1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generations Spec Ed

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dsw182, Jun 19, 2004.

1. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Digital Bits is reporting the details for the upcoming Special Edition DVD of Star Trek Generations. The release appears to be September 7th. They also have a shot of the R1 cover.
    [​IMG]

Most of the usual Star Trek features, except the possible inclusion of a DTS track. (untrue?)

Trek Today are also reporting that a number of deleted scenes are to be included, as well as an alternate ending - presumably the different death of Kirk scene.

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    I wonder if they will put the Geordie Torture scene back into the film as I remember seeing it in the cinema but it is missing from the VHS and DVD release. They still mention the nanoprobes in the film but without the torture scene you dont actually know how and when they were used.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Saw this film twice in the cinema on release. the torture scene was not in the uk release of the film. as far as I know it was cut for running time as was the sky diving sequence and part of the nexus scene with patrick stewart and his "family"

The other ending, I think, was one where kirk got shot in the back by soran . Aparently it did not go down very well in test screenings so the other one was put in instead.
    An addlib by william shatner was also taken out of the film this was when we first see him crushed by the railings from the mountain."bridge on the captain" was deemed not quite in with the mood the film makers were looking for!!!

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    If it was not in the theatrical release I dont understand how I remembered seeing it and knowing what happened as I clearly remember Soran mentioning the Borg and the nanoprobe he put in Geordie which could stop his heart. I knew this along time ago and back then I didnt have the internet so I couldnt have looked up about the deleted scenes so maybe a few reels got sent out to cinemas with the wrong cut of the film on them?

5. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he's referring to the uk release on VHS and DVD, not the theatrical job.

I also remember the torture scene when I saw the film at UCI in Derby back in the mid 90's.

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Right guys
    I know I am right about this.
    Soran talks to geordi and mentions about the probe but there is an actual torture scene missing check this out for proof!

generations delted and cut scenes

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Sorry guys. the link I posted will get you to trekweb but not the story for some reason..
    The post on trekweb is evoulution of startrek generations and looks at the work print and final version of the film. I will see if I can get the blooming link to work! :D

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Right.
    best way to find the information and proof of what I am saying.

Do a search on google for.

star trek generations cut scenes.

Then about four adresses down you will see evoulution of star trek generations.

This is the same blooming address I posted in the link above but for some reason will not go to that page :confused:

Anyway click this on and you will find out all the info on whats missing from the film. :smashin:

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Go to trekweb.com

click on features.

Then.

Article archive.

scroll down to sep 5 2001.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smashin:

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paramount suck i would like to see them use seamless branching and for them to give us an extended edition and the original cinema version but like they have done with the Friday The 13th forthcoming boxset all we have to look forward to is a deleted scenes section ( at least theyre giving us DTS ) i'm looking forward to First Contact in DTS early next year :)

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have got a feeling that once all these special editions are out paramount will re release them again as super special mega collectors editions with extra footage and all the bells and knobs on! ;)

Look at what we have had with the starwars movies!!!

I would defenatly like to see the version looked at oin the trekweb site though. That version of generations would have more kirk in it and that my friends can only be a good thing "I dont need to be lectured by you!, I was out saveing the galaxy while your grand father was still in diapers!" :smashin:

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    I can only tell you what I remember seeing all those years ago when I saw Generation in the cinema. I clearly remember a scene where Soran tells Geordie he has placed a nanoprobe in his body which was technology from the Borg and that he can stop his heart for upto a minute without causing brain damage, surely I wouldnt be able to remember specific lines that were said if I had just read up about the missing scene.

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    I can only tell you what I remember seeing all those years ago when I saw Generation in the cinema. I have sent an email to the BBFC to see if they can shed any light on this, maybe the place I saw the film was sent a workprint release by mistake which contained more scenes than the standard theactrical release.

Either way I am just glad they are putting some decent extras together for the SE release, the standard release of Generations has nothing at all, not even a trailer which is quite bad but then it did have an anamorphic transfer which the R1 release didnt have so guess you cant get everything hehe.

What are the chances though that when the 2 Disc SE of Nemesis is released at the end of next year that there will be a 20 Disc Movie Collection Boxset with exclusive extras to to annoy all of Trek fans who have bought the single SE releases.

14. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Nemesis SE/CE won't be out until 2006; next year will see First Contact at the start, and Insurrection at the end. Expect Nemesis mid '06.

15. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Indianajones.

Did you see the article on trekweb.com that I was on about in the above posts.

You are right in what you are saying about soran talking to geordi about the probe but the scene was originally over 2 minuets and now runs for just over a minuet.

Find the article on trekweb. I have explained how to get to it above. It explaines all about this scene and all the other scenes that were cut out and trimmed. This also includes all the slight edits and differents takes and camera angles as well.

Like you said there is a scene with soran and geordi but the actuall torture part was taken out of the finall version of the film. It was removed by paramount and not for censorship reasons, so the bbfc may not have any info on this.

Please try and find the article on trekweb.com. If what is mentio0ned in it is what you saw then perhaps you did see a work print version of the film. I saw the film twice. once in the states when I was on holiday and again when it came out over here. Both versions were the same with soran only interaging geordi and not actually torturing him. wheather or not all the cut scenes make it onto the disc or not remains to be seen.

trekweb.com.

Features.

article archive.

scroll down to sep 5 2001. :thumbsup:

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    trekweb.com

features.

article archive.

sep 5 2001. :smashin:

17. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are cases, especially it seems with Trek films, where the first TV version contains scenes no other has - some TV companies alter them to better suit the TV audience.

For example, I believe the The Wrath of Khan TV cut featured scenes not seen anywhere else until recently. Maybe an early TV showing of Generations had the Geordie torture scene included.

18. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wonder if Paramount will simply repackage the current Nemesis DVD release with a Collectors/Special Edition case or if the deleted scenes will be re-cut into the film.

19. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    I read through the entire article and the torture scene they describe is defently what I saw all those years ago.

I just dont understand why they removed the scene for the standard theactrical release, it made alot more sense when I saw the film in the cinema with the scene included because later on when Soran said "His heart just wasent in it" I knew what he ment because Soran explains about the nanoprobe being able to stop his heart and later on when Geordie is in sickbay Dr Crusher says she removed the nanoprobe, with the actual torture scene missing you dont even find out Soran used a nanoprobe or what he was using it for even though it is mentioned at different points in the film.

I hope that they put this scene back into the film for the DVD release or at least make it a deleted scene because if they leave it out all together it would be a great shame, guess we will just have to wait until september to find out.

20. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well all I can say is sorry for doubting you indianjones :) I know for a fact that the two vesions i saw here and in the states did not have the full tourture scene in them. Perhaps an almost finished work print or test print was the one you saw.

Anyway we could debate this untill warp drive gets invented ;) so here is hoping that the collecters edition sheds some more light on the situation :thumbsup:
    Dave.

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    No problem mate, maybe the commentary track will shed some light on why the scene was removed but I am still hoping for a new edit of the film :)

On a slightly related topic, did anyone else notice that Voyager was in the teaser trailer for First Contact, I know at the time the film was in pieces so they had to use shots from other films and series but why stick Voyager in the trailer. The scene in the trailer was not filmed for the TV series so they must have created it from scratch, could never figure out why they did that, maybe they were planning on ending Voyager and having them get home at the end of season 3 so they could be in the battle but then decided to carry it on for a few more seasons so didnt include it.

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  23. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Maybe Voyager was once a potential design for the Enterprise-E.

24. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  25. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I thought the whole film was one long torture scene :thumbsdow :clown:

Never been so disappointed in a film as I was with ST:Generations :(

26. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  27. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I can confirm I saw Generations on it's opening night in Leceister Sq and the Geordie torture scene was definitely not there. Shame as I would have liked to have seen it - hopefully it will be in the re-release although on the plyusa site it only mentions an orbital skydiving deleted scene so far.

28. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This was also one of the biggest disappoints for me at the time. I always look forward to a new trek film and usually get caught up in the hype, and invariably build up my expectation too high. However, when I re-watch a trek film for a second time I usually end up enjoying it much more.

Generations was one of the worst cases for this becuase for some reason The Sun newspaper decided to get involved big time in all the hype. I collected the vouchers they were printing and used them for a promotional video of the film. The problem with this is that it contained all the best bits of the action sequences including showing you how they filmed the saucer section crashing. When it came to actually watching the film I felt like I'd seen most of it already.

29. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    Guess where I saw the film didnt get the proper theatrical release then and was sent a nearly finished workprint or test print as I remember the torture scene, would be a shame if they dont edit it back into the film or at least give it as a deleted scene.

Also, deleted scenes confirmed for the releases are "Orbital Skydiving" , "Walking the Plank", "Christmas with the Picards" and "Alternate Ending"

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had exactly the same experience! :laugh: :rolleyes: I don't usually get hyped up about films, but I was a huge TNG fan at the time and really believed that the film could be special... it wasn't.

I have definitely seen this scene - I must have seen it on the Laser Disc version, I think the torture scene was on there too, but I can't be sure as it was many years ago now...