1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generally speaking.... Sony or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mazzah, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Mazzah

Mazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can someone help me. I've got about 1500 to spend. I would like a CRT tv with great sound and picture. 28 or 32". I've always fancied the kv36100 sony but after reading the bad reviews, the fact that it is being discontinued (from a sony spokesperson) and sometimes greenish tint(!) I'm thinking twice. Apparently it's still a good set, and have been told to go with it, but now I'm not so sure. Can I get a better panasonic for the price do you think.
    I would like someone to say to me xxx is the best tv to get.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mazzah,
    with £1500 to spend you would get alot of crt for that, but i`d spend 1/2 of that (£850) & get a toshiba 36zp48 which comes with 5.1 dolby digital surround sound. its an exellent tv.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you have choice of top end 32" and 36£ CRT sets LCD and DLP RPTVs upto 50", 42" and 37" SD plasma so alot of choice!!!!

4. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would have to be utterly insane to spend 1500 quid on a 28" or even a 32" tv, unless you couldnt fit anything bigger into a room. Look into somethng bigger or spend about 900 quid on a 32 and spend the rest on other equipment

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, of course its your 'call' but I'm disappointed that you aren't considering the Toshiba 32ZP48. As already mentioned (and in my own opinion) for the money the picture and sound is stunning. Regards, yt.

6. Mazzah

Mazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only thing is when I went into the Sony store today, they told me to stay away from plasmas and the other kind (can't remember) as they only last about 7 years before the tube needs replacing. And you can't see the screen picture if you're not sitting directly in front of the tv.
    Is 1500 quid too much then? I thought the more the better....I'm just a mug then....!
    Just gonna look at that Toshiba you suggested. I'm so crap at research, I've done a bit, but there hasn't been anything that tickled my fancy as the sony did. I would like something on par.
    Thanks for your help and time!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Utter rubbish Panny plasmas have a rated life of 60,000 hours to half brightness veiwing angle is better/as good as CRT...Please do tell which Sony Centre??? Plasma and LCD will last as long as CRT for £1500 you can get a 50" RPTV (have some veiwing angle issues....) a 42" plasma and hang it on a wall!!!!!! or spend £8-900 on a CRT (getting a good 36" CRT is hard as geometry is often way out and they ar prone to "issues") and get a good sound system to go with it!!!!!

8. Mazzah

Mazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all who helped with my decision. I did like a lovely crt panasonic for 1500 which was nice, but the chap in John Lewis said it wouldn't be of par quality, so struck out that option. Then looked at this lovely 3k crt by sony, but obviously waaay out of my budget. So just went for the KV36HQ100 last Friday. Only............. to find out they've stuck a B on the end of the model. They've only gone and modified it! Arse. It's got good enough reviews. Am waiting for Tottenham Court Road to give me a price so I can decide whether I want to upgrade or not.
    Cheers all!
    I've my 17" Panasonic for yearsssssssssssssss

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    hmm, could the 'B' stand for Black? (ie not the standard silver model?)