General Workouts

View attachment 780849
This was today's effort.
Felt pretty good afterwards so I went on to to do :
3x10 25 straight arm rope pull downs (for the back)
3 x 15 7kg single arm bicep curls (right video still feeling the effects of tendinitis)
10 x hanging knee raises
3 x 1 minute punching on punchbag 45s rest
1 minute left leg kicking the bag and 45s rest
1 minute right leg kicking the bag - 45s rest.
Repeat both
60s punching flat out.

Pec Dec cable machine 35kg 3 x 10

Then i went on the boditrax and found to my dismay that since the 14th October my numbers are moving in the wrong direction.
To summarise, since then I've put on 2g of fat and lost 1.2kg of muscle mass.

Not over overly bothered by the loss in muscle mass but the increase in fat bothers me.

But then I thought about it, I've not been training as regularly as I should and 2 weeks ago I had a couple of days on the beer and doughnuts so I reckon if I had taken my measurements a week ago then they would've been a lot worse!
Still, it's all about personal responsibility isn't it. It's all about my choices, especially as I know the consequences of them so I can't claim ignorance....

Today's workout....

Not trained much in the past few weeks and had a week on a beach holiday all inclusive where I expected to put on a few pounds... Mega food, ice cream, booze and spirits... All day everyday...
Lost 1kg in muscle, gained 2.3kg of fat! But all in all not too bad.

So back to the workout...
Killer for the legs, killer for the abs, but the pushup thing wasn't too bad and the 30s rest seemed to only last 10 seconds... I think my quads will be aching for the next couple of days..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161117-200830.png
    Screenshot_20161117-200830.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20161117-200830.png
    Screenshot_20161117-200830.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 63
yep, pretty much the same for me when we were away last week... mondays kettlebell class was hard haha...

I'm so jealous! Have this bloody forearm tendonitis thing going on and it can be excruciating. Just carrying groceries is enough.

Missed a update or two.. This was Fridays one..
Screenshot_20161121-150752.png

Started with 4 x 2min of skipping then went into this.

Then today... No skipping first so I had a bit more energy..
Screenshot_20161121-150653.png

Felt great afterwards so decided to do some deadlifts..
First time in months..
3 x 70kg
3 x 80kg
3 x 90kg
3 x 100kg
2 x 110kg
2 x 120kg

My pb is 130kg. Still felt strong so put it into 132.5kg.

Couldn't get the damn thing off the floor! I was absolutely gutted! Had about 5 goes at it too.

I know I've spent the last 3 months only doing bodyweight training and I've had the bicep tendinitis (which held out fine) but I was still peed off because I felt good!
Went over and did 3 x 8 overhead press at 40kg after that, just on anger and frustration!

I'm about to start a set of 7 night shifts so I'm unsure when I'll be training next..

Last edited:
Screenshot_20161122-125723.png

Today's effort. Don't know if it was because of yesterday's and the deadlifts but this was damn near impossible. After the first round I didn't think I would be able to finish it.
After the second round, I didn't want to finish it!
Not sure how, except for I had to keep stopping for a few seconds here and there, I got it done.

Spent the next 10 minutes actually laying on the floor!
Then decided to do some bench press as a finisher.
Got on the incline bench (not been there for months) and did:
10 x 20kg
10 x 40kg
10 x 40kg
10 x 50kg

On a fresh day I could go a bit heavier or more volume, but not today.
Now, home for scrambled end on wholemeal rice cakes and bed. Then up in a couple of hours, school run etc etc then I start work at 10pm tonight.

Screenshot_20161130-193633.png

This was today.. Then I went and improvised a world with dumbells and cable to hit chest, back and biceps followed by 3 X 2 minutes skipping with 45s rest between each round...

nice one, just done this before -
Push –

3x8 dumbbell benchpress @ 34kg

3x8 incline dumbbell benchpress @ 30kg

3x8 cable side raise @ 8.75kg

8x8 dips - suppersetted with 5 burpees

Various cable tricep pushdowns -

3x8 Cable Rope High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension @ 28.25kg

3x8 cable pulldown – double hand of new metal attachment @ 33.25kg

3x8 single handed cable pulldowns drops sets – palms up, and palms down starting at 11.75kg

5x20 medicine ball throws @10kg

Last edited:
Had a spare 45 mins today so....
Screenshot_20161203-190322.png

Followed by 3 X 2mins skipping with 45s rest periods in between the rounds..

No exercise for me for 4 weeks! I can already feel the fat grinning at me.
Hopefully I'll be fit for Bike park Wales at the end of Jan and can crack on with the gym again

Not sure how but I've not had time to get down there lately. Think it's because I've had builders in for 2 weeks so if I'm not at work, I'm at home dealing with them..

Post pneumonia recovery is now nearly 100%, spinning 3-4 per week between an 30-60 mins and just changed to 1 set to failure chest/shoulders/tris, quads/back/bi's twice a week. Since the illness in July I've added an inch to arms, chest, thighs and dropped 2 off the waist.

Post pneumonia recovery is now nearly 100%, spinning 3-4 per week between an 30-60 mins and just changed to 1 set to failure chest/shoulders/tris, quads/back/bi's twice a week. Since the illness in July I've added an inch to arms, chest, thighs and dropped 2 off the waist.
Good work mate, keep it up. Hopefully I'll find time to get down there soon!

I do this at home, spin bike and dumbells, no faffing, I've always been pretty disciplined and motivated.

Does anybody have any experience working with those adjustable/selectable dumbbells? I'm on the verge of buying a set, I'm not sure if I should buy them? The only thing putting me off is the bulkiness of them, it looks like they can hinder full movement ie 2 dumbbells bump off each other in different exercises.

Space is limited and they tick all the boxes but if the exercises are going to suffer etc I may give them a miss.

Does anybody have any experience working with those adjustable/selectable dumbbells? I'm on the verge of buying a set, I'm not sure if I should buy them? The only thing putting me off is the bulkiness of them, it looks like they can hinder full movement ie 2 dumbbells bump off each other in different exercises.

Space is limited and they tick all the boxes but if the exercises are going to suffer etc I may give them a miss.

I saw some on Ebay and all the reviews I read suggested I stay away from them.

I got a pair of rubber encased 15kg ones which are ace! Second hand and a bargain. In collaboration with a set of metal dumbells where I can vary the weight, they do everything I need. I find that I only use around 12-15kg weight range anyway.

Lucky they only glow and don't sweat eh![emoji23]

Had a month off with bursitis and cellulitis of my right knee..
Workout changed a bit too.
Weighted press-ups/ Pullovers.
Shrugs/lat raise.
Rows/bent over raise.
Shoulder press/front raise.
Tricep dip/hammer curl..
2 Sets 3/4 times a week..
Cardio, just started again.. And joined in with these girls..

Supps, Alpha for men vit, Omega and, Joint plus.. On a diet at the mo so no bread, tatties or cheese, biscuits, alcohol.... Cheat day on Sun..

So after 4 months oh the 5x5 Stronglifts I decided to mix it up a bit.
I've put together a 3 day push, pull, legs split using the app JEFIT. It's a good app but there is a bit of a learning curve.

No way of sharing my program from within the app so I've screenshot it for posting here.

I've tweaked it a bit from its first incarnation due to the push day bring far too tricep dominant, meaning they got tired early then I couldn't really work the pecs too much with the rest of the program.

So I'm using a lot lighter for since of the weights, some by quite a lot but I'm concentrating on 10 quality slow and controlled reps on each set. So far it's been good for me and each day takes about an hour in total to complete, not including warm up, cool down and stretching.
My body is responding well to it even after just a couple of weeks of it so I'm interested in setting how it goes.
Strange thing is, I'm so used to doing 5x5 that reps 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are as mentally challenging as they are physically! Really have to work hard to stay focused but gives me a chance to work on the mind muscle connection.

I've also dialed in some core work on each session making sure I'm doing abs and obliques. It's working, I'm getting stronger there and some oblique development.

Also, using dumbells mostly is really identifying my weak areas, ie left hand grip.
On leg day I was doing dumbell stiff legged deadlifts with 30kg dumbells and my left hand grip gave out first!
Think I've been hiding some weaknesses behind the barbell...

When the app says hyperextension, that is actually Glute Ham Raises done to straight back by pushing the feet hard down and together. Absolutely amazing exercises when done like this and incredibly challenging!

Also the captains chair knee raises have gone through a few tweaks and are now legs bent and thighs horizontal abs contact the abs hard curl the knees up towards the chest.
Because of the scoliosis, I find Ab work done flat on my back on the floor very uncomfortable and makes my hips and lower back really hurt. This way and planking, no pain.

Anyways, I'll try to attach the screenshots... Obviously I've not doubled up on any exercises, it's just the way the screen shot works..
Screenshot_20170504-201220.png
Screenshot_20170504-201224.png
Screenshot_20170504-201232.png
Screenshot_20170504-201236.png
Screenshot_20170504-201244.png
Screenshot_20170504-201247.png

Last edited:
Leg day.... Gutted, thought it was Pull Day...

Still hate the leg extension, it's my nemesis, leaves me walking like a baby giraffe..
Screenshot_20170506-150908.png
Screenshot_20170506-150912.png

Leg day.... Gutted, thought it was Pull Day...

Still hate the leg extension, it's my nemesis, leaves me walking like a baby giraffe.. View attachment 858648View attachment 858649
Finished up today with 3x2 min rope jumping (skipping) with 45s rest in between.
Then we went for a 3.5 mile walk through a country park.... After leg day.....

Oh dear...

Today's Pull session... Had to deload for the last set of lat pull downs as I was putting in too much cheat to get it done.

The rest was ok and I think I'll consider increasing the weight by 5kg on the rows and increase the pullups by one on each set.

Still struggle with the bicep curls from the fully extended position, makes a massive difference. If I start it and let it go about 10 degrees from straight then I can move a lot more weight.

Baby steps....
Screenshot_20170508-144115.png
Screenshot_20170508-144110.png

Today's push session...
Think I'm ready to stay making some incremental weight increases now because I didn't max out on any of these and I started it feeling tired...
Screenshot_20170509-112510.png
Screenshot_20170509-112517.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom