1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George Best

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Steve N, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I am a dedicated ABU. But some things transcend these petty rivalries.
    Come on Georgie - get well soon :thumbsup:

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Well poor old George has died.
    I don't want to seem cynical but no-one associated themselves with this thread before, but I suppose everyone will be expressing condolences now.

3. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't remember him as a football player, just a washed out old drunk...which is a shame I guess because he was supposed to be the greatest football player of all time. I have found the news frenzy surrounding him a little distasteful, it almost seems as though the media embraced his illness with glee which is a pity.

R.I.P. George.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    I was expecting one in the General Chat on his condition, but was surprised that there was not one on his death there. Anyway I have put a re-direct here from that forum.

I was lucky as a lad to be taken to a match when Man U was on and he was playing for them.
    Probably the only professional match I have seen but he was a legend then.

5. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    All geniuses have a flaw.

R.I.P. George.

6. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm the media. Bunch of hypocrites, the tabloids used to run him down and highlight his flaws yet those same papers will be running tributes tomorrow and all next week.

R.I.P.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    R.I.P George. I still remember that game when you ran rings around Northampton and all the other times you gave us all so much pleasure - even though I never supported the teams you played for. It's a shame we didn't see a few more years of his talent though :(

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    R.I.P
    I never seen him play but the footage i have seen was great, and he played for the first team to wear the green and white too, i would have loved to have seen his Hibs days as well as the legendary Utd stuff in the flesh. I have also been appalled by the media and their hyped news fishing exercises.
    I loved his quote (Hope this is right). "I spent all my money on fast cars, women and drink, I squandered the rest."

He will be remembered as a hero and legend, but it was a shame his life depended on drink so much and even when given the chance with a new organ transplant he squandered it. It's obvious what his real illness was - drink.

9. booyaka

booyaka
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    R.I.P George - Again he was a bit before my time but as a Man Utd fan, have seen lots of old games and footage of a really superb and talented footballer, who enjoyed the good times that the money and fame brought him. My dad who followed United home and away during the best era, says he is still the best ever!

It's a shame that it has ended this way for him but i guess that with the alcohol abuse over the years that has eventually cost him his life.

R.I.P George - I hope the media story goes away quickly so that his family can deal with the grief of a loved one dying, in peace.

10. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    His doctor had said to him 'I have some good news and bads news George, what do want first?' George said 'I'll have the bad news first' so the doctor replied 'you only have an hour to live!' so George replied 'what's the good news?' and the doctor said '24 hour drinking is now legal so the bar is open'

OK, so this was supposed to be serious. A great man has been lost but I think he lived his life to full and 'died by the sword'. My favourite quote about George, maybe not word for word:

I spent most of my money on fast cars, drink and women. The rest I squandered'

Ironic that he should die as a result of his alcoholism on the same week that 24 hour drinking was legalised. I would like to think that maybe they used whiskey in his drip rather than morphine.

On yet another tangent it was heartbreaking to see the Niger children dying through lack of care when George was surrounded by enough doctors to see him off nicely. Not a judgement but an observation on the world we live in

This post is not intended to offend anyone - sorry if it did

11. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    A great talent, but a poor example for the benefits or organ donation.

He took a donor liver and continued to drink. Thats wrong in my book.

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Agreed. An immense talent but there was always the feeling he could have been even more with some self discipline.

Even so- I hope that he didn't suffer and that his family are OK.

13. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Agreed whilst it's always sad when someone passes on this guy took the chance of somebody else getting the liver transplant and thumbed his nose at people by continuing to drink imo he should never have been given it. :mad:

Adrenochrome.

14. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    R.I.P George

never forgotten at Old Trafford

MUFC

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Yes, I must admit that he did do wrong by accepting the liver and then going back on the drink. I would rather remember him for his football as it was people like him who first got me interested in the game :)

16. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Lets hope we can all be perfect like you then........

17. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    One of the greatest footballers the world has ever seen... I used to go and see him play at Old Trafford, and even had the good fortune to meet him once.
    He will be sadly missed, not enough real "characters" in football these days.

18. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    "Best in Peace"

Not a footie fan but he was up there with the greats. I feel for his family at their sad loss

19. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was raised a United fan by my dad...who lived and breathed George Best.

I was too young to see him at Old Trafford but when he returned from America and signed for Hibernian....my dad took me to Easter Road to see the legend make his debut.

His legs where gone but the old magical touches were still there.

An experience I have never forgot.

George Best - the first superstar footballer....I will miss you.

20. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm obviously a Liverpool fan, but i had nothing but respect and admiration for George Best.. A true legend and will be sadly missed .. :(

My condolences for his family and friends .. :(

21. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Rather a crass comment. It has nothing to do with being perfect. It does have something to do with social responsibility.

No one is criticising his ability as a football player.

But when one person accepts an donor organ they have a important social obligation. All potential transplant organs are heavily contested. His illness was brought on through self inflicted alcoholism. He could have used the oppurtunity to turn his addiction around and champion a very worthy cause. Thay would have been admirable.

But no, he used the transplant to continue his vice and lifestyle.

He therefore deserves praise for nothing more than his sporting prowess and should not be "canonised" in any other way.

22. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The mans alchoholism was an illness.I'm quite sure many others slipped back down the slope after receiving medical help but then they are not in the public eye.Dont condemn the man as the press have done in order to sell papers(admittedly he made things a little easy for them)he had had an addiction for decades yet he could be in a bar and everyone would want to buy him a drink('guess what,I bought Bestie a drink').

George's only failing was he was not strong enough to stop his addiction and perhaps the people who surrounded him was no help to him either.

George Best.

1946 - 2005.

23. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Don't matter how strong or weak the people around him were . George didn't want to stop drinking , no matter what . There was nothing his family could have done .

John

24. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Sorry John I have to disagree.An addiction is an addiction,whether its drink,drugs or cigarettes.

If your surrounded by your addiction,it's most difficult to stop especially when you have done it most of your life.

25. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    I was confused for a moment there before I re-read your post properly :suicide: . Ignore my post , I thought you were having a pop at his family , when infact , you were commemting on is social circle .

John

26. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What struck me about the news reporting of this was that we had some extremely serious events happening throughout the world ( people dying and suffering badly ) yet George Best is given top billing on the BBC and ITV news, now i don't want to sound callous or uncaring but this just confirms to me that news is now infotainment and shows how far broadcasters have sunk as far as judging real news goes. Best was shifted to the front of the queue to get a new liver because of who he is and this new liver gave him the chance of a fresh start in life, he abused this chance, now alcoholism is an addiction for sure ( not a disease ) addicts can be cured if they want to be and he definately knew he was an addict and he had the money to book himself the best treatment but didn't and for him to continue drinking shows the man had a deep sadness and loneliness within him that probably only he himself understood, he wasted a second chance in life and i think deep down he had a self destruct mechanism and maybe even wanted to die.

No doubt a great footballer but also a man who i also think was pyscholigally damaged and did not like himself thus drank to keep away the pain.

Addictions can be very hard to stop and unless you truly have help from all those around you and proper support as well as mental willpower then you won't stop, i laugh when i read about Kate Moss spending 3 weeks in a top american clinic for cocaine ( allegedly ) addiction, she had been abusing herself for over ten years with the stuff and spends 3 weeks in a clinic, that woman is not cured but she will hide it better to stop newspapers getting their story as she has million dollar contracts to think of.

I actually live above a pub ( groan ) weekends are a nightmare and i for one don't want 24 hour opening unless they can ensure pubs get proper soundproofing as the bass just seeps through the building until 1am at present.

Anyways this country really needs to ditch the pub culture which George Best was part of and look for new ways to entertain people in the evenings.

27. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    George was a Genius as a footballer and thats how I will remember him. Yes, he was an alcoholic, as are millions of other people.
    What disgusted me about the coverage in the press is the way the portray him today as opposed to how he was 2-3 years ago. Back then the Sun/Mirror had headlines saying he deserved no treatment, he only has himself to balme and he should just be left to die.
    Now they changed their tune completely with there centre page George Best posters and souviner pull outs.

28. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The media builds them up to knock them down... To them it just sells more newspapers.. Those who knocked the man are just talentless jealous people.

It takes a brave and nieve person to have an opinion on someone without ever standing in their shoes... George Best gave a lot of enjoyment to his fans - kids and elders alike. He done a lot for charity too and should be remembered for that ! :)