Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Genius CD/DAB player or pure or roberts?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by carnelian, Sep 25, 2005.

1. carnelian

carnelian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am upgrading the lot with little no help from customer services so ask the members for their views on DAB radios.

I found the Genuis DAB/CD combo player which looks great in terms of funcationality but it doesnt get the marketing spend of the big players - any reviews or views on quality? The CD included is dead handy though.

The boxes to tick before the above were - pause/rewind, FM, batteries and mains. So if the Genius is low spec can anyone answer the below:

1. Is there any difference in sound and function between elan and sonic ranges by pure or is it just styling
    2. Which delivers the best sound - roberts or pure

Thanks

A

2. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Are you actually aware that DAB sounds far worse than FM?

3. carnelian

carnelian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you actually aware that DAB sounds far worse than FM?

I am aware from the postings here but where I live cannot pick up a good FM signal but can pick up DAB - and it is good to hear Virgin radio again!

4. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The audio quality of digital radio is significantly better via Freeview, digital satellite or cable, so you'd be better getting one of those instead of DAB.

Virgin is available on satellite at 192kbps, which is higher than it uses on DAB.

Also, if you've got broadband you can stream Virgin at decent bit rates via the net, such as their Ogg stream, which if I remember correctly uses 160kbps, and because Ogg is a far superior codec to MP2 it will sound miles better than DAB.

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I would unreservedly reccomend Pure over Roberts, having experienced units from both makers. Make sure that you get the latest XT version. :smashin:

6. sennasound

sennasound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: My advice would be PURE every time; we have 3 evokes and all aspects are superior to Roberts in my opinion. I tried a Gemini and it lasted 6 hrs before I had to take it back - Display great size (rolling text etc) but no contrast; sound poor not PURE!! Each time the Evoke wins hands down - next purchase is an Arcam Solo running through Quad IIL's via Loewe Xelos A32 - DAB full on!! Dem both but PURE has it for me every time - reception also fantastic and consistent....(TalkSport rules!!)

7. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DAB full on?

I think you need a quick lesson in digital radio:

The audio quality of a digital radio station is dependent on its bit rate and the audio codec it uses. DAB, Freeview, digital satellite and cable all use the MP2 audio codec (MPEG Audio Layer 2), so the system that has the highest audio quality is the one where the radio stations use the highest bit rates. Unfortunately for you, the bit rates on DAB are the lowest out of all of the platforms, and therefore the audio quality is also the lowest. Expensive equipment can do nothing to improve the audio quality of broadcasts that were damaged prior to transmission, therefore you should avoid buying DAB is you want good audio quality.

Of the digital platforms, the highest bit rates are on digital satellite, then cable and Freeview.

All the BBC radio stations on DAB use lower bit rates on DAB than they do on the digital TV platforms apart from Radio 3, and Radio 3's bit rate is reduced whenever Radio 5 Sports Extra is on air in the daytime.

Radio 1, Radio 2, 6 Music and 1Xtra all use 128kbps, which provides low audio quality. The same stations on the digital TV platforms use 192kbps, 192kbps, 160kbps and 160kbps. To compare, the bit rates used by the BBC TV channels for their audio is 256kbps.

BBC7 is mono on DAB but stereo on the digital TV platforms.

Radio 4 is reduced to mono in the evening whenever Radio 5 Sports Extra is on air.

Digital satellite is the best digital platform for digital radio, because the bit rates of both the BBC and commercial radio stations are higher than on DAB and there are about 85 radio stations, which is more than you can get in any one place on DAB.

From next year when the MyBBCPlayer is launched, if you're on one of the ISPs that support the higher bit rates streams, the audio quality of the BBC radio stations via the Internet will wipe the floor with the audio quality via DAB.

All DAB tuners -- even the cheap ones -- are a waste of money, and spending more money on a tuner will make so little difference to the audio quality it really is a complete waste of money when you can spend less and get better audio quality via Freeview or digital satellite.

8. sennasound

sennasound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No argument on bit rates but Radio 3 aint half bad....put DAB into context and it works....I don't think anyone is pretending it has no flaws but that misses the point that it has achieved many of its objectives....do me a favour...list out its strengths and take a deep breath...call it therapy...

PS...Are you a Schumi/Ferrari fan by any chance!!

Take it easy....

9. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    There was a discussion on the PM programme on Radio 4 yesterday about the quality of DAB. The main criticism that people have is the 'burble' as the signal breaks up. Neither of the two 'experts' interviewed really had a bad word to say about the system. The opinion was that quality would get better as more transmitters came into being. The industry spokesman just plugged that there were more stations to listen to. There was no mention of poor quality, even on a good signal, or the lack of stereo on most stations. If more money is pumped into this, presumably backed by advertising revenue from commercial stations, all we can expect is a worse service. Sadly the public want quantity over quality. Let's hope FM does not disappear.

10. sennasound

sennasound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Radio 3 sounds better on FM than on DAB, and Radio 3's audio quality is reduced whenever Radio 5 Sports Extra is on air before 5 pm, which is quite a lot of the time, whereas the bit rate is not reduced on the digital TV platforms.

Although you're clearly being patronising, I'll do it anyway:

Strengths:

* Sounds better than MW - big deal. And the digital TV platforms provide higher audio quality

* Provides greater choice than on analogue - despite the larger number of radio stations there is nothing I like that is on DAB that I can't get on FM with the exception of 2 shows, but the audio quality is crap, so I don't listen to them. And digital satellite provides far more stations than you get on DAB.

* those with poor FM reception might get better DAB reception - people would still be better off using the digital TV platforms.

But its major weakness is that the audio quality is significantly worse than on FM, and that applies across the board, and that cancels out all of its strengths, as far as I'm concerned, especially when you can get better audio quality on the digital TV platforms.

My opinion is that motor racing is to sport as DAB is to audio quality...

12. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The fact that they got Barry Fox (who has already gone on record as supporting the way DAB has been implemented in the UK) as the other "debater" pretty much sums up the way the BBC has handled the issue of audio quality, i.e. quash all possibility of criticism of the audio quality.

The thing that a lot of people won't have known is that Barry Fox doesn't have a technical background, and Simon Nelson's background is in marketing. The audience will no doubt think that both are technical experts on the subject, and nothing could be further from the truth.

13. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes. And the BBC will be releasing live streams of all their network radio stations (the ones on their national DAB multiplex) using higher bit rates next year, and the audio quality will be far better than you get on DAB.

Anyway, assuming you have broadband, you can try internet radio on:

www.shoutcast.com

Go to whichever genre you want to listen to, then click on bit rate to sort the stations in that genre from highest to lowest bit rate, and listen to a few until you hear one you like the sound of. They're not all good quality, but there's loads that have a far better audio quality than you get on DAB.