1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genesis to reform?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Dec 29, 2002.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The return of the Giant Hogweeds........Rumour has it than Genesis are to reform, Phil Collins is happy to participate if its all organised for him. They are keen to perform new material, as they feel that just ploughing out the old stuff will not be acceptable to modern fans.

I, for one would be happy to go and see them, just for old times sake..........Gabriel back on vocals......no cant hurry love crap...................get em out by Friday.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would find it quite acceptable to see Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Chester Thomson, Steve Hackett and whoever.
    New material may be interesting, but I hope they don't repeat 1974 when they played the whole of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway cold to everyone except the band.
    I'm happy if they play all the old songs for three hours with state of the art sound / lighting.

( JOHN PEBBLE OF STYX ENTERPRISES )

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'm bored to death with Phil Collins. The others are cool.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    couldnt agree more, hes best sat behind the drums, let gabriel do the singing.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on his yacht, away from everyone ;) :p

6. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't believe we're all in agreement on the fact that Phil Collins sucks. Why don't we fill his drum kit with gun powder a la Keith Moon? I've all ways found him mediocre, if not boring. Seems a good enough reason to blow him up.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, just one problem Gambit. I have all his solo CDs up to that one with Another Day In Paradise On It. His stuff was good until that point (although I regret that last CD now) :blush:

8. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, then you're off the board on the blow-up-Phil-Collins plot. Just me an Karkus. Unless he owns some of his ****e too and I have to go it alone, which I will.

9. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well IMO bands are just not the same when they reform and then I'm sure that the people who liked them in the first place wish that they hadn't because their memories of a once great band are then spoilt.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well of course they won't be the same, I'm gonna blow their drummer up. Often hampers a bands performance, an exploding drummer, don't you know. Except for The Who, who are an obvious exception.

11. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well good luck. Just make sure you save his head to hang at the city gates :D

12. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wise words- all must know his reign of boredom has ended!

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's not true. Most of the Genesis fans here were too young to have seen them live first time around and would probably prefer to see them them perform the songs they know.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, who are Genesis kidding thinking that they're going to get a new fanbase from new material? Can you really see today's single-buying teenieboppers going for some pension-drawing dudes? If anything, people will go for the old stuff simply because it's well known and therefore acceptable. Anything new will be ignored by the TOTP lot and seen as uncool.

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    With the exception of Peter Gabriel, the rest of them don't have it in them to come up with decent new material anyway. And if it's left to PG to pen new songs then he may as well just employ the rest of them as a backing band for a Peter Gabriel tour. Which would be pointless. Any new material they could come up with would just be cardigan and slippers middle of the road "dad" music, and have very little in common with the imaginitive, cutting edge stuff they banged out as Genesis first time round when they were at the forefront of a musical movement rather than being a bunch of old men who quite fancy trying to recapture a bit of the former glory of their youth.
    Whatever happens, Phil Collins will kill the whole thing off with the fact that everything he touches these days turns into a load of boring old guff that all sounds the same. He seems to suck the life and soul out of any musical project he's involved with.

Stick to a greatest hits package, leave Phil at home tied up in the wardrobe, do a string of stadium gigs, collect the paycheck and retire quietly.

16. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    turn my back for a few hours and its almost turned into an REM thread:D

Do I own any PC albums ? Im really not sure, had a quick check of my CDs............none there, but I have a sneaking suspiscion theres his first solo album on vinyl kicking around somewhere:eek: obviously if I do find the offending item, I will dispose of it immediately.

Should we blow him up? Well thats a bit of a room 101 question, if it was purely because of his music then, I would have to vote No.
    But, there are other reasons.
    'Fat wallet Phil' was rumoured to be an investor in the forestry business and was supposedly making money out of the fast growing conifers that have ruined large tracts of the Scottish highlands, while, simultaneously carping on about the demise of the rainforests. This hypocracy, would be reason enough to get involved in Captain 'Guy Fawkes' Gambits plot Bwahh ha ha.

On a slight thread deviation, just seen one of the Sunday magazines, inside is a picture of a bomb blast. Bang (no pun intenteded) in the centre of the picture is the head of the suicide bomber, upright on the ground, just like the scene in Alien, I couldnt stop looking at it, surreal.

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a scanner? Scan it. I wanna see that!!

18. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    SG, your definitely asking daft questions now, surely you mean Scanners the film.........otherwise, I would assume you were talking about some sort of techno wizardry, that I am as yet without, though I do have a printer, which makes a rather nice table decoration;)

Im popping round to my mates house soon, he has the picture, I will find out name and date of the magazine for now. Then see if I can get it scanned later this week.

19. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes, I forgot you live with technology from decades previous ;) :p

That'd be fab mate :D

20. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That reminds me, we might as well blow up the Coral too, scouse pirates that they are. Ha ha ha ha ha:devil:

21. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    hoist up the main sail and set the jib................arghhh somebody shhtop me.

22. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,222
    Brand new 90 min doc, Genesis: Together and Apart, airs on BBC2 next Saturday (4th Oct) at 9.15pm

23. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Looking forward to this - Thanks for posting !

24. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,222
    Good doc. A pity Ant wasn't in the founding members' photo shoot. Conveniently overlooked Ray Wilson/Calling All Stations :)

25. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Gabriel comes across as fairly keen to do a reunion, and Collins and Rutherfod, also seem up for it. The problem seems to lie with Hackett. Going on past comments, Banks has said something (after Hackett announced he was leaving Genesis) that Hackett isn't going to forgive in a hurry, and Banks still hasn't forgiven Hackett for leaving in the first place!

26. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    Well, Hackett has his own Genesis Revisited show, and both Rutherford and Gabriel have their own careers. Not sure what Banks and Collins are up to now... But I doubt Collins would be up to playing drums for a whole show.
    BTW, I haven't seen the documentary yet; maybe some of these questions are answered in that.
    Phil

27. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,222
  28. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,222
    Steve Hackett - My thanks for all the messages of support... | Facebook

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  29. travid

travid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    It was a poor documentary.

Ignored Steve Hacketts vast solo career and Banks churlish attitude shone through. What a grumpy git he was/Is. There was a palpable residue from PG's determination regarding The Lamb, which, despite their friendship, still seemed to annoy Banks.

Did the albums Wind and Wuthering and CAS ever exist ( Apart from a snippit from Your own special way) ?
    Along with John Silver, Bill Bruford and Ray Wilson, these were ommited.

I do reserve my real annoyance for Steve Hacketts influence and contribution to Genesis being minimised. Banks once said that he was mixed out of Seconds out, when he left the band. He seemed to suggest that this was meant as a joke, at the time, but I think that that may not be quite true.

A reunion? Nope, don't think so.

30. Phil-YAI

Phil-YAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I thought it was a missed opportunity, which I hope will be partially re-dressed by the extended commercial release "Sum Of The Parts" which will add an extra 30 minutes of additional interviews.

As travid said, there was no mention of Wind & Wuthering or Calling All Stations and Steve Hackett gets virtually no screen time, or reference to any of his solo work.

There was also no mention of the 1982 Milton Keynes reunion and I didn't see the relevance of having people such as Kate Mossman and Al Murray talk about the band - I would have much preferred to have had people who were closer to the band or better still just have more air time with interviews from the band members.

I've watched the 1990 documentary "Genesis - A History", which while not perfect, seems to give a better account of the band and also has some great archive footage.