George Thorogood

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by braehead, Oct 22, 2004.

1. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else out there like George Thorogood and The Destroyers?

Went into Fopp (best CD / DVD shop IMHO) at lunch time and they had 30 Years of Rock - their greatest hits. Listening to it in the office just now. Fantastic. Got a lot of it on vinyl up in the loft so good to get the bits I want on a CD. Only £5 too - bargain!!

2. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was lucky enough to see George Thorogood live in NZ around 1989/90. Great gig. The first couple of standing rows was taken by a local gang so there was no pushing or shoving funnily enough :D There was also a haze of "smoke" hovering over them as well. Secondary smoking had never been so much fun. :thumbsup:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer

4. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where about in NZ are you? I lived in Wellington for a year. Saw a few folks there. Tina Turner and Brian Adams stand out. Venues were small and perfectly formed!

5. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Dunedin and have seen some great gigs down here: Icehouse, Jimmy Barnes, Thorogood, Crowded House. For major international acts I had to travel to Christchurch - Tina Turner, Dire Straits. I was hoping Cold Chisel would bring their ringside gigs to NZ this year but it doesn't look like it will happen. Luckily I caught them in Sydney earlier this year. The live Ringside DVD is worth picking up.

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    The only song that I have heard from them is 'One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer', and its an absolute classic. Is the rest of their stuff in the same sort of style? Would you recommend me buying their 'Best of ..'?

7. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of his material, covers or not, is in the same bluesy bar room rock style. "I Drink Alone" is another one of my favourites. "Get A Haircut,and get a Real Job" became a single a while back. His most famous single, I think, would be "Bad To the Bone" used to best effect on the Termintaor 2 movie when Arnie takes off on the hog he acquires from a biker gang.

8. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Glimmer

Have you heard of anything of Ivor & Icehouse recently?

9. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny

I haven't listened to Iva Davies & Icehouse for many years to be honest. The last CD I listened to and enjoyed was "Code Blue". A CD called "Big Wheel" was released a couple of years back but I never heard anything from it. Also an inevitable remixes CD called "Meltdown" is out there somewhere.

The most recent release is "Heroes", a collection of covers performed by god knows which incarnation of Icehouse is around at the moment, but Iva's in there somewhere. It was released in August 2004.

http://www.sanity.com.au/product.asp?intProductID=570305&intArtistID=9994

10. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    How about Bad to the Bone on Terminator 2. :cool: . Oh and One Bourbon is no where near as good as the masters John Lee :clap:

11. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks' Glimmer :clap: :) :beer:

12. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another great snarly bluesy cover by George is "Who Do You Love". In fact his live CD would compliment any hits CD from the Destroyers.

13. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Must be a Kiwi thing Ive been listening to GT for 25 years even before he made it big.
    <came in last night about 1/2 past ten that baby of mine wouldnt let me in..