1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George Galloway - innocent?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, May 16, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to feel sorry for the guy. Now he has to go the USA to clear his name. Does he look like an oil millionaire? I don't think so!

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I actually feel sorry for Oona King, the woman he got rid of in Bethnal Green. He deliberately targeted an area with a very large Muslim population where he could stir up trouble and they probably won't see him there again. She seems like the kind of politician who actually cares about the area she represents.

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, she must have been a good actress. I can't imagine ever feeling sorry for a politician.

I don't believe Galloway is guilty. I don't like him, but at least it's one less Labour seat.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127

This sounds like normal politics to me.
    As to Oona King..... mad leftie tub thumper with a very unbalanced approach to local government , hardly a shining star why do you think she was ousted so easily?
    Swap her with Galloway...same old same old if you ask me.

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who is paying Galloway's air fare I wonder?

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Love him or Hate him. I think you have to admire him. He says what he thinks whether it's popular or not. A trait all too rare these days, especially in politicians!

7. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    How comes he live in Portugal?

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    he's a scumbag, he probably is guilty anyway. He was an apologist for the saddam regime, and as far as i'm concerned he deserves everything he gets.

9. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Well thats settled then :smashin:

10. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I don't like the guy but can't help admire his tenacity. He's taken on the press, the government and even Paxman and won!

Tomorrow's joust with the US government is certainly going to be interesting.

RDB :)

11. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Amazing that the US govt announce this just after he wins his seat.

Would it have been investigated if he hadn't stood against Tony's mob?

Nice to see the 'special relationship' at work; obviously 'Bliar's' buttkissing has paid off.

BTW - I am not a Galloway fan, just tired of this corrupt, lying and insincere premier.

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Thank you guru. Lest we forget this is the guy who publicly sucked up to a mass murderer! I may not agree with the war, and yes, both Britain and the US supported Saddam in the past, but Galloway went too far.

:boring: This is getting far too much like the young ones (and the SWP) and Thatcher. That got tiring too....... :cool:

13. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    You mean the way Straw and Rice are sucking up to a mass murderer in Uzbekistan? Straw calls for "restraint" after reports of hundreds of unarmed civilians being shot dead, and the USA are "deeply disturbed" :confused:

This following the dismissal of Craig Murray by Blair and the F.O. for telling the truth about torture and murder there. What happened to the moral foreign policy idea?

Of course, there's a pipeline to be built................................

14. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65

15. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yeah, and I salute his indefatigability! :D

oops sorry, didn't mean to post twice, please delete!

16. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    he's now claiming that the documents are forged :rolleyes: his brain is certainly smaller than his ego if he thinks that he's worth 'framing' :D

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    And you suggest they do what? Same as happened with China? Or the same as Iraq? You can't have it both ways. Either you make as strong a protest as possible, as Straw has, or use force. We've seen how popular the latter course is.

We can of course use sanctions against Uzbeks but the UN has to approve that.

There is no such thing, nor ever has been. Every war, every action regards FP, can be picked to pieces and ugly truths dug out.

That is NOT a defense of Straw and co, however.

18. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Ah well you see, there's morality.....................and then there's selective morality which politicians preach...........

19. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Of course, Uzbekistan (as far as I'm aware, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) has no oil. Nor is it full of "dirty mozzies", who hate us clean living, white anglo-saxon types and our liberated Westernised ideals. And they also hate Jews, who make up a very large lobby group in the US and hold top jobs in top business in both the US and UK.

So why else would it be attacked?

20. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    "As strong a protest as possibe" :confused: I would hardly call what either America or Britain has done as that. Britain sacked Murray for highlighting the appalling behaviour of the regime.......thousands tortured each year. He claims the torture included: submersion of limbs in boiling liquids; pulling out of fingernails and rape, both homosexual and heterosexual of husbands, wives and daughters in front of their families. All this was carried out on Muslims to provide intelligence for the CIA to show Uzbekistans committment to the so-called War On Terror.
    Murray pointed out to Straw that the intelligence he was getting from Uzbekistan via the CIA was totally unreliable for the above reasons. His reward for highlighting these abuses? He was sacked. No moral outcry, no demands for action. In fact, it was swept under the carpet as quietly as possible.
    It should also be pointed out that, in Uzbekistan, political opposition is illegal, there is no freedom of speech, no right of assembly and no media freedom. Remind you of anywhere we recently invaded?

Well, the "three 'stans" are actually swimming with oil and gas, hence the great American interest in the region. One of the main reasons they were so intent on establishing a puppet regime in Afghanistan was because that is how they intend to get the oil and gas to the Gulf......a pipeline through Afghanistan. It is also the reason Rumsfeld negotiated a deal with Uzbekistan to establish a large military base in the country, the Karshi-Khanabad (K2) Airbase. Now, you can call me Mr. Cynical, but I think the toleration of the murderous regime in Uzbekistan is a direct result in the American interest in this oil and gas-rich region. It's just another case of turning a blind eye when there are multi-national oil interests at stake.

21. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I certainly stand corrected on the oil issue, and I agree wholeheartedly with you. Yet another case of murderous double standards by the anti-Christ Rumsfeld. And they have the cheek to haul George Galloway in front of a senate committee. They should hang, draw and quarter the entire Bush regime instead.

22. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Georges performance today was by far the most entertaining performance I've seen all year.

Once again this highlights how America misreads the rest of the world. They expected a man to come along, intimidated by their misplaced sense of importance."You owe me awe" the Tooth Fairy said in read dragon, I believe.

We'll they got a withering and stinging attack and frankly they didn't no how to handle it.

Fox news the most right wing and loony organisation refers to him as saucy and pay where CNN call him a firebrand.

I don't go a bundle of Mr Galloway, but he's fought his corner and continues to embarrass the government. I approve.

23. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Murray was sacked by the FO (nothing to do with 'nasty Tony') for not being what he was supposed to be - diplomatic. He isn't the first to suffer exactly the fate he describes, for doing exactly the same thing. It may not be right, but it isn't exactly unique to this govt. Henderson, one of our greatest ever FO thinkers, was hounded out of the service for his continued (and deemed undiplomatic) critiscm of the 3rd reich. He certainly wasn't wrong in his opinions..............

I think statements like this
    may have done him as much harm as his expose' on Uzbecks.

Although it wasn't really much of one. The Nat Geo ran a brilliant article on Uzbeks, exposing all the brutality of that bizzare regime about three years ago. No-one was much interested back then either.

It certainly does.

Why a blind eye? The US has a bad habit of actually encouraging these regimes not ignoring them.

Take Kuwait for example, a nation for which we fought a "war of liberation" over. Or did we? It (still) has a brutal family run dicatorship, and despite promises made by G Bush senior, the promised aid to the Kuwati resitance to force the ruling family to accept democracy, didn't, and is still yet to materialise. Why was it ok to force democracy on Saddams Iraq and not Kuwait?

They don't Xusia, they just don't care.