - 15 years ago. And it doesn't look like that runs going to end anytime soon! :D

God that was childish, but what the hell! :rotfl:
and you still can't play in Europe!! ;) *cough* FIVE count them FIVE european cups :clap:

God that was childish but what the hell! :rotfl:
overkill said:
Against TNS! Oh WOW! :D
Hmmm seriously I would've liked more than 3 and there were a couple of players that didn't look quite up to it - Morrientes for one. But there were some good performances and it was a comfortable win at the end of the day.
overkill said:
Last I heard Pires was signing for Galatassary(?). Have to ask the club whats that all about? He's still up for it, still fit for his age, so whats their problem? Oh I forgot, we have a white elephant to pay for........... :rolleyes:
I think Galatassary are interested but his agent is saying he favours Juve ...story here

Well when Gerrard signs for Villa and we win the Euro Cup next year i'll..... :boring: *wakes up* :eek:

What made me laugh last night was the comentator raving about the difference between Liverpool and TNS, what a pillock, there are over 200 league places between the 2 teams. TNS are league of Wales for Gods sake, that's only one step above Mansfield Miners Welfare over 65s ;)

and you still can't play in Europe
Really Smelly? I never knew that. :eek: Nor do I care. ;) So this:-
cough* FIVE count them FIVE european cups God that was childish but what the hell
was wasted really............ :D In particular since it rankles Liverpool fans that they haven't won the leauge in so long, and most Arsenal fans couldn't really give a stuff whether we win the champions leauge or not. I thank you....... :clap:

When the Champions leauge (sic) returns to champions only again I might, and with the p*ss poor standard of club football across Europe I'm not even convinced about that, be interested again. Until then - all yours. ;) :hiya:

Basically football is now so poor at all levels it's seriously switching me off. We saw in the last World cup, and even more so in Euro 'whatever', that its pretty much a level playing field now. Unfortunatly this isn't because the lesser sides have got better, but because the former 'top sides' have got worse - much worse. As these are the same guys turning out for the top clubs in Europe should we be surprised then that the standard is so low?

Anyone for tennis? :D

well if or when it returns to champions only you boys wont be in it anyway nor will we :lol: i do know what you mean though.but even when we did win it when it was its old format you still said we didnt deserve it so :hiya: :rotfl:

but getting back to the game,last night was a lose lose situation as your expected to beat the likes of TNS anyway but if its not convincing or a cricket score your in for a lambasting.on a slightly sower note i thought there was no need at all really for the game announcer to say before the minutes silence about "liverpool are no strangers to lose etc" when asking the crowd for the minutes silence,i mean everyone knows about our bad times etc so lets just leave it alone now.

but all the same it was a lovely hat trick by gerrard :)

you still said we didnt deserve it so
Wrongo Silver. ;) My beef is with your domestic erm' relationship with refs. :D Liverpools defeat of Borussia was a five star achievment. Shame, and this isn't Liverpools fault, it all went downhill after that.

Back on the transfer track, Vieras gone. Good luck to him. Gave us six good years and one mediocre one, but overall you can't complain when we won seven trophies in that time, contested two other finals, and two other championships. He gave 100% up until last season and that's all you can ask for. Great player, shame he lost interest in us. Wish him well for the future.

I think Arsenal have made the right decision there, as I don't think Viera had his heart in it 100% last season. I'm sure Wenger must have someone in mind to replace him.... Wright-Phillips ? There was talk about Jermaine Jenas, but I don't think he's the finished article yet. Mind you, knowing Wenger he will have lined up some French unknown for £9.99 who will turn out to be another Viera :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom