Geometery

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by stevegreen, Jul 2, 2002.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I have just moved my Tosh 40" RPTV into another house and the viewing position now has changed slightly to what it was before. I have now started getting picky about the geometery of the set, it was like it before but i never really bothered about it.

The problem is that the right hand side of the screen dips when compared to the left.

Here's the question.

Can i adjust the geometery of the set through the service menu, i.e. accessing the convergence menu, adjusting the green to be level all across the screen and then adjusting the red and blue to match the green or is this a highly complicated and potentially disasterous course of action.

I have adjusted the convergence through the service menu so there is no question of me not understanding that particular part but i don't understand all of the measurement options that are available.

Help appreciated

2. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you alter the position of the set by swivelling it around 90 degrees or so, does the angle of the dip change? This might be caused by the earths magnetic field.
    Sorry I can't help with the main point of your question though.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you just use the tilt or rotation option in the service or user menu (if it has one)?

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I'm not sure if there is one..........

If anyone knows the answer to this one please let me know.

BTW, it's a Toshiba PW4003 rear projection.

Cheers

5. eros

eros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 40pw8db rear projector and have set up the geometry in the past with the service menu. I first reset it to the factory standard settings and to say it was miles out compared to what the service manual measurements state would be an understatement. It is very time consuming just doing it manually without any measuring aid on the screen. What i did was I got a sheet of fablon and drew the grid exactly as per the service manual measurements. I then stuck this to the screen and aligned one of the crt's red I think to this and then removed it and then brought the other two colours into line with. The only problem with my set is you have to do it for each screen mode or let the TV transfer the settings from WIDE which is the mode I chose to setup (anamorphic) If you use auto transfer don't be surprised if the geometry in the other modes is miles out as was the case with my set. I couldn't be arsed making a template for each of the other modes so I just straightened them up as best as I could by using my eyeballs! These modes aren't used to watch DVD very often anyway so I can live with it.

Hope this was of some help.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eros,

I'm amazed you could be arsed to do what you did. It would have been easier to purchase a setup disk.

Gotta admire your patience and persistence though ;)

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    So what part of the service did you actually use to set the geometery, was there a 'tilt' or 'rotate' option in the service menu? If so, where was it?