1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geometry issue - horizontal not straight!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JoeyL, Aug 16, 2004.

1. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I have my Sony 32" a few weeks now, and since day one, I have noticed that the geometry appears far from perfect.
    There appears to be a "horizontal bowing" effect towards the top of the screen in particular. The bottom part of the screen appears fine.

To describe it, it looks most noticeable while viewing teletext or, when viewing a letterboxed DVD. In the DVD case, the upper black bar appears to be curved upwards in the middle. In teletext mode, the upper banners/text also appear to curve upwards, almost like a rainbow effect.

I did a search on these forums, and I fear that horizontal imperfections cannot be fixed via the Service menu. Is this the case? If so, I guess I'm stuck.!

Also, is it normal, while viewing a letterboxed DVD, for slight imperfections in the image, in the horizontal lines directly adjacent to the black bars? For example, in a scene with a bright blue sky, the first couple of horizontal lines directly below the black bar do not seem as clear/sharp as the rest of the image....

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    This ought to be improvable (is there such a word) via the service menu; at least it may be possible to offset some of the bow at the top with a slight increase in bow at the bottom - that's often the compromise you end up with. Unfortunately, less than perfect geometry is (and always has been) an artefact of CRTs - and seems to be more true, the larger the screen. It's also unfortunate that, in their ever-increasing attempts to make these things at prices people are prepared to pay, QC standards do begin to drift somewhat.

The only route to virtually guaranteed perfect geometry is via a flat panel.

You may also be able to limit the effect (and the blurring to which you refer) by taking the brightness and/or contrast down to as low a level as you can bear - since picture geometry and focus on consumer TVs is affected to an extent by the brightness of the displayed image.

3. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that Nigel,
    Ya, I'd noticed that by playing around with the brightness/contrast, the effect is reduced somewhat alright. Is the blurring/image distortion at the edges of the black bars a "normal" thing?

It just annoys me that such an expensive piece of kit is not perfect, and is deemed acceptable. Of course my girlfriend thinks I'm mad/seeing things, to her the picture looks perfect! But I know it just isn't right.

I have a 13 yr old 21" Trinitron in the bedroom which has a seemingly flawless picture!

I'm not too keen on messing about with the service menu, unless someone here can point me in the right direction, as to which values to try and change. I looked at the menu alright, and saw things like V-POS, V-SIZE, but I didn't see anything obvious which would allow me adjust horizontal straightness...

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I'd say that (especially with factory pre-settings) over-driving CRTs is quite common. And over-driving them (making them produce more brightness than they are really able to) causes blooming (which manifests as blurring). And I'd also concur with your view that old Sony's seemed to have this attribute limited, which meant that they did produce a nice clean sharp image.

I can't really offer you comprehensive advice about service menu tweaks. The only thing is will say is (and it's bold and in capitals for a reason):

Before you change anything at all WRITE DOWN ALL THE FACTORY PRESET VALUES. It's the only way you can undo anything afterwards.

5. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    JoeyL, that sounds just like the problem on my 32" FQ70, but with mine it's the bottom of the screen that bows upwards towards the middle. Again, it's most noticable on teletext, Sky menus and channels like Sky Sports News.

I tried the service menu settings and couldn't find anything that would make a difference. I've got a Mastercare engineer coming out in two weeks so I'll see what he says. If he can't do anything for it, I'll probably demand a refund from Currys.

On a related issue, if I eventually keep this TV, does anyone know where I can get a Sony RM-938 remote control for a decent price? My set was supplied with the wrong remote (I made them knock £65 off) and I can't access the PIP features.

Also, does anyone know a way of preventing teletext from displaying in wide screen? It makes it very hard to read at that width.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Doomwolf. CPC do replacement remote controls for a huge range of tellys - try them. Trinitron CRT's are not the same as a 'conventional' crts. I hate to say it but they have less inherent geometry problems . It's a different concept because the japanese weren't prepared to pay RCA a royalty payment. (Neither were they prepared to pay Telefunken royalties in the early days of colour tv - that's why they had 'tint/hue' controls - they didn't want to pay Telefunken a royalty for their PAL work and the Sony 'get around' meant you couldn't automatically correct for hue changes due to the transmission chain - so they fitted a manual 'tint/hue' and convinced a goggle-eyed nation that it was a 'nifty feature' worth paying extra for ! - what a laugh. regards, yt.

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Doomwolf (again). Just had a quick look and CPC do not list this remote control (?) have you mis-written it down on your post ? Suggest you ring CPC (on 0772 654455) and quote the exact Sony tv model you have. regards, yt.