Distinguished Member
George A. Romero has died aged 77 :(

RIP

George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77

george_romero_collage_by_tweinald-d5g6ygc.jpg
romero_2728825b.jpg

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
A great genre filmmaker, but his films had more going for them than mere horror and gore: they often had something to say about state of society and human nature.

Funnily enough I just started watching Dawn of the Dead 1978 for the first time last night.

Day of the Dead was a film I watched over and over again as a kid. Loved it for its claustrophobic and terrifying atmosphere. Bubs was great too (the first lovable zombie?). Cool 80s soundtrack and some genuinely good dream sequences, which can be difficult to pull off with any sort of tension or dramatic effect.

Day of the Dead (1985) - IMDb

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
A great genre filmmaker, but his films had more going for them than mere horror and gore: they often had something to say about state of society and human nature.

Funnily enough I just started watching Dawn of the Dead 1978 for the first time last night.

Day of the Dead was a film I watched over and over again as a kid. Loved it for its claustrophobic and terrifying atmosphere. Bubs was great too (the first lovable zombie?). Cool 80s soundtrack and some genuinely good dream sequences, which can be difficult to pull off with any sort of tension or dramatic effect.

Is that the one with wall of hands, if so I enjoyed the film have it on limited ed. disc somewhere

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Is that the one with wall of hands, if so I enjoyed the film have it on limited ed. disc somewhere

That's the one! Great use of cinematography and action choreography in such a confined and potentially boring location (underground). Need to rewatch it soon.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

I'm quite fond of Day of the Dead - a proper 80s zombie movie. I only watched it for the first time properly back in the early 2000s iirc. I got it on DVD. However, I remember it being in the roster of trailers on many a VHS movie back in the 80s - just never had the guts (pun intended) to watch the actual thing! The only thing that grated about Day was Joseph Pilato's (captain Rhodes) over acting, but he makes up for that with probably one of the best
death sequences
ever. Cool soundtrack/score as you say.

RIP George.

Garrett

I remeber seeing Night of the Living Dead before it became popular at a little independent cinema. I never seen a horror film like that before I think it was advertised as the most horrific film sight and sound. Just wish they called it something other than zombie film.

RIP George.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
RIP

Sonic67

Banned
He pretty much invented the horror zombie genre. Shuffling zombies, eating brains, unstoppable, the virus carried in a bite, he left a huge legacy.

RIP.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom