1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geometry Question...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tuftus, Jan 24, 2005.

1. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope that some one can offer me some advice.

I have just picked up a new tv, Philips 32PW9509/05 and am quite pleased with it.

However I think that the geometry may me slightly off, when you activate the Pixel Plus 2 Demo, it puts a vertical white line up the centre of the screen to show you it in off and on mode.

From the bottom of that white line going up the screen, at about two thirds / three quarters of the way up it starts to drift to the right.

So the line is I would say 3-4mm greater to the right than the bottom.

Is this acceptable for a brand new set or does it just need tweaking in the service menu?

If so could some one please lead me along the path of the riteous?

:lease:

2. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone????

3. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know much about Philips, but it may be possible to tweak it in the service menu - I'd say it sounds like the geometry is not correctly adjusted, but you really need a test card to confirm that. Some DVD's have test cards as part of THX setup - take a look at one if you have one to see exactly what the geometry is up to.

As an example, to correct this on my mates 32ZP18 (I have corrected some minor geometry/setup issues with his) would mean reducing CSAW to bring the line to an even curve top and bottom, then using CPAR to even up the pinbalance. Then a tweak of PARA or TCNR/BCNR depending on the error to finish the job. But of course the service menu on a philips is totally different - it's just an idea of what you will need to do.

Three things - first check out the data base here to see if your service menu and it's various adjustments is here, so you can see what settings you need to adjust. Second, don't do this without some sort of test card. Third, note down EVERY value before you start to change it in case you make matters worse!

5. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    crts are never perfect by the nature of the way they are made up. having said that there are things u can do in the service menu. I ended up phoning toshiba to ask about my 32" tv. To be told that all 32" tubes had geometry that wasnt perfect and i could return the set or live with it (its on its way back as i type).

Mine was really bad! the more you read about it the more problems you will notice!

good luck