genus vero 2 with epg

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Scoobiesnacks, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  2. Neil294

Neil294

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just got my Vero 2 this week and I like it. The sound quality could be a bit better, but the functions on the unit make up for the slight dullness. As the radio takes SD cards (only up to 512Mb though), it allows you to play back MP3s and record your favourite programmes. The EPG function (where available) gives you the station's programme guide. You can then select a future programme and set the radio to record it onto the SD card. This is quite versatile and gives you options for once-only records, daily, weekly, etc. The onboard memory allows you to treat it like a sky-plus box and automatically stores up to 30 minutes of broadcast. You can therefore pause the broadcast and re-start when you want. Alternatively, if you've missed something, you can rewind the broadcast up to 30 minutes and listen again. There's an alarm function so it can be used as a clock radio too. My only criticism would be that the radio was shipped with stickers across the speakers that don't come off very easily. I've still got some remnants that I can't get off!

3. crowncd

crowncd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks a decent spec for the price. I quite like the Evoke 3 with similar recording facilities but stocks are fairly thin on the ground I believe and it costs £199. It has some good reviews though.
    Could you tell me how much recording time you get with the SD memory card. I wonder why you can only use a 512MB card?

4. Neil294

Neil294

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The user manual says that the maximum memory card capacity is 512Mb. I can only guess that the onboard software has been set to only accept this limit. Hopefully this means that they will be able to produce a patch that can be installed through the USB port and upgrade the memory function. I might email them an ask...

Again, according to the manual, they suggest that 1Mb is roughly equivalent to 1 minute of recording (subject to the broadcaster bit rate), so in theory it currently has a capacity of 512 minutes.

Hope that's helpful. If I get a response from Genus regarding the memory card size then I'll post it here.

Cheers,

Neil

5. Neil294

Neil294

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well that was quick. I fired an email off to Genus and they responded within 15 minutes. They recommend a 512Mb limit to SD cards, but said that they were aware of customers using larger cards without any problems. I then opted to stick in a spare 1Gb card with a few songs on and it worked a treat. Naturally you have to save all of the music files in the root directory so you can't really organise the tracks, but the sound quality is great and you can toggle the display to show the song title/album title/artist, etc.

6. crowncd

crowncd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies Neil. Very good customer service from the manufacturers by the sound of it.
    So, it appears that you may be able to get five half hour programmes onto the 512MB card which isn't bad really. Good though to hear that the larger capacity card seems to work without problem.
    I'm in the market for a decent DAB radio to use in the bedroom with at least two alarm settings - weekday and weekend. Sounds as if this radio may just fit the bill so I'll have to start saving my pennies.
    Hope you get the sticky labels off the speakers!