German Panasonic DVD recorder import question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by godi32, Nov 7, 2004.

1. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I wanna buy a Panasonic DMR-E65 DVD recorder in Germany but was wondering if the TV-tuner in it was going to be the same as when I buy the same model here in Belgium. How can I know for sure this is going to be the case? It's so much more expensive here.

Cheers,
    Dirk
    Belgium

2. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo Dirk,

I orderd mine at www.top-foto.de ; the owner Ingo Albert is Dutch-speaking.
    When you phone him and he sees it's a call from Belgium, he answers you in Dutch. :clap:

He assured me that all panasonic stuf is accompagnied with Dutch manuals. ( or at least multiningual, with a dutch chapter )

And I think the receiver is the same as in Belgium.

Marc ( from Louvain ;)

3. Monza

Monza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of Belgian people here :)

Well, I have the same problem.
    Next week, I'm going to Aachen to buy a Toshiba XS-32, but I had the same problem concerning the tuner.

To be sure, I've mailed to Toshiba in Germany to ask if the German models are usable in Belgium. This is their answer:

In Belgium you need a modell with SECAM Tuner. The german modell does not
    have an integrated SECAM Tuner.
    You need to buy the french modell.

To me, their answer isn't correct because in Belgium we're using the PAL-system (or am I wrong?)! So in other words, I think that a german recorder must be the same as a Belgian one...

I also kown that there were some differences in the past concerning the way that Nicam-stereo was used. I hope that I will receice Nicam with my futur German Toshiba... Afwachten dus...

Grtz from Ghent!

4. Paul W. H

Paul W. H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using 'world television standards' in Google finds

Television Standards by Country

COUNTRY SIGNAL TYPE

BELGIUM PAL B/H

FRANCE SECAM L

GERMANY PAL B/G

UNITED KINGDOM PAL I

I think the video side will be OK but there "could" be a problem with the audio

Paul W. H

5. Monza

Monza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tnx for your reply, Paul.
    It seems that Germany, The Netherlands and Italy have the same standard (PAL B/G) - this explains why the imported models work (see threads from other forum-members).

I've tried to find the difference between B/G en B/H, but couldn't find it (but I also think that it will be used by audio). May be that the built-in PAL-tuners are compliant with every type of PAL? Let's hope so... normally, tomorrow I'm going to Germany and I hope that I can come back with my recoder (and I hope that the German people of MediaMarkt can help me with this problem).

P.S. Why don't we have digital television in Belgium? - with the proposal of Telenet, it must be possible to connect their setup-box immediatly to the recorder. No built-in tuner needed...

6. i4c

i4c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should consider the Liteon 5045. I just ordered one from Germany to use in the UK
    Covers PAL-B'G, Pal-D/K. Pal-1 /1 or Secam-L/L.
    Looks good too!

7. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Basically it means you can see the picture but there will be no sound, hence the tuner side will be useless for recording and viewing from. You will however be able to happily record and playback from an external source.

9. Monza

Monza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been to Aachen today, but I didn't find the Toshiba :( .
    Personally, I don't think that the shops in Aachen are the most cheapest of Germany, because the prices were not that cheap (in general). It seems like that online ordering in Germany is more attractive then going to the real shops...

Godi32, have you found some interesting (German) online-shops where you would order your Panasonic?

In the meantime, I've also looked on the net and I found a shop called "Pixmania". They are not that expensive and they have my wanted Toshiba - but when I look at the specifications, there is marked "PAL/SECAM-B/G en D/K, SECAM-L" as television standard (see overhere). I don't think this will work in Belgium - I've telephoned to their service center, but they didn't know it either :rolleyes: . Even when I look to their French, german or dutch variants of their site, they are mentioning the same television standard... :confused: