George A. Romero's - Survival of the Dead (2009)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
He's at it again, after Diary of the Dead, which i enjoyed though could off been better, the next one currently untitled is rumored to take place on an island, including underwater zombies, who'll be swimming, grabbing people's legs, pulling them down. Maybe slip a shark in there too ;)

Filming has started in Toronto on sunday. Romero is now an official citizen of Canada, he just got his Canadian passport. My only problem is a Zombie films just dont scare, well the last few Romero's one did not, they just all lack tension :( 'REC' featured infected people, that was the last scary film i saw.

The only scary Zombie films were those of the 70's/80's, when George Romero was at his peak, and other directors for that matter.

The only contemporary Zombie film to scare me was REC, but there more along the lines of infected humans rather than Zombies.

George, if you're reading this, get Savini on board.

From all the 'behind he scenes' stuff, it always seemed like when those two were working together, it was less like work and more like a couple of kids having a laugh. That's what I think makes Dawn and Day so much better than Land or Diary. They seemed to be making it all up as they went along.

Who's making World War Z? Maybe George should be given that. That could be something spectacular.

Give it up George. I love ya but you really are milking this now. Night, Dawn and Dead are amazing but Land was a disappointment and Diary sucked. Do something else before you do a Lucas and taint the memories of your original, superb trilogy. :lesson:

Give it up George. I love ya but you really are milking this now. Night, Dawn and Dead are amazing but Land was a disappointment and Diary sucked. Do something else before you do a Lucas and taint the memories of your original, superb trilogy. :lesson:

Too old to change?

He is doing a remake off the 1973 'The Crazies', where the military attempts to contain a combat virus that causes death and permanent insanity in those infected. Sounds familiar :rolleyes:

How about a nice rom-com?

I guess he's just going to keep doing it until he makes one people like.

Any Romero is better than none :smashin:

And NOTHING will ever take away from the greatness that is the original trilogy :cool:

George, if you're reading this, get Savini on board.
Amen

And NOTHING will ever take away from the greatness that is the original trilogy :cool:
I totally agree.

I wasn't overly struck on the style of Diary of The Dead, although it was integral to the film (which I thought was ok, need to watch it again really).

A traditionally made/shot independant Romero zombie flick (hopefully with Savini) could still be great.

Personally i love Diary Of The Dead,complete improvement over the god awful Land Of The Dead,i do agree with most comments about never emulating the sucess or atmosphere of the original trilogy but then if he had i don't think they would have worked.Dawn is imo the greatest horror film ever put on film and no re-imagining or sequels/spin offs will ever capture the magic of what was filmed back then.He lost the plot with land and created a misjointed mess of a film that i never want to watch again simply because he had a broken script hanging around but i am looking forward to his next piece of zombie action.

First movie photo

In the wake of E4's great Dead Set, who would of thought.
The Romero camp have released the first look at their new film - tentively known as 'Island of the Dead'.

romero1031008.jpg

ps

Those wanting Tom Savini onboard to help, looks like Savini is totally into acting now, retired from special effects and not directed since 2004. But it only takes a phone call George.

Please, George, enough all ready.

His last three efforts have all been absolutely terrible.

agreed

although i also enjoyed land of the dead too

still not watched diary though

Please, George, enough all ready.

His last three efforts have all been absolutely terrible.
I'd have to disagree.

Although i can understand people not being keen on the last two, Day of the Dead is a classic :lesson:

I'd have to disagree.

Although i can understand people not being keen on the last two, Day of the Dead is a classic :lesson:

Terrible acting, script and story.

I think he got lucky with Night and Dawn.

:rolleyes:

Seriously. Is he really making a point about consumerism in Dawn? I'm not convinced; especially given the quality of what came after (i.e. Day and Land).

The 'consumerism' angle stems from setting the second and third acts of Dawn in a shopping mall...but where else would you set a modern-day siege movie?

I think he got lucky when people started attributing a deeper meaning to his little horror movie, and he has been getting away with it ever since.

Was more a comment about Day of the Dead having

Terrible acting, script and story.

Okay, so we know the script was not as huge as what George really wanted to do, but I think he did a fantastic job with the script. The story and acting were fine, and a hell of a lot better than most of Night, and a good few of Dawn.

IMHO, Day is the best of the bunch.

Hmm

Am surprised he hasn't thought about zombies in space

He needs to raise the bar, zombie films in general are not scary considering they are horror. Dead Set on E4 did a good job and REC was very effective. Both better than Romero's last few efforts. Forget the deeper social commentaries, give us a balls out zombie horror, but i doubt it, its not his style, he's been doing the same thing over 38 years.

Was more a comment about Day of the Dead having

Okay, so we know the script was not as huge as what George really wanted to do, but I think he did a fantastic job with the script. The story and acting were fine, and a hell of a lot better than most of Night, and a good few of Dawn.

IMHO, Day is the best of the bunch.

I agree, Hugh. I first saw Day of the Dead when I was under ten and I still have fond memories of it.

Since then I've seen Romero's other zombie movies, but I just don't find them as satisfying as DayotD.

I would be excited about watching DayotD again, but I'd be entirely disinclined to watch most of his other zombie movies, on the other hand.

(DawnotD is the only exception: I'm quite keen to see it again.)

Cheers

I'd have to disagree.

Agreed. Day is one of favourite Romero films. Grungy as hell. And, you gotta love Bub. :thumbsup:

Seriously. Is he really making a point about consumerism in Dawn? I'm not convinced; especially given the quality of what came after (i.e. Day and Land).
Yes, and there's plenty of social commentary in Day and Land (perhaps even slightly heavy handed in Land) ,surely you can't have missed that.
The 'consumerism' angle stems from setting the second and third acts of Dawn in a shopping mall...but where else would you set a modern-day siege movie?
Can you think of a better place to make a comment on modern consumerism that a mall?
I think he got lucky when people started attributing a deeper meaning to his little horror movie, and he has been getting away with it ever since.
Its quite deliberate and quite obvious too, luck doesn't come into it, at all.

This synopsis comes from a press release for the film, so they say, so it could be the plot for the movie. One i think i could watch :)

Spoiler

romero-synopsis.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom