1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George Best - What an utter disgrace!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelm, Jun 9, 2005.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I find it unbelievable that this waste of space is still walking the earth. He wasted his career through drink and his entire life revolves around the bottle. Not only is he an unreformed alcoholic, he is an unrepentant one too. He shot his liver to hell through alcohol abuse and denied a worthy soul of a new one when he was given a new one to put through the mangle.

Without a doubt the greatest player of all time, he was an icon respected by millions. He repaid his fans' adulation by going on drinking binges, missing training sessions and matches and ultimately walking out on Man Utd not once, but twice. Yet the fans still worship him. Hardly a week goes by without us being treated to pictures and stories humiliating Diego Maradona, yet Best is treated, still, like a national hero, especially over here.

I really wish the media would leave him lying in the gutter where he belongs.

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Agreed. That really annoyed me when they give him a new liver, when they knew damn well he'd just abuse it same as the last! Liver transplants are risky, and the failure rate (according to patients health) is high by modern standards. Someones caring parent could have had that liver!

Greatest UK player, although the latter is true, and boy has he let every single last one of them down, so many times.

Geroge Best, worthless waster................ :mad:

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    quite agree....I can only imagine that he had very little to do with the raising of his son Callum since he 'seems' to be a fairly decent guy......ok i admit it, I have seen him on love island which my wife and daughter watch :)

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I honestly don't think George Best is a disgrace and deserves a chance with a transplant just as much as anyone. He is a drunk and has no control over it in any way, it controls him pure and simple. The chance of the liver was a decision made by others and not George.

This disease will kill him in the not to distant future and a great footballer will be lost to history. :(

5. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree his behaviour is disgraceful but he has a disease and deserved the transplant. However, he has shown that this is not the solution for him and if he gets worse I do not feel he deserves to have another transplant over another patient.

Geroge was the greatest player ever, and a real hero to most of us growing up in Belfast, but his later years are best forgotten . I was behind the goal mouth at Windsor Park, and remember seeing him score the 'best goal that was ever dissallowed' - anyone remember when he kicked the ball out of Gordon Banks hands to score a legitimate goal.... which because the ref had never seen it before...wouldn't allow it....Best was genius, but I wish he would just dissapear now.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I think it is too easy to dismiss alcholics. It is an illness, but the issues with Best are about his total disregard for a god given talent that many of us would have loved.

I concur though, he is best left alone now and he cant be long for this world.

Pete.

7. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Agreed but it was the way it happened tho... how many folk in the que did he jump to get it??

Not good.... and now he is wasting it... a prat and he deserves a right good slap!!

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    He isn't a disgrace!? :confused: Sorry, but this kills me. A guy gets aggressively drunk in public, abuses people, is violent to women, men, or anything that says 'no' and he's an ok guy?! Let's get this in perspective. Ordinary joe, same problem. Peoples attitude to him? Total a*sehole to be revilled - if he doesn't try and help himself. Which Best, according to those who know him well, hasn't. I have a lot of sympathy for alcoholics, but it lessens when they do nothing about it.

Out of interest, Healthcare professionals do make a risk assessment on a potential liver recipient. Somehow Best escaped that..........

I admire Best the footballer as much as anyone, but Best the man? No chance.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    I agree with Overkill here, if this was a normal 18 year old doing this then he would be branded an antisocial binge-drinking yob who should be locked up - how can it be different rules for different people ?

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    geroge best,a degenerate pisshead and a waste of a liver.he also played football.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep he's got a problem, a serious one. I think he's made more money out of it then he has out of football with his books and goes on parky. He knows he's a disgrace, callums a discgrace and can't even blame it on drink

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    is callum a baddun?....don't really know anything about him and never even heard of him before this love island thing, but he seems ok