Generic OBD2 fault code reader

garryboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a mk5 golf tdi. I have an intermittent ABS light that comes on only whilst zooming down the motorway.

I'm looking for a OBD code reader that will read all modules.

I'm looking to spend roughly the cost of what a diagnostic would cost.

I have an old KkL obd 2 which i can use with VCDS but it only reads the main ECU. I have looked at newer obd cables for VCDS but then il be limited to the VAG range.

So I'm looking at getting a reader I can use on a variety of modern cars including my Honda CRV.

Any recommendations on what I can purchase. Not looking to spend any more than £100.

Cheers
Garry

Obd2 bluetooth dongle v1.5 from ebay, £5.
DTC Fault Memory erase for Vag android app, Free.

For some reason v2.1 dongle didnt work on my friends A5 but the v1.5 does.

Obd2 bluetooth dongle v1.5 from ebay, £5.
DTC Fault Memory erase for Vag android app, Free.

For some reason v2.1 dongle didnt work on my friends A5 but the v1.5 does.

Did that allow access to all modules like ABS?

I actually have a v1.5 elm 327 but only reads the main ECU

I have tried several up to £30 OBD2 readers from Ebay and Amazon and none of them read the fault causing error code picked up by my local garage in a Renault Megane, so I'd be dubious buying one unless you know it's all singing and dancing. I had a CRV but as it didn't have any faults I don't know how good they were with that.

Did that allow access to all modules like ABS?

I actually have a v1.5 elm 327 but only reads the main ECU

With that app it read every ecu module in my dads 2005 octavia including the parking sensor module.

It's a 2007 golf. It has CAN gateway.

Il do some reading. For £40 I can get a cable from eBay that I can use with VCDS but that will limit to VAG range only.

Still cheaper than paying for diagnostic though.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
i have one of these that i used to diagnose an ABS problem on my daughters VW polo and it did the job without any drama

Vgate Scan VS450 VW Audi Seat Skoda Fault Code Reader Scanner Engine ABS AIR BAG | eBay

Looks like a good buy.

I ended up buying a cloned rosstech hex-can VCDS 17.1 cable to use on my laptop.

Was £40 delivered.

Very powerful piece of kit.

Anyhow I have a problem with rear right abs sensor. Giving an intermittent signal.

2 possible causes sensor failure or corroded pick up teeth which are attached to the hub.

Reading up seems to be the corrosion of the pick up ring is the likely issue.

So new hub required.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Looks like a good buy.

I ended up buying a cloned rosstech hex-can VCDS 17.1 cable to use on my laptop.

Was £40 delivered.

Very powerful piece of kit.

Anyhow I have a problem with rear right abs sensor. Giving an intermittent signal.

2 possible causes sensor failure or corroded pick up teeth which are attached to the hub.

Reading up seems to be the corrosion of the pick up ring is the likely issue.

So new hub required.
Hiya you have a link to the cable purchase? cheers

Bought it from guy from gumtree. I can pm you his mobile number. Sent it 1st class recorded.

Bought it from guy from gumtree. I can pm you his mobile number. Sent it 1st class recorded.
Have to be careful with these as once updated you can pickle them .... Possibly giving issues to ECUs also.

Also the 'cloned' cables won't be a subject to discuss here as they're technically copyright infringement :/

Have to be careful with these as once updated you can pickle them .... Possibly giving issues to ECUs also.

Also the 'cloned' cables won't be a subject to discuss here as they're technically copyright infringement :/

Fair enough.

Consider this topic closed.

Get an Obdeleven. Cheaper than the cloned vcds and legal. Can do 99% of what vcds can. Voltas IT, LCC

That looks good

Don't have an android phone though but could pick up a cheap 2nd hand phone or tablet to use.

Bit late now though lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom