1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geomagnetic Correction for 32" Picture Frame 3 32ZP48

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hamphlet, Sep 3, 2004.

1. hamphlet

hamphlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

Just got a PF3 & my initial reactions are that it is fine but I can't get my six year old away from it so I can't have a proper fiddle. In the meantime I have noticed a picture tilt & understand that there may be a way of resloving it throught the service menu. Can anyone help?

2. hamphlet

hamphlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here I am responding to myself in the absence of any other help. I got into the service menu but there's nothing in there to adjust geomagnetic tilt. The sequence for getting into the service mode is 'mute' 'mute' 'menu' and the secret here is to press & hold the 'mute' button the second time & while holding it press the menu button on the front of the TV. This is where I was going wrong.

Any road up, I sent an email to Toshiba & they responded that their usual tolerance for this is anything below 5mm, but as mine is approx 1cm I should contact the supplier to have it corrected. So I contacted Empire & they suggested that I needed a new TV. Having waited 6 weeks for the last TV (not PF3) to be fixed I suggested that an engineer might be able to make a simple adjustment. Moreover since the problem is due to geomagnetic pull would another TV not just suffer from the same problem. Surely it's my room that's the problem, not the TV? In the end it was agreed that an engineer will come out. If he is able to fix it on site he will. If it needs taking away then I'll get a new one. Ho hum. :confused:

Can I just say though, I really like this telly. So don't be put off by my experience. Better still, save up for the 36" where this sort of adjustment can be done from the handset.

Cheers

3. Topazali

Topazali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hamphlet,
    ccording to the manual online there is a setting for geomagnetic adjustment in the feature menu but only on the 36" model!

4. hamphlet

hamphlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The engineer arrived today. He has glanced at it & told me that it's not adjustable. He will fill in a report back to the dealer & then I'm in their hands. He told me that he thought the problem was borderline, although I measure the difference as being approx 8mm (with Toshiba's stated tolerance being no more than 5mm). He also told me that if I get another one it may have the same problem, or it may be better or worse. Maybe I'm just a fusspot, I don't know. Anyway I await the dealer's response eagerly. If they offer me another should I upgrade to the 36"? Then I could adjust it myself. :rolleyes:

5. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I wouldn't advise going for a 36" over the 32" unless your lounge is big enough for you to sit a good distance back from the TV. The bigger the screen then any artefacts will be more visible to the eye. I've just taken delivery of my 32" and I'm glad I didn't get the 36" as I only sit about 7ft away from the screen. When watching digital TV there can often be a slight shimmer which is hardly noticeable when you move a little further back.

As regards geometry, this can be a common problem on almost all widescreen TVs. So far I've noticed a slight curve on the right hand side of my ZP48. On Saturday it was quite noticeable but now appears to have settled down and is now only slightly out, mostly noticeable on 4:3 broadcasts, but not enough to complain about.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't laugh but you might be interested in the following suggestion. All tv's will suffer from geomagnetic tilt to some extent - I work with professional monitors for a living and you'd be amazed at how much even some professional monitors can be affected by this effect. A top notch professional monitor will include as part of its construction a metal shroud around the rear of the crt to shield the electron beam from the earths magnetic field. If you're at all interested in pursuing this a little further (and I'm not suggesting it as a permanent cure) try getting a reasonable length of kitchen tin foil and round wrap it around the case enclosing where the crt is inside the case and connect it to a suitable earth point - DONT poke anything inside the set - then switch the tv set on from cold. You might find it reduces the effect. As I say, I'm not suggesting it as a permanent cure for obvious reasons but you might find it helps the problem ? (I have just bought the same model and the pictures on it are superb - I hope you eventually sort it out). regards, yt.

7. hamphlet

hamphlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glenn's right of course. I've already noticed a lot more digital compression artefacts since upgrading from a 28". I remember when digital tv was introduced in the late 90s, the promise was of crystal clear pictures. It makes you laugh when you try to watch a programme with lots of movement in it. Top of the Pops was always a problem. Fast moving cameras, dancing & swirling lights always lead to the picture breaking up into blockiness. I'm far too old for TOTP though so I shouldn't complain really. I expect that a 36" would be fine for DVDs though. Even at my viewing distance of approx 9 feet.

I'm going to pass on Reds suggestion, interesting as it is. Here's me worrying that my mates might come around & point out & scoff at a slight tilt in the picture of my new £1K+ TV, & all you can suggest is wrapping it in foil. Do you think they'll notice? The biggest thing I'll be wrapping in foil this year will be the turkey.

In the meantime I've yet to hear from Empire. Maybe they're leaving it to me to contact them in the hope that I won't bother. I'll give them till next Monday.

Finally I put a B&W DVD on yesterday & noticed that this TV has exactly the same problem as my last 28" Toshiba. There are coloured areas of the screen. It's only really noticeable with B&W movies or murky coloured ones. But to be honest I wonder why we bother spending so much on these TVs. There always seems to be something or other wrong with them. My last but one Tosh had poor geometry. The Hitachi before that went back due to strange patterns only visible in dark movies. I've just seen a 32" Matsui for about £350. OK I know it's a Matsui but it's a third of the price & I wonder if the improvement in picture is really worth all the extra money. Plus, it probably won't have many more problems with it than this one. What bliss it must be to be unconcerned about the quality of your TV picture.

Cheers :suicide:

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I'm sorry you don't want to try my suggestion, I'll repeat again that I only suggested it to see if it helped your problem - I never suggested you kept the foil there permanently ! if its due to the earths magnetic field then if you are still interested in trying to find out what's causing your problem then if you turn the tv set through 90 degrees then the geomagnetic tilt should alter (might get worse - might get better) - it might prove a point and NO I'm not suggesting you leave it permanently turned but it may give you more ammunition with your dealer. I'm interested that you paid over £1K for this tv ? - I paid less than £900 and for a domestic tv it has good convergence, good geometry, good purity - straight out the box. regards, yt.

9. Marine Boy

Marine Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this is the right place to pose my query but here goes. On my 32" JVC crt (1yr old) I get an intermittant electric blue dotted line 1 or 2 pixels wide on the right hand side of the frame when the picture fades to black. This doesn't happen during programmes very often but more when the programme ends/between adverts. This line is unpredictable and rest assured when I try to demonstrate it to somebody it won't perform! Any ideas ? Perhaps I need to upgrade my cables from my Vid/dvd/ntl....