• >1,000,000 . . . im a pro!

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

bluevortex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Geometry Wars:

Check it out guys - my top score is 2.5 million :eek:

Okay, I can't do it. . . my honest score is a mere 165,000 (hangs head in shame :suicide: )

This game is eating up around 90% of game time at the moment. I have watched the videos of K4rnage scoring gazzilions which helped a bit but it got me wondering what is the average top score of av forums users?

Any tips on this game? I have 3 achievements unlocked so far, 100K, survive 100K and the 60 secs survival one. Only 9 to go :eek:
What about them black hole things, do you destroy them straight away or use them to help trap some baddies?

Blue

I'm useless at this game.

My top score is around 280k, but it seems every game goes the same way - get to 100-150k on one life, die, lose all remaining lives in a short space of time and end up with a final score of around 200k :(

bluevortex said:
Geometry Wars:

Check it out guys - my top score is 2.5 million :eek:

Okay, I can't do it. . . my honest score is a mere 165,000 (hangs head in shame :suicide: )

This game is eating up around 90% of game time at the moment. I have watched the videos of K4rnage scoring gazzilions which helped a bit but it got me wondering what is the average top score of av forums users?

Any tips on this game? I have 3 achievements unlocked so far, 100K, survive 100K and the 60 secs survival one. Only 9 to go :eek:
What about them black hole things, do you destroy them straight away or use them to help trap some baddies?

Blue

my score is 274,000 roughly i kill blackholes to start with then around 200,000 when it starts to get a bit busy with baddies i let the black holes eat some up but kill the black holes before they explode. My tip(although im not that good) is dont use your R2 button (clear screen) unless you really have to as it eats up your points you shopuld not need it untill after 150,000 IMHO.

Cost me the skin on my thumbs, but I'm on 1.25 million or so.

As for the black holes, blow them up straight away. As the screen fills up, they become more hassle than they're worth.

I tend to go round the screen in a circular motion, mowing down anything in front of me. Works quite well.

Best tip though: don't hesitiate! Even if you think there's no way through, just keep flying and shooting in the same direction and 9/10 times you'll come though the other side unscathed. As soon as you hesitate, change direction etc, you'll get completely swamped and you've had it.

My top score is ~1.3m, my best Achievement is surviving 500,000.

The great thing about the game is the more you play, the better you get. Just be sure to play a few games every day. (Not too many though, because if you're too focused, you'll get nowhere.)

I was stuck on 100,000 for the longest time, then I had a matrix moment where all of a sudden I just... knew. You'll find you have moments like that where you score significantly higher than your top score. Then you don't get close for a while before your next 'moment'.

My top tips would be:

1. Follow your guns.

Particularly important when it gets busy on screen. Fly in a circle around the screen - not too close to the edges though - and watch your ship more so than what's going on around you. Your guns should clear a path for you and when you eventually get some space, you can then target the enemies following you.

2. Spread your fire.

Kinda wiggle the sticks a little to create a bigger hole for yourself. Very important, but useless if you're not following your guns!

3. Kill everything.

Sounds obvious but, the black holes are a good example. If you can get at them and destroy them, do it! They usually sit in the corners of the screen, so when you're doing circles, they make for a pretty easy targets. Your guns should be strong enough that you can fly right into them.

4. Use your bombs. Wisely.

If it's game over and you have x many bombs left, you know you could have scored more by using them.

All in all, a great game. I still play it every so often but frankly, I don't think I'll ever get the last two or three Achievements.

matt_p said:
Cost me the skin on my thumbs, but I'm on 1.25 million or so.

As for the black holes, blow them up straight away. As the screen fills up, they become more hassle than they're worth.

I tend to go round the screen in a circular motion, mowing down anything in front of me. Works quite well.

Best tip though: don't hesitiate! Even if you think there's no way through, just keep flying and shooting in the same direction and 9/10 times you'll come though the other side unscathed. As soon as you hesitate, change direction etc, you'll get completely swamped and you've had it.

Yep im definately suffering from 'xbox thumb' with this one. I just can't seem to get into the habbit of firing forward and moving in the same direction. I end up trying to destroy enemies behind me which is my downfall. . . guess i need to keep practicing. So you managed 1.25 million! Thats awesome mate, have you unlocked all the achievements then?

runam0k said:
My top score is ~1.3m, my best Achievement is surviving 500,000.

The great thing about the game is the more you play, the better you get. Just be sure to play a few games every day. (Not too many though, because if you're too focused, you'll get nowhere.)

I was stuck on 100,000 for the longest time, then I had a matrix moment where all of a sudden I just... knew. You'll find you have moments like that where you score significantly higher than your top score. Then you don't get close for a while before your next 'moment'.

My top tips would be:

1. Follow your guns.

Particularly important when it gets busy on screen. Fly in a circle around the screen - not too close to the edges though - and watch your ship more so than what's going on around you. Your guns should clear a path for you and when you eventually get some space, you can then target the enemies following you.

2. Spread your fire.

Kinda wiggle the sticks a little to create a bigger hole for yourself. Very important, but useless if you're not following your guns!

3. Kill everything.

Sounds obvious but, the black holes are a good example. If you can get at them and destroy them, do it! They usually sit in the corners of the screen, so when you're doing circles, they make for a pretty easy targets. Your guns should be strong enough that you can fly right into them.

4. Use your bombs. Wisely.

If it's game over and you have x many bombs left, you know you could have scored more by using them.

All in all, a great game. I still play it every so often but frankly, I don't think I'll ever get the last two or three Achievements.

For the longest time i was stuck on 30K and i had the 'matrix' moment . I can consistently score 120k+ but soon lose all my lifes soon after this point. Thanks for the advice and i think your right btw, play this game to much in one sitting you start making stupid mistakes - or atleast i do :rolleyes:

bluevortex said:
So you managed 1.25 million! Thats awesome mate, have you unlocked all the achievements then?

I've got 8 of 12. I'm yet to get:

10x multiplier (keep getting to 9x then dying! :mad: )

Collect 9 bombs (keep getting to 8 bombs then dying! :mad: )

Survived 500,000

Survived 1,000,000

Must say, by the time I got to 1.25 million, i was so drained I needed a few months off! :D Haven't played in while, but this thread inspired me to give it another go. Got a day off while my flat is being fixed up after a burst central heating pipe, so I may as well put it to good use!

Just scored 100k. Doh! :laugh:

matt_p said:
Got a day off while my flat is being fixed up after a burst central heating pipe, so I may as well put it to good use!

Im up in aberdeen. Snowing like crazy here right now if it continues i will be taking the laptop and working from home for rest of the day! Getting paid to play GW, great :rotfl:

bluevortex said:
Im up in aberdeen. Snowing like crazy here right now if it continues i will be taking the laptop and working from home for rest of the day! Getting paid to play GW, great :rotfl:

Clear blues skies here in Nottingham, but flippin freezing. I'm sat here with all the windows open because the walls are being repainted. I either freeze and breathe oxygen, or close the windows and get high as a kite!

I think Geometry Wars with all it's flashing lights might be a bit too much for me if I'm off my face on paint! :rotfl:

My top score now is 290k and that was two weeks ago, nearest since then is 280k, had a few matrix moments, then promptly blew my lives immediately in a screaming rage of andrelin :D

I tend to make the mistake of looking at my score after losing my first life, then going to pot, think it's taking 90% of my game time up at the moment, can't be arsed with these £40-50 games like PGR3 and PDZ, I'm happy with a game costing a few quid, is that wrong????

Cheers

Kaiser.

csd7025 said:
My tip(although im not that good) is dont use your R2 button (clear screen) unless you really have to as it eats up your points you shopuld not need it untill after 150,000 IMHO.

Its better to use the bombs though as it carries on your multiplier and preserves lives.

But yes, it should not be needed into the high 000'000's once you have the technique of the game.

However, does anyone else find that the games difficulty level is a bit odd. Sometimes I can get 200'000 and not have any difficult moments and othertimes I stuggle to 100'000. It just seems to me that the number of enemies spawning is not very consistant...

dodger747 said:
Its better to use the bombs though as it carries on your multiplier and preserves lives.

But yes, it should not be needed into the high 000'000's once you have the technique of the game.

However, does anyone else find that the games difficulty level is a bit odd. Sometimes I can get 200'000 and not have any difficult moments and othertimes I stuggle to 100'000. It just seems to me that the number of enemies spawning is not very consistant...

yeah i find the difficulty level very inconsistent.
seen a guy giving tips and he said best way to play is kill everything quick at the start but don't fire constantly and this supposedly seems to make it easier to get going with not so many hard waves of enemies early on.

have definitely seen loads of games where there is quite a few of the red enemies that home in on you quick and have a kind of shield when i have only just reached 100,000 but other times i only get the odd one right up to 300,000.
also sometimes get the wave where the swarm of very small almost flylike enemies spawn from all 4 corners but can play other times and not see these after a few hundred thousand.

have even seen me come out of the game and then reload it to try and see if it gets easier once your high score resets.

very good game but extremely frustrating. especially the aforementioned matrix moments. seem to be doing great and then get a high score (mines is over 500,000) and then can't get near it for ages??:confused:

kaisersozeuk said:
I tend to make the mistake of looking at my score after losing my first life, then going to pot, think it's taking 90% of my game time up at the moment, can't be arsed with these &#163;40-50 games like PGR3 and PDZ, I'm happy with a game costing a few quid, is that wrong????

Cheers

Kaiser.

Strangely enough i have been doing the same. I think its because of the pick up n play element of these games. MS is surely onto a winner with XBLA. My girlfriend (a complete non-gamer) has been addicted to XBLA. I have PGR and COD2 and have probably spent more time on arcade! Lovin' it :clap:

the guy here at work who made GW is pretty good at it :D
spent many an hour sat watching him play it, I on the other hand am pretty dire at it..
:rolleyes:

I usually get between 100-160'000, most I got was 280'000 when I was one ofthem matrix moments..I cannot get the points for not shooting/killing anything for the first 60 seconds of the game thoguh, it's just so frustrating...

PhilNUK said:
the guy here at work who made GW is pretty good at it :D
spent many an hour sat watching him play it, I on the other hand am pretty dire at it..
:rolleyes:

Where do you work?
Bizarre?

PhilNUK said:
yup... am here now... working late... :boring:

But hopefully time well spent when you come up with your next addictive concuction for us all......:smashin:

Golfpunk said:
But hopefully time well spent when you come up with your next addictive concuction for us all......:smashin:
hopefully you are patient :smashin:

PhilNUK said:
Hey Phil, get your mate to get oooooooffff his arse and create a two player version for live!!!!!!!! :)

PhilNUK said:

I'm impressed:thumbsup:

However, tell your lazy devs to get off their arse and sort the bugs with PGR3 out:smashin:

BTW, what is your job there, if you don't mind me asking?

dodger747 said:
I'm impressed:thumbsup:

However, tell your lazy devs to get off their arse and sort the bugs with PGR3 out:smashin:

BTW, what is your job there, if you don't mind me asking?

heh, I am Lead Level Designer.... been working here since 1999... have been on a different project to the PGR3 guys, but you will find me in the credits of PGR 3 under additional art or something similar... :hiya:

Last time i posted my score on here, it was 700,000. Now it's 2,451,795. That's about 3 - 4 weeks progress.

I still don't have all 12 achievements. I need to survive a million.

This is still the game i play most on my 360.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom