General TV question (16th Nov - now choice to make, opinions required please)

Dodgexander

OK, cheers, back to the q80a then probably, but I'm getting mixed reports of panel type in the UK
If you have reports of it using an IPS type panel (ADS) please link them.
As far as we are aware in Europe it should be using a VA type panel, whereas in the America's its using IPS.

They change panel types in different regions, but they are also guilty of changing panel types on the same TV, different unit to unit within one region, so it's important to share any info you find on it.

dimmockg

Sure, I'll dig it out, to be fair it was worded pretty much as you worded it above, I'll have a hunt

Dodgexander

There's no proof they have reviewed TVs that have an IPS type panel. Their videos seem to be overviews of picture quality results from rtings.com which is a Canadian website.

Flatpanelshd.com are also likely quoting the panel being ADS because of the rtings.com review in the US. They also haven't reviewed the TV.

You can see from this thread:

The panel should be VA. This research is based on looking up spare parts for the TV in Europe, namely finding spare T-Con boards for each TV which show the brand of panel being used. In Europe, the branded T-Con boards are only available from manufacturers that sell VA type panels, and not IPS type (ADS).

dimmockg

Checking the table in the link posted above, it states the qn90 is likely to be ADS unless it has 'ultra wide viewing ' angle.

I've looked on the Samsung website at the qn90 and it quotes as 'wide viewing ' angle (so no ultra), is it safe to say that in the absence of ultra the qn90 is not a VA panel?

Thanks

Dodgexander

Unfortunately, you can't rely on their website, they will say the TV has good viewing angles regardless of whether it comes with the filter or not.

ADS panels already have wider viewing angles, so they don't need to filter.

What the table means is the TV, if it comes with the additional filter will be using VA, but if it doesn't it will come with an ADS panel.

Only way to know for certain is to access the service menu of the TV.

Although there are some tricks you can use:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom