General TV question (16th Nov - now choice to make, opinions required please)

dimmockg

General TV based question to the experts on here.....

I currently have a 2018 Samsung qled TV, a samsung qe55q6fnatxxu to be precise.

I've got wind that we're potentially getting a performance based bonus at work in November's pay - which is exceptional appreciated all things considered.

Anyway, my question is.....

Would a TV in the realms of say about £1000 today be a significant upgrade over what I have?

I'd probably stick to the same size (55) and my sources are...

PS5 (disc based), Netflix, amazon prime

My current TV doesn't have earc and is plugged into my gen 1 sonos beam.

I game occasionally but use the ps5 for uhd/4k films as well.

Cheers

dimmockg

Lovely, thanks for confirming.

Alas, I don't think I could run to the C1 tbh, I also get a decent discount with Samsung via a work scheme so that's why I tend to get Samsung TVs.

Having said that there are some decent options around the 1k mark

Dodgexander

Samsung don't make OLEDs yet, they are still making LCD TVs, although that's set to change soon.
There are some good high end LCD TVs from them in 2021 lines though, just be sure to be careful with panel types since it can differ depending on the model and size.

Q80A and up would be a good upgrade, if you're shopping 55" then you might want to avoid the QN85A though. QN9xA models are the best, and the only ones that really rival an OLED.

dimmockg

Thanks again for the reply and info. I had done some reading of panel types etc vs my needs and what I had now.

Oddly enough the Samsung Q80A is a strong contender - which I understand has a VA panel.

dimmockg

OK, much much more reading and research

I was going for the Samsung q80aat - but I'm getting conflicting reviews regarding the panel, some places say VA some say IPS. So undecided on that.

I'm also considering the Sony XR55X90JU at around £900 with 5 year warranty.

My set up is ps5, sonos beam 2. Viewing always straight on, mix of gaming and tv/films/amazon/Netflix. Seldom watch sports as don't pay for any of them.

Room is generally low lit/dim and no windows reflect on the TV.

So kind of deciding on the above really, the Samsung I can get from very with 20% off which makes it a cracking price, alas the Sony I can't get for much cheaper anywhere else.

Now with very, the LG c1 is also 20% off which brings that down to £960.

My only reservations with very is standard manufacturing warranty from what I can see, nothing extended like other retails who offer 5.

Thoughts between the Samsung and Sony panel initially? Or alternatives up to/around £800/£850

Cheers

dimmockg

Thanks for the info

LG is good from very at £960 but the 1 year (or manufacturers only) warranty is holding me back - also the same for the Samsung from very as well

kosymodo

Thanks for the info

LG is good from very at £960 but the 1 year (or manufacturers only) warranty is holding me back - also the same for the Samsung from very as well

Some say that there are details of an extended warranty from LG in the box when you open it.

Otherwise, another route you could take would be that Smart Cover offer TV insurance for £8.99/mth with a claim limit of £500. That would cover screen replacement which is I believe £250ish through LG themselves.

I'm also in the very same boat, weighing up a Very order I have due to be delivered next week...

dimmockg

Was all set (no pun intended) to go for the LG C1, but the warranty issue and reports of HDR input issues is a no from me

Bit of a godsend as my employee portal discounts have been refreshed today and some other sets have had revised offers

I'm back looking at the qa80 or the qn90 now

Dodgexander

Every TV has something that will put you off if you read into it enough. The LGs actually are probably one of the most robust TVs overall. I'd rate Samsung models generally to have more issues, that's in part down to the fact they are using Mediatek chips in their TVs whereas LG use an in-house solution.

Do you have a link to these HDR input issues?

dimmockg

Sure, here is the link....

Seems there is a fix coming soon potentially.

I think the sway back to Samsung is the 5 year warranty if I'm being honest, if very did 5 years then I'd still grab an LG but I'm not prepared to pay extra on top etc

kosymodo

Sure, here is the link....

Seems there is a fix coming soon potentially.

I think the sway back to Samsung is the 5 year warranty if I'm being honest, if very did 5 years then I'd still grab an LG but I'm not prepared to pay extra on top etc
The LG issue is not an HDR issue, it’s a HDCP 2.2 issue. WhatHiFi misreported it (or at least their headline did)

dimmockg

OK, decision between....

Sony XR55X94JU (£837)
Samsung QE55Q80A (£599)
Samsung Qn90 55" (£911)

Out of the three I'm angling more toward the Sony or the QN90

Decided against an OLED at this moment in time

Dodgexander

Check here: Lost in confusion....

There are QN90A models that are using IPS panels, which for most people makes them much, much worse choices than other TVs around the same price. With Samsung you want to aim for the QN9XA models like QN94A or QN95A, not the QN90A.

Apart from that its hard to ignore the Q80A which is brighter than the Sony X90J (X94J is the same TV) but costs a lot less. Bear in mind though, these two models are not true HDR TVs and do not meet the generally accepted baseline of 1000 nits for an LCD TV to properly display HDR.

dimmockg

Thanks for the informative reply

Had a look on curry's on way home from work as wanted to see a few side by side.

I've definitely ruled out the Sony X94J, picture just didn't seem as nice as the others above.

I was under the impression that the 55" QN90 used a VA panel?

I also clocked a couple of the OLED models out on display, 2 really decent ones from LG (C1 and B1) and one from Sony (£100 dearer than the C1)

OLED PQ looked absolutely stunning, certainly next level compared to the Samsung and Sony Q80A and the 94J

dimmockg

@Dodgexander

Been doing even more research and I think your comment above has hit the nail on the head... deffo hard to ignore the Samsung q80a. Pound per pixel so to speak I think it's going to suit my needs completely and at the price I can get it for it's impossible to discount it really.

So I think that's going to be my choice

Dodgexander

Just seen a Sony
KE55XH9005PBU

Decent price on amazon, looks a decent TV with VA panel
That's last years X90J, even dimmer and with no dedicated picture processor unfortunately. Like the X90J its fine for an SDR TV, but really pushing it to be used for HDR.

The X90J/Q80A just about make the mark, but the picture will be flat and dark in some titles compared to TVs that are 1000 nits minimum.

dimmockg

OK, cheers, back to the q80a then probably, but I'm getting mixed reports of panel type in the UK

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett