1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geometry problems with Panasonic TX28PM12 in 4:3 mode, please advise

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by norm, Jul 4, 2005.

1. norm

norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm experiencing problems when watching material in 4:3, the top 10% of the picture seems to be slanted inwards at the edges, in that the frame doesn't run perfectly parallel with the edges of the screen. Is there any way to correct this?

Obviously this isn't an issue in 16:9 mode because the picture takes up the whole of the screen.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    It may be an issue - just that you can't see it.

Perfect geometry is quite hard to achieve on a CRT set - the bigger, the harder. It may be possible to improve on it via a service menu, but this isn't work for the feint hearted - an engineer is a safer bet, especially if it's still under warranty. If you do venture into such a menu (and I don't know how, on this type of TV I'm afraid) then there is one bit of advice I'll give you, just in case someone else can tell you how to enter it:

WRITE DOWN ALL THE FACTORY VALUES BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING

You may also find that the extent of this bending varies depending on how bright the image is; that is a symptom of cheap manufacture and is not correctable.

3. pxmm

pxmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I used a Digital Video Essentials (available here on the forum) pattern to set my pm12 up. It's not an expensive tv and it is true that no CRT is perfect. The best you can ever hope for is a compromise. Currently my setup has a slight bow inwards on the edge of 4:3 images in order to maintain a better image at the edge of the screen. It also has a slight colour convergence problem on the right side of the screen but I can live with it since I've seen for myself is the best I will likely get with this tv; this is my 3rd one and others have had other horrendous problems.

I should also like to stress the importance of not changing ANYTHING in the service menu without noting down the original settings first. Details on getting into the Panasonic service menu can be found here .

On another note, I do actually like my pm12 a lot, it doesn't have horrible picture 'enhancements' that I dislike such as Philip's Pixel Plus. :thumbsup: