1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

genuine help needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by blasted, Jun 14, 2004.

1. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just a quick one, has anybody bought a projector without demoing their particular model. Its just that i cant seem to find any places that have the models i want, around the 1100 quid mark. I have read all the reviews and looked at what has been said on here. I dont know whether to take the plunge or not.

I would like a few recommendations though, i am not fussed if its dlp or lcd, the throw distance will be 3.70 meters, it will be a pull down screen, bolted in front of the curtains so the room will be near blacked out, as i said i have around 1100 quid for the projector. It will be placed in a direct line of the screen as well.

ta

2. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lol yeh i bought mine without demoing it, im impatient! :)

hitachi tx100, i havent seen any of the competition at this price, so i cant really offer much of an opinion, i get the impression there all much of a muchness at the £1000 mark, cant really go wrong, ae500,z2,tw100,tx100 and prolly a few dlp models than i havent really looked into ( rainbows bother me).

3. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Its good to see that i am not the only one who is considering buying without trying. :smashin:

I have looked at other projectors and love the images. I am just trying to narrow down to which one i get. As you say the main contenders are the panasonic ae500, the sanyo z2 the sony h3, there are a few cheaper ones around but i have seen a few deals involving free screens, so that maight sway it.

Free free to give me suggestions on stuff lads and lasses

oh another thing what size screen do i need at 3.7 meter throw?

ta again

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If you haven’t had a projector before than pretty much any PJ will give the drop jaw wow factor for image size so you could purchase any. The models listed are all good PJs for the money with the Sony H3 trailing slightly IMHO. All three PJs have been around long enough for their peculiarities to be known. You can safely go and buy any of them without a demo and be happy with your purchase.

:thumbsup:

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Agreed. Get a demo if you can, but a good read around these forums and an open mind should be a reasonable substitute for a demo as long as you're not spending thousands of pounds.

I bought my Z1 (over a year ago now... blimey how time flies) without a demo, and I was very happy with its performance. Not so happy with the effect a home-cinema / game room had on me and my partner's relationship, but that's another story ;)

6. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Check out the Themescene H30

7. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aggreed the H30 is blinding. I live in london so if you are in the area give projectorpoint a call, cool demo room and I got to see it on the same day with and appointment, was so impressed bought it there and then!

8. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for that,

I am interested in the themescene h30, its got a fair bit written about it in one of the threads, it sounds good. Mind you it would not be the first thing i have taken with out a demo.

I am curious though and this may sound stupid. But say i bought a 6 or 7 foot screen, a pull down one that is. Will the image i project only be a certain size when in focus or can i adjust the image size and then focus it, that is so i can fill the screen area?

also if i bought an av amp, can i plug my sky, dvd player and xbox into the amp and use that to switch inputs? also to play films off the computer through the pj would that be plugged into the amp or the pj?

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Trouble with the H30 is that with it being DLP based, purchasing without a demo (which is the point of this thread) could be an expensive mistake. Slight imperfections and oddities are liveable with but a piece of kit that may cause headaches and/or nausea really should have a demo.

10. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Good point, i know some laughof the rainbow effect but i will have to go and check it out.

Just been looking at screen calculators, i can go from just under 6 foot to just over 7 foot with my throw distance of about 3.6 to 3.7 meters.

Which would be the better size screen? a six foot or the seven foot?

11. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The rule is an image width of half the distance to the sitting position so a 6ft screen is the one to go for at your measurments. I would actually prefer my image width to be a little smaller at around 5.1/2 ft but thats me. I like a tighter image and less eyball rolling when watching a movie. The smaller image also helps with the percieved brightness of the image as your PJs lumins are spread over less square inches. :)

12. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rainbow affects people in different ways. I'm quite prone to it but haven't noticed it on the H30. Get a demo to see if you are bothered by it. LCD'ers generally humbug about this effect but from a scientific standpoint it only effects 1 in 10 people!

Any how as regards to screens, purchase the projector and see what size of image you are happy with. Then see how closely you can match that size with a screen afterwards.

six foot or seven foot would largely be a matter of personal preference.

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed. I can see rainbows on my Panny PW6 plasma :eek:

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    If you are going for dlp then personally i would demo, i did demo a dlp because i had read about rainbows and i got some sort of eye strain which put me off. I got a Z2 instead without demoing and i really like it.

With the newer dlps coming out though with faster colour wheels etc i will demo again as i really want to go dlp by the end of this year/early next year.

15. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hi Kramer are you serious or am I just gullible?

Hi blasted, I bought the H30 unseen but I did own a DLP projector previously which had a much slower colour wheel than the H30 so I was pretty sure I wouldn't have a problem with DLP.

The H30 is a superb projector for the money, you really need to try and demo it against the other contenders within the same price range.
    I think you may be pleasantly surprised with how it compares, even with those of higher resolution.

Regards, MikeD

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I'm serious. Ocassional rainbowing clearly visible (to me at least) during high contrast scenes. I know many will argue that it's not possible with plasma but I am very susceptible & one of the few that can clearly see rainbows on plasma.

Not really an issue though.

This is why I always recommend a demo before a DLP purchase, especially for a first time PJ buyer.

:smoke:

18. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Judging by the general concensus, i will have to try and find a demo.

Anybody know the closest place to derby/nottingham that has an h30?

I have been to look at other projectors but i cant remeber what sort it was i looked at, the ones i did see, i did not see any rainbows.

the problem is now, I am going to be looking specifically for rainbows.

I think i may go the 6 foot way on screens, i have been to cinemas and sat up front with large screens and its a pain trying to take in the whole image.

Thanks for the replies

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best of luck with the demos & new PJ ;)

20. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    This could be the start of somthing very expensive :suicide:

21. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

22. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I have a demo of a h30 tomorrow at seven oaks in nottingham, i ended up ringing the company and asking for stockists in the local area.

I am also going to be trying a few amps. I will see if he has any b+w 601 s3's to connect up as that is what i allready have and am looking at buying the other speakers in that range (rears,sub,centre)

I might even push it and see if he has a rotel rcd 02 as thats the cd player i have.

I dont like the idea of splitting my stereo but will an av amp be good enough, without having to break the bank. I am using a rotel ra 01 amp at present and if i flog it i can put the cash to the b+w set up.

Any amps to recommend, around the 400 quid mark?

Thanks again chaps

also do i need to know anything special when demoing a pj?

23. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    went to the demo today and all i can say is the h30 is excellent, i shall be getting one. The picture was brilliant and i had no problems with rainbows. I even took a couple of films of my own. :thumbsup:

The guy was very helpful, he had the speakers and cd player set up for me as well. :smashin:

Right i best get some cash together, where is this going to end :eek:

24. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Congrats blasted the H30 really is very very good for the money isn't it, did you manage to do any comparisons with any other projectors while you were there?

Regards, MikeD