1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie experiences please?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adrianl, Dec 30, 2004.

1. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am looking to set up av receiver/5.1 speakers from scratch (only had stereo before) and am fascinated by the Genies which have had good reviews in press for both movies and music (both important to me), claim to embody most recent MS technology/know-how, and look smart.

I know buyers will always look kindly on their choices but any reports on your experiences with Genies for both cinema and music, and which amp you're driving them with, gratefully received.

Thanks.

Adrian

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    I'll get the ball rolling but I don't count as a proper owner so I'll leave that to others.
    They are connected to my Pioneer AX3 and I have five currently with another pair being scavenged when the review systems come back. Rears are wall mounted, fronts on stands, centre on telly. I have also retained my MS909 because I couldn't bring myself to part with it.
    My previous system was altogether bigger and featured THX spec rears among other things but to no one's greater suprise than my own, the difference in outright performance is negligable and the aesthetics are in a different league.
    A great many owners will have suffered their subwoofer fuse blowing and this may (understandably) cloud their judgement over the system but given that either myself or my colleagues at MS can send a fuse out if required and all new genies have the correct fuse in place, I would hope a listen would give weight to the reviews.

3. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the Genies for about a month now, rest of my equipment is in the sig. I demo'd the Genies, Kef 2005, Jm Labs, M&K whilst on my quest for speakers.

Unlike most people i wasn't entirley sure on the design and worried how they would look in my room but at the end of the day it was second consideration to the sound.
    The M&K were fantastic but i couldnt justify the price difference between them and the Genies. I didnt consider the M&K as an option to begin with, it was just the salesman giving me a reference point and trying to get me to buy them i guess :nono:
    The Kefs were also great but the center speaker sometimes felt a little lost with a dry tonal balance, i also found the depth of the Genies sub superior to the Kef. I did however prefer the smaller size of the Kef sub.
    The JM Labs were also a good speaker, nice design and finish but not upto the sound quality produced by the Genies.

I love these Genies, i needent have worried about the looks as they look great in my new room (can post pics if you wish) and the sound quality is fantastic, higly detailed at both low and high volumes which is very important. I would have no hesitation in recomending them to anyone.

4. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for a really helpful comparison!

Adrian

5. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have had my genies now for about a month now, centre speaker is wall mounted and sats are all on genie stands. They sound excellent for home cinema, with the addition of great sound for music as well which i belive the kef's had lacked on whilst demoing them. I have these connected to the denon 3805 and both are great, especailly when using the differenent surround modes.

you will be pleased, i had a few issues at first, but now everything seems to be allright.