German voltage issues?

Wolfman310

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just thinking about importing some electrical items from germany, like you can with the Canton speakers, but......

Would the menus and display be able to change to English, as i understand they would be in German?

Also, what about voltage, would you be able to just cut the plug on that and put a UK plug on the end? whats involved?

Thanks for the advise!

I would think that most the units would be for the whole of europe and as such most things will be in english.

All europe runs 220 volts,so just change the plugs.Whenever you buy something these days,it comes in quite a few languages,so I see no problem there either.

Not 100% sure whatb plugs europe use but you can get converter plugs so you don't have to chop the fitted plug off :) They look just like a normal mains plug-all my Sony equipment has them as standard!!!

Germany uses 230/240V and 50Hz, so that's no problem. The German plug is either the "Euro" type (flat with 2 round prongs, no earth) or "Schuko" (round shaped with 2 round prongs and earth). Replacing it with a UK one should be no problem.

If menus are available in English, too, would depend on the manufacturer (I tend to say 'yes' but you never know unless you check).

cypher.007 said:
Also, what about voltage, would you be able to just cut the plug on that and put a UK plug on the end? whats involved?

Thanks for the advise!

Hi,
Yes, That will be fine.

I'm an English guy living in Germany at the moment, So I know for a fact that Stuff that I've bought from Germany works in England and stuff I've bought from England works in Germany, all that is needed is a plug change.

my 2500 imported from www.tsn had a ext three pin plug inside the box,so there was no need to cut any wires.i'm also sure that maplins would sell these plugs for a couple of quid.would save cutting anything if you had a fixed mains on anything electrical.

regards machinehead

machinehead said:
my 2500 imported from www.tsn had a ext three pin plug inside the box,so there was no need to cut any wires.i'm also sure that maplins would sell these plugs for a couple of quid.would save cutting anything if you had a fixed mains on anything electrical.

regards machinehead

Hi, the link doesn't work, any ideas?

Duster said:
Hi,
Yes, That will be fine.

I'm an English guy living in Germany at the moment, So I know for a fact that Stuff that I've bought from Germany works in England and stuff I've bought from England works in Germany, all that is needed is a plug change.

DO you think it is worth importing from Germany, or would you not bother?

sorry. try this http://www.tsnversand.de/ i bought my 2500 from these guys no hassle at all.i saved a load of cash so it was worth it imho.as i said it sounds great.for £550 i'm not going to complain.

regards machinehead

cypher.007 said:
DO you think it is worth importing from Germany, or would you not bother?

Somethings are really cheap, like petrol and food, and somethings aren't.

I don't think you save that much really on hi-fi from buying in Germany, and if you have a problem, then you have the extra problem of shipping it back.

I saved £100 on a Arcam AVR 300, by buying it in Germany.

Like others have said, you can find a good deal over here, but then , if you look around back home to, you can find good deals.

I only buy from Germany because i'm over here, as soon as I return to the UK, then I'll be buying again from the UK .

The Yamaha warranty is pan-european and Yamaha stuff seems to be cheaper in Germany. Denon and marantz on the other hand appear to be more expensive especialy after you consider the extra costs of currency tranferal and delivery (which is supprisingly cheap)

I have noticed some manufacturers are more expensive in germany whren you total up currency and postage, but some are a lot cheaper, a tadge weird i think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom