1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George Galloway, quotes from yesterday

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Harj, May 18, 2005.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I actually watched it and it was most interesting, seemed like the US commitee were a bit put off at what was unleashed by him, here are some of his quotes from yesterday.

the most interesting thing was that he was voluntarily testifying under oath, without immunity, at a combative congressional hearing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4557279.stm

"Who paid me hundreds of thousands of dollars? The answer to that is nobody and if you had anybody who paid me a penny you would have produced them here today."

"I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is that Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns."

"You traduced my name around the world without ever having asked me a single question, without ever having contacted me, without ever having written to me or telephoned me, without any contact with me whatsoever and you call that justice."

"Senator [Norm Coleman, committee chairman], this is the mother of all smoke screens. You are trying to divert attention from the crimes that you supported from the theft of billions of dollars of Iraq's wealth."

"You have nothing on me Senator [Coleman], except my name on lists of names in Iraq, many of which were drawn up after the installation of your puppet government in Iraq."

"I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one, and neither has anybody on my behalf."

"I know that standards have slipped over the last few years in Washington but for a lawyer you are remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice."

"One of the most serious mistakes you have made in this set of documents is such a schoolboy howler it makes a fool of the efforts you have made."

"Senator [Coleman], in everything I said about Iraq I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong and 100,000 have paid with their lives, 1,600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack of lies."

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Got to admire his pugnacious spirit even if I dont like him

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    George Galloway for PM! :smashin:

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    One or two looked a little shell shocked didn't they. I supposes they expected someone a little contite, not our George. Love him or loathe him Gallaway is what our Parliament needs more of the old fashioned conviction politician.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    It was a very good performance by him, but you can see by the look in his eye that he loves all the publicity, he's just a self-publicist at heart

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lucky this didn't happen before the election, a few more Respect candidates may have succeeded on the back of it.

Go go George!

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like his politics, but he is an excellent politician. I wonder how/if they report on this in the US?

8. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
  9. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    My personal favourite:

"I told the world that Iraq, contrary to your claims, did not have weapons of mass destruction. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to al Qaeda. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to the atrocity on 9/11, 2001. Senator, in everything I said about Iraq, I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong. And 100,000 people have paid with their lives -- 1,600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack of lies, 15,000 of them wounded, many of them disabled forever, on a pack of lies."

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I don't like the man, but if anyone needs a bloody nose more than Galloway it's the americans.

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Is it me, or when you read down the US reports, do these words
    perhaps explain why Galloway and others are being singled out? An attempt to diverting attention way from the US's business worlds dodgy dealings? Hmmmmmm?

12. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    It's a shame the electorate couldn't see his sterling performance before the election. I'm sure he would have gotten even more votes :)
    And I see New Labour have already nicked his Party's name to use in their latest campaign ;)

Galloway for President :)

BTW, what a lucky man, being given the opportunity to tell that smug committee exactly what many people here feel. Well done, that man

13. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    well i agree,comes across as not a likeable bloke but you gotta hand it to him certainly grabbed em by the throat.
    they say attack is the best form of defence but since when has lack of evidence stopped a government from crucifying someone they want to.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Followed perhaps by a re-showing of the televised interview with Saddam, where he sucked up to the kurds favourite arab leader to such an extent that he outraged even his own supporters?

Perhaps that would have balanced out any votes won by his 'sterling performance'............ ;)

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    A bit of sanity restored by Overkill there - let's not get carried away by all this showboating by Mr Galloway !

16. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    I agree.

Overkill, I admire your indefatigability.... ;)

17. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    As I said in another thread, if the British public were more aware of who the Government were "sucking up to", they might not even have won the election ;)

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Meaningless. No insult intended, but if every sitting govts 'foreign policy' had been 'exposed' going right back to the 19th C I doubt that few, if any, would have survived. Foreign policy is always a balance of what is right for the national interest, and what's 'morally right'. The latter is the lesser consideration - always.

Have a read around what the UDC had to say about foreign policy in the period 1914-63. Nothing's changed.

For the record, much of what we and the US has done appals me, national interest or no, but that's going back over a very long time period, not just the last ten years.

As to Galloway, rightly or wrongly, it one thing to balance "our", ie the Wests interests in the Middle East, it's quite another to personally toady up to a brutal mass murder live on TV. What sort of message did that send out? We love people who gas Kurds to death?

The mans been a prize idiot at times, and that's what makes him a menace not a 'hero'.

19. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Meaningless? Well, depends on how you look at things. I don't see why Galloway should be pilloried for his relationship with Hussein, when, as he points out himself, Rumsfeld has meet Hussein as many times and for more repugnant reasons.
    As far as excusing foreign policy by simply saying that it's always been thus is hardly credible. Anything can be changed, if there is a will to do it.
    As regards sending out messages, what sort of message does "We sell arms to people who gas Kurds to death" send?
    If Galloway is a menace, what does that make the US and Britain? No point castigating one while forgiving the other on the grounds of historical precedence.

20. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would sooner have a menace arguing for peace than a menace arguing for war anyday. Whatever the point scoring for or against in this mater surely everybody agrees that the committee should not make public allegations against a man without the charges being put, and for a chance to defend himself beforehand. In this whole sorry saga there have bben as many lies told as truths and nobody is blameless.

21. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I think at the end of the day, he's done enough to upset the hierarchys of UK and US governments that means he'll never see the end of this.

It's not policitically expedient for either government to have a loose cannon going about like that, so i'm sure they'll ensure that he has a lot to divert him from causing more trouble, rightly or wrongly.

22. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    So you don't agree that Galloway toading up to Saddam was wrong when he knew exactly what he'd been doing to the Kurds. In this instance I don't care what Rummy was up to, as he's an American statesman, and nothing to do with me. Galloway was representing our country in the eyes of the World.

Nonsense. Read around the topic and you'll find many have tried and all failed. They did so because 'national interest' always casts a veil over the truth. The one time that public opinion was sufficantly engaged with Foreign policy to stop war, was in the inter war period. The result of that? Appeasment. Great. :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: Who's excusing anything? I was pointing out the facts sorry, realities of the situation.

It sends out the message "we are pals with Saddam while he's enemies with Iran who've blown people to bits all over the world in a hideous terror campaign". I may not agree with the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' routine but that was the US foreign policy, and thus the Western Worlds policy for 50 years.

Again, as pointed out above, I forgive nothing. The whole point of this is to illuminate the hypocracy of supporting a guy who toadied up to a mass murderer (and still does) under the guise of 'doing it for peace', while attacking others who've done no more or less! Jesus! :rolleyes:

23. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Of course, I could argue exactly the same thing....the hypocracy of attacking Galloway while excusing the behaviour of others as merely "real world politics".
    I personally detest what Galloway did, but I also detest the past, present and ongoing lack of morality in Western foreign policy in general, and that of the US and the UK in particular. It does, to me at least, seem ludicrous that the people who are trying to demonise him for his relationship with Saddam are the very same people who themselves had even closer ties at one time.

This is more a difference of opinion than of fact, so although I have read reasonably widely "around the topic", I don't think any further reading will unearth anything that will change my opinion, naive as it may be ;)

24. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I see. Excusing like:-
    Funny, that seems like a condemnation not an 'excuse'.

Why so? These same people are trying to point out, as they have for some time, that he had illegal dealings with Saddam. If it proves that he didn't, then they will look very silly indeed. Until then Galloway remains what he's always been, a self publicizing buffoon.

Really? Since universities are currently encouraging Dr's and Professors to do more extra curricular reading to continue to expand their knowledge, you must be some kind of genius then! I therefore doff my cap in respect............. ;)

25. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Maybe that's just the University you teach at ;)

26. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    :eek: I wish! It's Oxbridge that set that ball rolling...............! :D

27. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    The "buffoon" is on Question Time tonight

28. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    That'll be fun! :D

29. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Galloway is da man, I was so laughing of admiration when he attacked USA.

I can't believe USA has the guts to attack other nations and people outside their own country when the worst dogs are in their own backyard.

Wasabi

30. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well said, remember his expressions of love for Saddam were a lot more recent that any official contact from the USA or the UK.

Also just wondering, has anyone seen his lovely huge villa in Portugal ? being an MP in Glasgow obviously pays well.....