General Use Laptop - Which one?

craigy_b

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for a general use laptop to replace an old desktop pc.

I'm looking to spend about £500 max and I'm looking for at least a 15" display. It will be used for uni work for my wife, low tech gaming and general web browsing.
Battery life isn't important, it probably wont be out the house much, weight isn't an issue either. Blu-ray isn't important.
Generally looking at a larger HDD, 1TB or over and a decent processor, possibly i5?

Buy HP Pavilion 15-p189sa 15.6” Laptop - White | Free Delivery | Currys

15.6 Asus Dual Core i5 NVIDIA GT 720M Graphics Windows 8 Laptop - X550CC-XO108H - Scan.co.uk

Any opinions on the above laptops?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

I was looking for a basic laptop and picked up the Lenovo B50-30 Laptop from Ebuyer for £189.99 then £159.99 after cashback.
Not that best laptop by any means but it suits my needs.

Hope you find one.

I was looking for a basic laptop and picked up the Lenovo B50-30 Laptop from Ebuyer for £189.99 then £159.99 after cashback.
Not that best laptop by any means but it suits my needs.

Hope you find one.

My wife has just asked me to start looking for a replacement laptop to replace a Samsung Chromebook, and did spot the laptop you have bought - whats your thoughts on it? Do you think it would be suitable for someone who does a lot of web browsing, blog posting, youtube video and music services? i understand it is a very cheap laptop but what is the likelihood of playing very basic games on it?

My wife has just asked me to start looking for a replacement laptop to replace a Samsung Chromebook, and did spot the laptop you have bought - whats your thoughts on it? Do you think it would be suitable for someone who does a lot of web browsing, blog posting, youtube video and music services? i understand it is a very cheap laptop but what is the likelihood of playing very basic games on it?

I'm impressed with it mate, good robust laptop with a brilliant touchpad and keyboard!
I think it's great for general use and mostly web browsing, I actually have been playing some windows games on it and they work fine, I'm not sure whether it would play the bigger games or not.
One thing I did need t do was remove a bit of the bloatware that came on it, mainly the stuff from Levono themselves. Once I did this it was running even faster.
I have to say for the price no one could complain about this one, superb value for money!!

HP Stream 13-c009sa 13" Laptop - Blue Deals | PC World

HP Stream 11 Laptop (Horizon Blue) - HP Store UK

For portability, plus full copy of windows 8.1, a small fast boot drive, Office 365.

Then use the remaining money for a desktop, if you aren'e going to take the powerful computer out of the house.

On the two linked laptops, i would be happier having at least 4GB ram installed on any laptop we buy just to give us some overhead. The OH actually bought the same laptop as toonarmy3 but have had to send it back as Lenovo left a screw or something floating around which made a rattling noise behind a panel which had a warranty sticker covering a screw hole so we couldn't remove it ourselves without losing the warranty on the machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom