Gentlemen. Help re Aspect Ratio Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by greatestboss, Jan 2, 2012.

1. greatestboss

greatestboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Appreciate your response on my Inquiry.

First, hardware: Panny VT30 65" & Panny 3D Blu- Player 110 and 7.1 System
    Question: Planning to buy the Green Mile Blu-ray soon and its available with two aspect ratios 1.85:1 and a soon to be released 1.77:1.

Which one to buy and what will I see on my VT30 + the difference.

Many thanks to the best forum members in Universe:lease:

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    Your TV is the same aspect ratio as most TV's these days , its 16:9 ( and 16/9 = 1.77)

So , on the 1.77 version you will have no black bars on your TV , on the other one , you will.

Having black bars is better than distorting the picture so that you dont have them , other than that , no difference.

3. greatestboss

greatestboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my Q,

So you mean that the 1.77 will distort the picture therefore I should go for the 1.85. But if my TV native aspect is 1.77 and the Blu-ray is 1.77, then it might seem as the better option unless the Studio new release of 1.77 crops the original 1.85 original release.

Really confusing matter, So many different aspect ratios on DVD's/Blu-Rays to choose from.

Again thanks

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    No. Neither will distort the picture if that's the aspect ratio's they are presented in. Distorting the picture means to take a film in an aspect ratio and stretch it one way or another to fill a screen.

You go on to say exactly what I was going to address - the 1.77 version may be a crop of the 1.85 (I'd say it is highly likely to be so)

To be fair tho, 1.85 has such minimal black bars top and bottom, it's really not a big deal (IMO) I've plenty of 1.85 films, and on a 50" TV you're talking about slightly under a centimetre of black bar at the top, and same at the bottom

And I agree on your last point - I wish they'd just stick to the main two (since 4:3 is more or less dead now); 1.85 and 2.35

5. greatestboss

greatestboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, so the recommendation is to go with the 1.85.

1- I wonder why would studios release 1.85 and 1.77 versions if the difference is minimal, probably to address the psychological factors of some.

2- In order to help me clarify things once and for all, What are the aspect ratios that I should be looking at when I order Blu-rays. Should I stick to 1.77 and 1.85 in the case of new filmed movies.
    Of course all the classic oldies will be 4:3 and I'd like to maintain their original ratio for example I bought Laurel & Hardy in 1.33:1 and I think its the right decision made.

3- For Example Braveheart, Gladiator are both available in 1.85 & 2.35:1. Any difference here and if yes, What?

Many Thanks

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    As I understand it, in most cases the 2.35 a/r is usually the original filmed version. Then it's cropped for 1.85, 1.77, or 4:3.

This isn't aways the case tho - years ago Top Gun was released as a special edition (DVD) with a 2.35 a/r. Compared to the 1.85 DVD, the width was exactly the same, but the top and bottom of the picture was cropped to show black bars! Ludicrous! They actually put black bars over the top of the picture, resulting in the loss of tops of heads in some scenes! (And, IIRC, Top Gun was always designed to be presented in 1.85, since most of the footage from the jets (IMAX I think?) was all recorded in 1.85, so the acting scenes were set up in such a way as to work for a 1.85 screen)

In regard as to which to get - why not get both? Compare them side by side and see if you can spot a difference? Whichever you don't like, take back. Or sell on

7. greatestboss

greatestboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, I'll try to do that but I doubt they'll take it back. night be able to sell it.
    The problem is that its not always possible to find the aspect ratio the film was shot in and not all Blu-rays on Amazon show the aspect ratio of the disc.

8. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,452