Genie Problem? Amp cutting out

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by veedubba, Mar 12, 2006.

1. veedubba

veedubba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hooked up my genies, new cable included to a Yamaha amp and it now keeps cutting out and an error of speaker cables is displayed. I cant see any problems with the cable that could cause this error message. Could it be the genies and what would be the best way of finding out. Only does this with DVD's and not TV could volume be a factor.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

2. veedubba

veedubba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone please help

3. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    As you have already checked the cabling I would agree that you may have a problem with one of the Genies. The reason you only have problems listening via DVD could be due to the volume level - another reason could be that via TV you do not fully utilise the surround and centre speakers.

If you can get a multi meter measure the impedance of all your speaker. Disconnecting the cable from the amp and measuring the impedance including the cable.

You could also disconnect one speaker at a time from the amp and see if you can reproduce the fault. With luck you will find that with one of the speakers disconnected you will not have any problems. As you do not have a problem with TV source I would try disconnecting the surround speakers first.

4. TiSwAs

TiSwAs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    i was told today by the local Practical Hi-Fi that there is a problem with the and MS are aware, apparently the fuse rating in the back of the sub is too low.... i'm going to contact MS and find out what rating they recomend, the original was a 1.6amp, i've tried a 2.0 and that blew aswell...

This was the first time i was setting them up this morning.... bloody frustrating as i wanted to watch some moives tonight :(

5. TiSwAs

TiSwAs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20