Genie Speaker Cable

S

Santy

All

Have Denon AV-3805 & Genies sat is spare room waiting for customer install.

I was planning to use Silver Anniversary cable from QED with these, anyone reommend anything better (Budget sensible please).

Thought QED cable at 5.5 per M not too bad and heard good things about it, can you recommend best place to buy about 35-40M of this from please?

Thanks all,

Santy

I think you can get it from HiFiBitz for about £5 per metre...

Look around for a good price but is a very fine cable for the job.

I bought a Yamaha AX750SE and a set of Genie speakers about a month ago and I am extreemly impressed by them in film and music set ups.However I am now starting to wonder whether the cable I have got is up to scratch or if they could be even better.

I researched the amp and speakers a reasonable amount and read all the advice about getting good cable, but I didnt have any particular cable in mind so I went for what the shop recommended. As I got the cable free I am now wondering whether they recommended it beacuse it was cheaper or whether it was good.

They sold me the QED micro cable and I am wondering if the Silver aniversary might have been a better bet. Would this make enough of a difference to justify ripping my carpet up again and having the hastle of laying some more cable?

Rob- you might want to look at changing the fronts (which I assume have a shorter run) and seeing if it makes a worthwhile improvement before changing the lot.
Ed

Hi Santy,

I know I go on about this but look in the cable forums for simple twin & earth electrical cables or (slightly more work and better quality) Cat 5 cable.
For 40 metres of cable @ £5 a metre i'd certainly want to keep my options open!
HTH

RobRoe

My mate changed std (free) cable with Silver Anniversary and the difference amazed me...

I may be wrong but I think the cable is almost as important as the kit you buy. All of the new Banana Plug terminators etc., that are supposed to get rid of ALL oxygen are (in my humbled opinion) a bit over the top for a home install, but I could be wrong.

Top cable however is a must, trust me.

Really lloking forward to getting it all installed now (Also bought a P7 - Merry Christmas to me!)...

Just waiting for the unreliable install guys now... :(

ask a stupid question - I know that the length for the front and and rear speakers need to be the same length.

Does the centre cable need to be the same length as the front surround ??

Cheers

Raj

Just another vote for cat5 or twin and earth route, I'm still yet to see anyone who has compared these to stuff like silver anni who prefers the "proper" speaker cable. Its worth a look and could definitely save you a LOT of money.

Owain

rajvirdee,

As you can probably tell from my previous posts I am somewhat of a newbie... but I don't think the length of the speaker cables to any of the speakers is particularly important in a home cinema system as the amp can generally adjust the time delays to each speaker so that they are all in sync.

Some amps have an auto program to do this and some you have to set up manually.

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my previous posts, I think I shall try upgrading my front and center speakers for something better either silver anni or "proper" speaker cable depending on what people think.

Rob

I've got differing lengths of cable to my fronts, rears and centre and I've never heard a problem, I would think that the cables would have to be VERY long to give an audible difference in the timing of sound effects. Whether the different lengths may have some effect on the resistance, etc of the cables I'm not sure but I have never worried much about it.

When people like me say "proper" speaker cable we are referring to stuff like QED SA, it's just a bit of irony because one of the things people often come out with when arguing against stuff like cat5 or mains flex is "how can it be as good as "proper" speaker cable, it only costs 20p a metre". This is a very costly mistake: as I said before I have never heard of any one who has done an AB comparison of these cheaper methods and come out in favour of stuff like QED, gale, cable talk etc.

The best advice is to give it a go. My experience went along the lines of: try T+E next to my gale 315 strand biwire, hear no discernable difference. become encouraged by this, try a couple of metres of cat5, be blown away by the difference, make the cables up properly. I would recommend this path to any one, if you find a big difference between your existing cable and a couple of metres of T+E then stick with what you've got, it'll only cost you a quid or so to try it.

HTH
Owain

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom