General Workouts

shodan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So as I've decided to branch out from the 5x5 system (although I will still use it a couple of times a month for the strength), I thought I'd start another thread for recording and sharing the workouts.
Hopefully we may be able to pick up ideas from eachother, maybe new exercises etc and discuss what we like and don't like...

So I'm fortunate in that my missus has just qualified as a level 3 personal trainer (and has straight away for a job at the local David Lloyd gym!) and it's doing a 8 week progressive plan for me based on my desire to burn more fat - I'd like to lose another 2" off my waist, and build muscle as well as improve my fitness.
Fortunate in that I don't pay for it and she is available to me at all times to discuss and tweak the program.

So I'll probably post it up here for all to see when it's done.

So starters for 10, this was yesterday's workout..
Legs are grumbling at me today....

Skipping is 2 mins on, 30s static stretching and repeat 5 times.

Punchbag is 14oz , 1 mins on, 30seconds trying to catch my breath to not throw up...

All other rest periods were 60 seconds and no rests between the different exercises..

** Skipping **

- 02:00

** Barbell Squat **

- 60.0 kgs x 10 reps [PR]

- 60.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 60.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 60.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Barbell Row **

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps [PR]

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 50.0 kgs x 10 reps

- 40.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Overhead Press **

- 40.0 kgs x 8 reps

- 40.0 kgs x 6 reps

- 30.0 kgs x 8 reps

- 30.0 kgs x 8 reps

** Punchbag **

- 01:00

Will you be dieting while doing this plan? I am currently doing the Keto diet and I have seen great improvements in terms of muscle growth and fat percentage.

Nope I don't diet. But I do have a very healthy diet anyway and I have decided to stop buying bottles of real ale because if they are in the house then I will drink them. I'm also tightening up on cutting back on the occasional take away to make it even less frequent.
Although Doris has gone through my micros and macros and worked out my BMR, she does all my food (she has other nutrition qualifications too), she has identified that I'm not eating enough and not getting enough protein. I think that on training days I will supplement with a protein shake as I struggle to eat all the food she gives me each day anyway!

Buy I'm up for more meat in my diet, especially cow!

I feel your pain, I do love a bit of ale but they've been put on the back-burner these last few months. At least all those steaks make up for it!

Looks decent, may give it a try as the 5x5 is getting a bit stagnant at the minute.

I need to clear the flat of all chocolate, Easter eggs everywhere! Bloody kids don't like them (only the sweets in the middle) I'm probably not eating enough too, but not sure how to check
Does the workout change?
Edit - picking up my new mountain bike tomorrow, so hoping to get out on that as much as possible over Swinley woods, should help with fast loss

Looks decent, may give it a try as the 5x5 is getting a bit stagnant at the minute.

I need to clear the flat of all chocolate, Easter eggs everywhere! Bloody kids don't like them (only the sweets in the middle) I'm probably not eating enough too, but not sure how to check
Does the workout change?
Edit - picking up my new mountain bike tomorrow, so hoping to get out on that as much as possible over Swinley woods, should help with fast loss
That's not the workout plan, that was just my last workout.
The real plan is progressive and so rep range, weights and volume of sets will increase over 8 weeks, along with cardio and core work...

It's going to be a real test for me, test my mettle..

yep, as you know I did the 5x5 for a while, then progress onto the 10x10 for about 3 months? then onto the 10x6... :)

this week I'm back on the push, pull, leg routine and have made up my own routine which I'm enjoying..this works for me as I can train wed, thurs, and fri... (and kettlebells of a monday)

I find it's best to keep notes of reps and weights - this is the ony way to keep tabs on your progression ime... :)

yep, as you know I did the 5x5 for a while, then progress onto the 10x10 for about 3 months? then onto the 10x6... :)

this week I'm back on the push, pull, leg routine and have made up my own routine which I'm enjoying..this works for me as I can train wed, thurs, and fri... (and kettlebells of a monday)

I find it's best to keep notes of reps and weights - this is the ony way to keep tabs on your progression ime... :)
I have always admired your work ethos, you certainly do put the effort in and you love a kettlebell!
So when you went from 10x10 to 10x6, was that for an increase in weight?

I have always admired your work ethos, you certainly do put the effort in and you love a kettlebell!
So when you went from 10x10 to 10x6, was that for an increase in weight?

thanks for that :)

well, it was this routine -
How To Transform Your Physique With German Volume Training!

and the 10x6 is a variation of the 10x10 - but it said to do them for 6 and 3 weeks respectively - mine was longer..! you dod get a decent pump, but the new routine is a welcome return too :)

from that routine - I like doing the reverse flyes (rear delts) and the skull crushers - they work great with dips for triceps... :)

it's easy - 4 exercises per workout... :)
I'd forget what week I was on :) that's why 5x5 has lasted so long for me, it's all there on my phone, what exercise is next and what weight I need :D

I do need something new though, so will look at this next time I'm in the gym

I'd forget what week I was on :) that's why 5x5 has lasted so long for me, it's all there on my phone, what exercise is next and what weight I need :D

I do need something new though, so will look at this next time I'm in the gym
This is my issue, I need it down it simple and clear. My missus has done my first two days and printed them off but I've still then had to put it all into an app so it's easier for me to follow.
Weight lifting makes me dumb.. Then thankfully I go back to "normal" once the adrenalin subsides!

Week 1 session 1 (upper body)

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 16th April 2016

Warm Up
** Rowing Machine **
- 05:00

Cardio
** Elliptical Trainer **
- 20:00

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
Superset with:
** Press Up's **
- 6 reps
- 6 reps
- 6 reps

** Cable Curl **
- 30.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps
Superset with:
** Cable Overhead Triceps Extension **
- 30.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Overhead Press **
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 35.0 kgs x 6 reps
Tri-sets with:
** Lateral Dumbbell Raise **
- 10.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 2.5 kgs x 6 reps
- 2.5 kgs x 6 reps
Tru-sets with:
** Front Dumbbell Raise **
- 10.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 2.5 kgs x 6 reps
- 2.5 kgs x 6 reps

Gym was busy by now but couldn't get the dumbbells I wanted (7.5kg, maybe 5s)

** Lat Pulldown **
- 50.0 kgs x 12 reps [PR]
- 55.0 kgs x 10 reps [PR]
- 60.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 60.0 kgs x 8 reps

** Plank **
- 1 minute
60s res
- 1 minute
60s rest
- 1 minute

It was a nice workout, not completely exhausting, but I'm aware I've had a good session. Lat pull downs were a bit heavy, but managed to get it done. Could've done with being 5kg lighter maybe..

Last edited:
I did your session earlier, not bad! Kept the weights pretty much the same as you, slightly higher ohp, but lower tricep extension (never done them like the before, was quite tricky)

Bloody starving when I got home! :D

Must be hide the dumb bell week, as I had to use use 9kg, until I found 1 x 6kg so just did alternate arms, 9 was way to heavy

It's not bad is it. On the 5x5 system I was up to just over 50kg on the OHP but it felt good to lower the weight and do Tri-sets.

It's not bad is it. On the 5x5 system I was up to just over 50kg on the OHP but it felt good to lower the weight and do Tri-sets.
I used my next 5x5 weight for the OHP and probably should have lowered it a few Kgs, as my back felt like it was going to snap!

I used my next 5x5 weight for the OHP and probably should have lowered it a few Kgs, as my back felt like it was going to snap!
Lol, that's probably a clue! 67% of your 1 rep Max for hypertrophy to start with...

Today's workout..

FitNotes Workout - Monday 18th April 2016

Wk1 session 2 - Lower Body

** Running (Treadmill) **
- 05:00

** Elliptical Trainer **
- 20:00

** Deadlift ** (Deadlift Superset)
- 75.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 75.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 75.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Good Morning ** (Deadlift Superset)
- 75.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 75.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 75.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Barbell Squat ** (Squat Superset)
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Leg Extension Machine ** (Squat Superset)
- 40.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 40.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Hip Adductor ** (Hip Superset)
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Hip Abductor ** (Hip Superset)
- 55.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps [PR]
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Back Extension ** (Glutes and Hamstrings) 60s rest interval
- 6 reps
- 6 reps
- 6 reps

** Plank ** 60s rest interval
- 1 min
- 1 min
- 1 min

Fortunate in that I don't pay for it and she is available to me at all times to discuss and tweak the program.

Lucky man :laugh:. So it's basically upper/lower splits then?

I've my own reasons to come off SL5x5:
1- Recovery with every workout squats
2- Days available. Yes there were 3/4 days I could go but no rests eg M,T,off,Thu,Fri,off,off.
3- lack of neural adaptation. It was low wt with low rep and I was not even getting warmed up. The wts did went up quick but body muscles were not adapted properly.
4- single set of deadlifts.
5- got bored :rolleyes:

Lucky man :laugh:. So it's basically upper/lower splits then?

I've my own reasons to come off SL5x5:
1- Recovery with every workout squats
2- Days available. Yes there were 3/4 days I could go but no rests eg M,T,off,Thu,Fri,off,off.
3- lack of neural adaptation. It was low wt with low rep and I was not even getting warmed up. The wts did went up quick but body muscles were not adapted properly.
4- single set of deadlifts.
5- got bored :rolleyes:
Did you follow the warm up routine? A lot of people seem to miss this out, so you wouldn't be warmed up and it would feel like you hadn't done a lot.

I did warm ups but not aware SL has it's own specific sets. what are they like?

Back in the gym tomorrow morning for upper body again...
Dreading it already! My traps and glutes and in pieces at the moment!

I shall report back tomorrow....

I did warm ups but not aware SL has it's own specific sets. what are they like?
You need the paid for app, it's a small donation and in my opinion worth it, also signed up to beta test and we now have Android wear support, which is great for those of us with watches :)

Hopefully in gym tomorrow, so will try the next part of your workout

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom