1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geometry,Menu Query,ie Trapezium?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RATMARK, Dec 29, 2001.

1. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to sort out my geometry problems,I have got into the service menu,s on the T.V (Thompson scenium 44" proj )
    I can understand what most of the menu options will do with respect to vertical /horizontal alignment etc but there are a few of which i have no idea what they mean or what effect they will have.
    I dont want to touch anything untill im sure i don,t do more damage than good
    Can anybody help?
    options to change are;
    (horizontal ) h- vco
    h-delay

(vertical) v-blanking

and then these;

ew - amplitude
    ew - trapezium
    ew - shape
    :confused:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    H-VCO sounds like voltage control oscillation. I would leave this alone until I knew EXACTLY what is it does.
    H-Delay: Same again

EastWest Amplitude sounds like changing the horizontal size of the image. It'll make the image iwder or narrower probably.
    Trapezium is like keystone correction usually. Ie it'll make the top wider an bottom narrower or vice versa.
    Shape....who knows..

What I'd do is get a DVD with geometric test patterns and use it. I'd write down all settings before adjusting anything. Then I'd go in and adjust the things I didn't know about to extremes to view in the realworld how they react.

WRITE IT ALL DOWNA DN DON'T SAVE ANY CHANGES UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU AR ENOT BREAKING THE SET.....

hope this is some use.

Gordon
    .t

3. harvy2020

harvy2020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright Ratmark, I think I was the one who told u how to get into the service menu ;)

I have the same TV, and have tinkered with most of the settings, but I recommend you right down all the values for each one before changing any of them.

As for the ones u mentioned above I have changed all of em and most dont do much.

The Horiz and Vertical ones tend to move the image up and down and left to right.

What i have done is move my image to the right slightly, so now my Playstation 2 image is dead center*, although the Sky Digital picture has moved to the right a bit it is hardly noticable.

So did u finally do the advanced convergence??? I too noticed that the TV was slightly off and the normal convergence settings just wouldnt fix it, but using the service menu convergence, i have a top notch image that is perfectly aligned.

* Some PS2 games have a screen centering option but most dont and for some reason the PS2 image is always to the left leaving a massive black strip on the right, which on a 44inch tv is quite big and annoying.

4. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers thanks for the info and getting me into the service menus
    convergence is now sorted,but im struggling a bit with repect to getting the geom spot on,
    The sky banner (you know the one that appears when you move thro the tv listings) wiill give you an idea of where my problems are,this is at such an angle its about 1/2 a centimeter shorter at the bottom of the box than the top ! does that make sense
    Could i be a bit of a pain and ask you go into your menu and note down all of the settings, from start to finish,and get them to me?
    I'd be greatfull iof you could,
    Anyway what do think of the tv,i used to have a 40in tosh,but moved on to this Thomson,looks imposing in your living room dont it! Any set up tips
    have a good new year
    :D

5. harvy2020

harvy2020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ratmark i dont understand ure question about the Sky banner, which part is bigger??????

The only settings i changed were the Scale Contrast setting, i found the image on general to have way too much contrast and everything is better, i also changed the H-Position as the screen was too much too the Left when using my PS2 this helped correct it.

BTW ratmark can I ask you did u go into the Error Code bit and did u see anything thier like some values etc????????

I have a couple like this................

56 - 00SD3:32
    56 - 00510:00
    56 - 00510:00
    00 - 00000:00
    00 - 00000:00

As for the settings;
    (These are the DEAFULT settings I wrote before I changed anything)

SETUP

OSD Position 80
    PIN ERASE [ ]
    Standard Pan-European
    WSS [x]

EPG/AVLINK [x]

BUS QUIET [ ] *Would like to know what this does
    Ext-Hifi [ ] *Would like to know what this does
    Rest Equ [ ]
    Burn-In Protection [x]

Brand Thompson

GEOMETRY

Sys Voltage 98
    H-Vco 70
    H-Delay 41
    V-Blanking F0
    V-Amplified 52
    V-Position 80
    V-Linearity 60
    H-Position 68
    H-Amplitude 88
    EW-Amplitude 44
    EW-Trapzium 9C
    EW-Shape 00

VIDEO

G2 Alignment When selected i got ; R=27 G=31 b=31

R-Cut Off 64
    G-Cut Off 70
    R-Drive 80
    G-Drive D4
    B-Drive 8C

Scale Brightness 90
    Scale Color 7C
    Scale Contrast 34

Text Setup contrast = 80 gain= 50

6. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky banner,push the select button on sky remote and you get the box at the bottom of the screen with tv prog,date time etc on this was smaller at the bottom than the top,managed to sort it out now,with a combination of ew adjustments and just a little tweaking of the converganece
    did yopu find it easier sitting closer to the tv,when you did convergence
    i have just one more thing to look at skin colours look "pink"
    and white screens show a "cool blue "
    most of my other settings were the same as yours only differences were
    pin erase {x} unable to activate on my tv ,what is this ?
    g alignment r 24 g 2e b31
    could this be causing errors on coloutr as above
    yes i do have an error message 56 00ad 2f
    as i said slowly getting there with the picture etc, and i also had to move the picture on the horizontal because of similar reasons to yourself

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I wouldn't touch G2 if I was you. Setting that wrongly is likely to result in your set wearing out a bit faster than you intend....

The fact that you feel folk look pink, yet the sky looks bluey suggests to me that the colour video decoder in your TV has a thing called red push. Ie it emphasises red's to make the set look nicer in the showroom when the contrast is cranked up and white's are blindingly white(blue).

Some sets have the ability to remove teh red push but I don't see it in your settings.

The CUT off settings adjust colour in dark scenes. The Drive in light scene. They should be adjusted using proper test equipment. Once set correctly you'll have better coluor tracking but still red push giving pinky faces probably. You could try it by eye using 30 ire and 80 ire grey window test boxes as found on AVIA or VIDEO essentials. Each is intercative with the other and they will affect Brightness and Contrast so you'll have to go back and check those. If they have changed then you'll have to go back and do the greyscale again.

Gordon

8. harvy2020

harvy2020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have that Pink/Blue look but if u look in the Picture menu where the color/brighness and contrast settings are ETC thier is a setting for Warm, Cool and Normal maybe that needs setting.

Also Gordon the G2 thing is not adjustable it just gives u a value as far as i can tell.

So mine is the following;

R=27 G=31 b=31

ratmarks is;

g alignment R=24 G=2e B=31

Wouldnt u say that ratmarks values are off from mine and therefore the cause of his problems.